Shark Attack on our equipment

sectshun8

Forum Supporter
As many of you know I work offshore doing oil exploration. This involves miles of towed equipment being dragged through the water. Here are a few pics recently of a shark attacking our stuff. The last two are of the equipment damage. The streamer was severed and the Digicourse "Digibird" was well... destroyed.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 327
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 332
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 332
More often than we'd like. This happened here in the Gulf of Mexico last week. Over in other parts of the world where we go, such as sayyyyy Angola... it happens much more often.

Very cool pictures , Bet that gets expensive if it happens very often .
Can you get shark insurance . lol thanks for the great pictures . HH Harold

Very cool pictures , Bet that gets expensive if it happens very often .
Can you get shark insurance . lol thanks for the great pictures . HH Harold

Oh yeah Harold, that towed equipment is worth millions... so a complete severing of it, we lose quite a bit. The stuff does have auto-deploy recovery bags that bring it back up to the surface, so we can retrieve undamaged portions.

Man, that's crazy and a bummer. :( On the show Mythbusters they towed a plywood cut out of a seal behind a boat. It was amazing how many thiems that thing got hit! I think they said it was every ten minutes! It was pretty crazy to see what those sharks would do to them. They had many on hand beause there were so many shark attacks on them!

Haven't you guys ever seen JAWS?
You need to keep an M-1 handy.
Just wing the shark and his buddies will certainly take care him for you....

Dayum Jimmy.... great photo's... I think you could make a fortune if you can figure out how to prevent that.. save the company millions .. Go for it!! RickO

Dayum Jimmy.... great photo's... I think you could make a fortune if you can figure out how to prevent that.. save the company millions .. Go for it!! RickO

Haha, I know right. Sharks aren't the only nasty's... Sea Turtles jack our stuff up too. They go after anything that may be attached to it or even go after barnacles on the equipment... they've been known to hack our stuff in half before. :shock:

What kind of sharks are those? Besides hungery ones.

this is just a guess but i think that is a blue shark or perhaps mako.

sharks are extreemly sensitive to electromagnetic signals.

it looks like they are drawn by the electrical component of the field. if it were the magnetic they would pro'lly just school around it. the electric field of the digibird must be similar to their prey (usually squid).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_shark

btw last weekend we had a jaws marathon on the local tv station.

Do you think it mistook the equipment for prey? Shark photos give me the heebie-jeebies. Out of all the animals in the world, they seem to look the most evil, beating out scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, and hyenas. You have an interesting job.

Do you think it mistook the equipment for prey? Shark photos give me the heebie-jeebies. Out of all the animals in the world, they seem to look the most evil, beating out scorpions, tarantulas, snakes, and hyenas. You have an interesting job.

i don't know that sharks have color vision or not but i know that there vision is not so great. anyway the digibird sure looks allot like squid which is the favord prey of the blue shark.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid

and yes they have the original cheshire smile. i used to find it creepy too but i have a great admiration for the efficiency of the shark physiology. i have grown to find it elegant.

we have a shark tank bar here in vegas that does allot of billboard advertising.

they always sport that toothy grin. i am not sure but i think that the fish on the billboard was a big lone female great white in a pitch black sea with a submarine spotlight on her big jagged smile. "...visit mandalay shark bar..."

i don't know how to expain it but the shark on the billboard is sort of big girlie version of jaws.:yes:

Wow, that's pretty scarey. But, I guess if we're in their world we can expect to experience their natural instincts. I think we're all learning a little about sharks in this thread. :yes:

Hey Jimmy, I see you're not much of a company man. You stood around taking pictures instead of jumping in and saving the equipment. There goes that bonus. ;) :lol:

I think you need to add a hook on that thing! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom