Remember iPhones has GPS tracking turn them in to the lifeguard or hotel!!!!

I'll take an iPhone home anytime. And they better not be banging on my door if I called and I'm trying to return it.

The problem is sometimes the owner will let the cops do the banging on the door. It's not worth taking them home any more then having to explain this to the judge or DA.

... It's not worth taking them home any more then having to explain this to the judge or DA.

Not worth ? That would be true, if the high percentage of return-stories ended up in "judges" and "DA's". But .... seriously ... can you point to a single instance of "judges" and "DA's" coming-about d/t an md'r finding (and attempting to return) a cell-phone ? Aside from a few "shark-attack" stories ? I bet you can't . :roll:

Let's put it this way: If YOU ever lost your smart phone (complete with pictures, etc...) would you want someone to attempt to return it ? I bet you would .

And ... sure ... "giving it to the nearest cop or lifeguard" is certainly an option. However, I have heard of stories where ... quite honestly ... they make very little effort to find the owners. Especially with police L&F depts, which have "bigger fish to fry".

For example: I have heard of class rings easily united to owners by md'rs, that police L&F dept's supposedly hit a "dead-end" on.

Not worth ? That would be true, if the high percentage of return-stories ended up in "judges" and "DA's". But .... seriously ... can you point to a single instance of "judges" and "DA's" coming-about d/t an md'r finding (and attempting to return) a cell-phone ? Aside from a few "shark-attack" stories ? I bet you can't . :roll:

Let's put it this way: If YOU ever lost your smart phone (complete with pictures, etc...) would you want someone to attempt to return it ? I bet you would .

And ... sure ... "giving it to the nearest cop or lifeguard" is certainly an option. However, I have heard of stories where ... quite honestly ... they make very little effort to find the owners. Especially with police L&F depts, which have "bigger fish to fry".

For example: I have heard of class rings easily united to owners by md'rs, that police L&F dept's supposedly hit a "dead-end" on.

I want have too anymore....but I rather hear a lecture from the local boys from my police department than having a crazy butt hole banging on my door!!! You might have some nice tourist in your area??? But the ones we get are terrible, rude, disrespectful. That's why I call them APC's (alcoholics potheads crackheads) that's what we got that comes for vacation here.....if there driving a nice car or truck well there probably a drug dealer....

Anybody banging on your door at 6 am that is not a Cop, Should never be answered.

Now if they do not want to give you a little donation I'd just smash them. "Well officer after this jerk called screaming at me and threatening my life I shook and their iPhone fell out of my hands and smashed into a million pieces and now I have a crackhead at 6 am banging on my doors screaming how he wants to kill me if I don't return his iPhone I found buried in the water and if he does not leave I will protect myself and my family and do anything to stop this crackhead from harming me and my family".

"MD, Can you help me find my lost .......'?

NO !!!

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

... You might have some nice tourist in your area??? ...

I don't doubt that some zip codes are nicer-than-other areas. And ... sure .... I would not have $20 bills "hanging out of my pocket" in some bad neighborhoods. Versus others were you can "leave your door-un-locked".

But, with that said, anyone who is of the skittish-personality, can/will see "their area" as potentially crime and legal-ridden.

Example: I live in an upscale high-end ...... shall-we-say .......... "millionaires" community of CA (long story). And if you :

a) read the "police-blotter" column in our local rag, you might conclude that "crime is everywhere".

b) If you asked enough local lawyers and police people : "What are the potential ramifications ?", then ... sure .... someone can paint a bleak picture. Based on their "safe answer" to your "pressing question".

So, the end-result, if we apply the "risk-test" to what you are saying, is that : We md'rs should never attempt a repatriation. Right ?

I had an incident last year. Man was banging on my door demanding his phone. I of course knew i didnt have his phone. he said he tracked it to my house. Finally after trying to convince him...... i recommended he call the police. If they can find the phone by all means ill give it back. He next comment ended the conversation...... when he said he would come in and get it. My comment ..... over your dead body.:lol: He left. He sure didnt want the police to come. Found out later .... Xwifes daughter had it in her car where HE had left it. I guess it can happen....... but like i said .... unless you are an Rss to the police i see not issue here. You could get struck by lightning on the beach too..... so dont go.

Good thread! Next phone I find gets tossed over the left shoulder just like the class rings that aren't Gold.
Let the next fool scoop them up, this fool is done with the drama.

:pirate:

What I find strange is that the human gutter ball banging on your door for YOUR PHONE since YOU FOUND IT, is demanding YOU to give up YOUR PROPERTY without "Enrichment".

If their phone was so important they would have never lost it and would have "Pinged it" before they left the beach.

