Ever "show someone the ropes" MDing and later regretted it?

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Once I helped a "friend"get into MDing, even letting him in on some (but not all of my places) and once he got really into it he stopped associating with me. It's nobody on this forum, BTW.

Anyone else ever do that and later regretted it?

Similar regret happened to me after teaching someone how and where to hunt mushrooms. He didn't stop associating with me, but picked my mushrooms and bragged about it. He doesn't even like mushrooms. Just wants to sell them...with no concern for condition. One time, I had a bunch of beautiful mushrooms, and knew a chef who would have bought them, but he turned me down because he already bought some...("they were kind of dirty" He says)...from the guy I mentored...my brother!

Well this is a loaded question. The same question could be asked of ANY person you've ever associated with, for any reason, in any venue. In which case: Sure, everyone on earth has persons who they've not jived with. Persons they regret doing business with, befriending, etc..... And likewise, there's no doubt people on earth, that don't wish to hang with you or I as well.

And the only way to avoid this, is to go live on an island, or never leave your front door in the morning. Lest you take any chance that someone may not be to your liking. But on the all: We are social beings. And on the all, you will tend to benefit when making friends.

While it's true that I've been claim-jumped, or wasted my time with ingrates on occasion, yet : On balance, most persons I take time with will tend to reciprocate, be thankful, etc... The exceptions do not drive the formula.

Lol, it’s the one forum I never lurk on, so don’t really know what the deal is over there. I followed a link and saw Tom getting the RIP treatment [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No shortage of attention-whores and people trying to promote themselves for youtube/book sales/investors, etc. But dont dare ask any of them to show a picture of the "fabulous treasure" they have "found", or to clarify how their claims are 100% opposite of what news stories/police reports/FBI releases state.

Also, never ask any LRL user for proof that LRL works. :lol:

Oh, and never tell an admitted looting grave-robber you are forwarding his posts and photos to his country's gov't.

But on the all: We are social beings. And on the all, you will tend to benefit when making friends. On balance, most persons I take time with will tend to reciprocate, be thankful, etc... The exceptions do not drive the formula.

As a guy ages and gains some experience, he treasures Friends that are like minded and reciprocally inclined...A good friend/hunting partner make you better for the meeting...these are rare...they are truly happy to see you succeed and you likewise to them...

A guy tries to chose carefully on account of some people take more Life out of you than you have left to spare...a good team adds Life to each other...different strengths that cross over to mutual, equal, and positive benefit of those involved...

As Steven J Daniels submits..."A good friend will help you move, but a true friend will help you move a body!"

Last edited:
I talked a friend into metal detecting. I agreed to sell him my 6000Di and was gooing to show him how to use it. He crowded in front of me so I couldn't swing it and had to back up. After a short demonstration I handed it to him. He backed up and swung it where I was going to and found a Mercury dime on his first swing.

.... I saw a whole bunch of people talking about you at TNet, saying they missed you during your ban. What did they hem you up for?

Heh, thanx for the info. My key-word search doesn't work there for right now. So I don't know which thread(s) you are referring to. Got a link(s) ?

To answer your question, it was as Jason so accurately recalls :

.... But dont dare ask any of them to show a picture of the "fabulous treasure" they have "found", or to clarify how their claims are 100% opposite of what news stories/police reports/FBI releases state.

Also, never ask any LRL user for proof that LRL works. :lol: ....

I came down admittedly hard on:

1) A silly CW ghost story legend that was full of holes. Yet the guys who claimed they found (past tense) it, were making a big stink in the news. So-much-so that many md'rs were actually believing something was found. I sought to show how it was all just a starry eyed ghost-story legend. And the clowns were merely dreaming that every "no" they get from the govt. is simply further truth of the treasure. :roll: Or every wiggle of their magic wand is proof of the treasure :roll: (but durned that red tape, or lack of equipment to dig 50 ft. deep, blah blah blah)

2) LRL hocus pocus

The mod came on and said "no more questioning the treasure story" and "no more poking fun at LRL's" (which I had admittedly been very sarcastic in my approach).

But so far ... nothing to ban me. The "ban" came when I dared point out that certain things were beyond question (ie.: Only affirming views allowed). This constituted "questioning the moderator(s)". And that was grounds for banning.

Thanx guys !

I talked a friend into metal detecting. I agreed to sell him my 6000Di and was gooing to show him how to use it. He crowded in front of me so I couldn't swing it and had to back up. After a short demonstration I handed it to him. He backed up and swung it where I was going to and found a Mercury dime on his first swing.

That's fair game. You handed him the detector. That is just jealously.

The mod came on and said "no more questioning the treasure story" and "no more poking fun at LRL's" (which I had admittedly been very sarcastic in my approach).

But so far ... nothing to ban me. The "ban" came when I dared point out that certain things were beyond question (ie.: Only affirming views allowed). This constituted "questioning the moderator(s)". And that was grounds for banning.

Thanx guys !

NSFT! Ya just couldnt help yerself couldja? :laughing::laughing:

As popular as this hobby is, I've never had anyone I know that was interested enough in actually getting out and swinging. My neighbor got a nice Teknetics for his birthday, as far as I know, he's never even turned it on. Most of my friends are into other hobbies or are too busy with household chores or just being couch potatoes.

I've never had a chance to show the ropes to anyone......yet.

HDD

As a guy ages and gains some experience, he treasures Friends that are like minded and reciprocally inclined...A good friend/hunting partner make you better for the meeting...these are rare...they are truly happy to see you succeed and you likewise to them...

A guy tries to chose carefully on account of some people take more Life out of you than you have left to spare...a good team adds Life to each other...different strengths that cross over to mutual, equal, and positive benefit of those involved...

As Steven J Daniels submits..."A good friend will help you move, but a true friend will help you move a body!"

I agree 100% with you. I am a solo hunter mainly due to I never hunt on weekends for family reasons and hunt during the work week. But, for me it is a hobby and the fun of finding things regardless of who finds it. Would I be envious of a partner who find a gold coin? Sure, but I realize it could have just as easily been me. Look at the video of Calabash Digger finding the John Adams cuff link. his hunting partner could have just as easily found it because they were hunting the same areas. that is the nature of this hobby and seeing your partner do good is fun as is the good nature teasing in the field and on these forums.

Claim Jumpers

In the old gold days they were called "claim jumpers" and dealt with accordingly. I Invited an acquaintance to one of my spots once and we found a few goodies. Told him to go WITH me again sometime. Next morning he's back at my spot with his boy and pulled a really nice breast plate.

I'm a little slow but have a real good memory...lesson learned, never did that again.

Keyword here is "aquaintance". Now I only invite "FRIENDS".:yes:

Back
Top Bottom