Vision Deep Silver

Mop Boy

Anyone had any trouble with the Deep Silver program on the Vision? I have tweaked the settings and reset ground balance but still get erratic beeping at different locations.

The Deep Silver program has mixed mode turned on so this program will give a all metal response and a disc response on targets. So it can be a little confusing if you are not familiar with Mixed Mode.

The Rx gain is turned is set to 12, Discrimination sense is set to 90, and finally the all metal sensitivity is set to 70. These setting can be fairly hot and may be just to hot for your ground and the amount of trash/iron in your ground. What I have found is that with a high Rx gain and disc sense, the edge of iron will respond with a good target response and this can create havoc at times.

In some areas I hunt with the V3 I will check to see what the best gain recommendation is and the instrument will say somewhere between 9 and 15. However, this reading is just for the ground and does not take into account all the nails and trash in the ground. I have found by turning the Rx gain down to say something like 5 or 6 the chirps will be minimized and the V3 will be more tolerable and easier to understand.

Also with the 10 inch double d loop it may be a little to big for the site you are hunting in, if there is not good target separation due to the loop size. Where a smaller loop will give better target separation and make it easier to hear what is going on in the ground.

Hope this helps some as these are some of my experience in using the V3.

rcsnake

Great advice from rcsnake above. I've also found that I have to swing MUCH slower in Deep Silver.

Also, I was getting a lot of VDI wrap around and simply rejected +94 & +95. It still gives a nice sound on a true +94 target though...I dug a Canadian dollar coin last week that was wrapping around, but the background was so smooth that I knew it was a legitimate target.

That's right John. Deep silver uses a pretty low frequency filter cut off. You have to cut your sweep speed roughly in half to maintain optimum depth.

Welcome to the land of low and slow! :D Hope to get out with you sometime and see the V in action!
I'm ready to hunt again with you anytime. I know your schedule is tougher that mine...so it's your call.

Remember the place where you found the ring? I've pulled 4 silver coins outta there with the Vision and I don't even know how to spell it yet.:lol:

Some clarification on DD coils

Big SNIPP

Also with the 10 inch double d loop it may be a little to big for the site you are hunting in, if there is not good target separation due to the loop size. Where a smaller loop will give better target separation and make it easier to hear what is going on in the ground.

Hope this helps some as these are some of my experience in using the V3.
rcsnake

I want to complement here on the Double-D coil.

There is almost no loop effect except if targets are within about 1inche of a DD coil.

What you have with a DD coil is an almost perfect blade shaped signal going into the ground. So if you got a 10inch DD, you got a 10inch long blade going into that ground.

The width of that blade is an important factor, something hard to design to be thin, and this is what Minelab improved on the new coil that comes with the Explorer SE PRO, Safari and E-Trac.

In trashy areas you can incur difficulties even with a DD if you have almost surface junk messing with the Coil. To counter this when the possible target is not at the extreme depth capabilities of your metal detector, you raise your coil. And often the target is less masked or you have a cleaner and solely target dependant tone-signal.

In some other trashy areas, the lenght of a DD coils blade will be too long. That case just happened to me last week: I had to switch to my 4 x 7 DD coil instead of my 10inch DD, by losing 3 inches off the blade length made my hunting bearable, more productive, cleaner signals and much less masking.

That is my piece of the puzzle:tumble:

Back
Top Bottom