All phones that YOU dig up are for sale if YOU have it for sale.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

One solution might be to wear a go-pro and video tape all your hunts so in case you end up in court being accused of theft, you'll have video of your innocence..Shoot everyone video tapes everything these days..

Paranoid much??? Better not take a penny off the beach if it's not yours... could cost a ton in legal fees.

LoL 🤣........the cops no!!! The 6.5 foot 400lb guy banging on the door wanting his phone back well yes!!

Not Really

I returned one today, true they do have GPS tracking- however the guy could not tell were i lived , exact location , just give's you close navigation , your returning his phone, he was happy to give me a reward . PS while i am having dinner out and some brew's all on the guy that was happy to get his I phone back today , i will think about your poor soul :lol: , happy hunting . :roll:

Good thread! Next phone I find gets tossed over the left shoulder just like the class rings that aren't Gold.
Let the next fool scoop them up, this fool is done with the drama.

:pirate:

"drama" ? The super remote situations like the video link, are very-much the "fluke" exceptions. Like a shark attack story that makes the news (despite 100,000 who swam in the ocean without incident on the same day). So I would not classify it as "drama". As if it's imminent if we try to be nice-guys.

But if I'm wrong, and there's "drama" connected to anything we find and (gasp) hold for more than a minute, then ... sure ... toss those gold rings back in the surf too. :roll:

There is actually some larger diamonds that are micro-laser inscribed with serial #'s, that can be traced. And I heard of a case where a fellow took his diamond ring find , to a jeweler, to get the stone ID'd . Ie.: "Is it CZ or real diamond ?". When the gemologist inspected it, he could discern the mark under his scope. And that was traced to insurance. Which had it in a data bank of "lost/stolen" , blah blah.

Ok, so you tell me: Is the fellow who brought that ring to the gemologist now guilty of violating the lost & found laws ? Guilty of being in possession of "stolen property" ?

Technically ? Sure. But realistically ? No. Aside from the few ingrate shark-attack stories, .... Not a chance.

... You could get struck by lightning on the beach too..... so dont go.

Exactly. Whenever these fears are tossed about on md'ing forum threads, (of supposed imminent threats we need to be afraid of) I think the same thing :

Sure. And so too might a 747 land on your house and crash (no doubt a newspaper headline I can show you were this actually happened). And so too might you get struck by lightning (I can link you to incidents where this happened after all). And so too might you get chomped by a shark when swimming (happens 1x or 2x per year, on the CA coast-line, that I can prove by links as well).

At some point, you can talk yourself out of leaving your front door in the morning (lest a lion attack you).

.... he was happy to give me a reward . PS while i am having dinner out and some brew's all on the guy that was happy to get his I phone back today ...

Bingo. This is the common story. Not the ingrate stories. And CERTAINLY not "legal ramification" stories.

For anyone who won't take a few steps to return a phone (for fear of legal ramifications), I'll bet that same exact person will gladly accept the help of a good samaritan, who stops to help them when they're having a flat tire in-the-middle of nowhere. So .... why are we so willing to accept the help of others in-our-time-of-need, yet justify our isolation when it comes our-turn to help another fellow human ?

One solution might be to wear a go-pro and video tape all your hunts so in case you end up in court being accused of theft,..

Well ... for starters ... I have-my-doubts that there is any reason to fear, in the first place.

But if there *were* a reason to fear, then the method you describe, to prove we "found" it, and didn't "steal" it, is technically still indefensible . Here's why :

If we're talking L&F laws, then technically, if you "find" something, yet keep it (overnight, a week, a month, or show & tell it to others, etc...), then you are already in violation of the L&F laws.

Every state has L&F laws . Typically triggered by any item that exceeds $100 value, for example. Laws that were born out of wandering cattle laws of the 1800's. And we are supposed to be turning in the items to the police. You supposedly get it back in 30 days (after storage/processing fees) if no one claims it.

So even though the go-pro video can prove you only "found" it, yet ... there's a murky fine-line between "found" and "stolen".

But as I say : This is all over-blown tin-foil hat fears. Our forums are FILLED with show & tell. No police or IRS agents are showing up at our houses, knocking on our doors. So this is all much-ado-about nothing.

Tom

Any one that IRATE , I would have had fun, using a public defender, and pulled 44 years of metal detecting equipment in, laughing at them tring to prove me wrong, honesty is the best policy, of coarse I could have called him from the beach , told him I could return the phone to the ocean, but I am not that kind of guy, using the Equinox , 15 coil, Tony's phones , cf shafts 1500 in equipment, my time, you bet we should get rewarded , if all the smart phone owners were made out the way the tread maker said , no one would get there phones back, like bottle caps, pull tabs in the trash , sorry to say your Shark post is very True Tom, BS here I proved it TODAY , fact , not fake news .

Back
Top Bottom