Nokta Impact small coil

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I bought the pro package about a year ago and have not used the small coil that much. I have used it a few times and my main complaint was the amount of ground I could cover versus the stock larger coil. That is really why I have not used it much. I decided to put it on this evening after hunting a spot with the larger coil this morning. I was in total shock on how many more nonferrous targets the detector was hitting on. I really did not find any more coins than usual due to the increased amount of targets I had to check. Plus not being used to it I was a little slower in making a decision to dig or not. I think in the long run I will definitely find more coins in my trash laden sites with the small coil. I think I have definitely been making a mistake not using it more. I'm going to use it exclusively for a while to see if my silver finds increase.

I bought the pro package about a year ago and have not used the small coil that much. I have used it a few times and my main complaint was the amount of ground I could cover versus the stock larger coil. That is really why I have not used it much. I decided to put it on this evening after hunting a spot with the larger coil this morning. I was in total shock on how many more nonferrous targets the detector was hitting on. I really did not find any more coins than usual due to the increased amount of targets I had to check. Plus not being used to it I was a little slower in making a decision to dig or not. I think in the long run I will definitely find more coins in my trash laden sites with the small coil. I think I have definitely been making a mistake not using it more. I'm going to use it exclusively for a while to see if my silver finds increase.

That coil is a killer in polluted sites. I usually run 20khz and toggle to 5 kHz and checkmthe higher reading signals, if after toggle the id stays up around 54 plus I dig. Naturally I am running with VDI normalization turned off.

That coil is a killer in polluted sites. I usually run 20khz and toggle to 5 kHz and checkmthe higher reading signals, if after toggle the id stays up around 54 plus I dig. Naturally I am running with VDI normalization turned off.

Exactly!!!! It's a real killer in iron polluted colonial sites where a large coil only sees the iron. It's also able to get into places that you could never get a larger coil into like bushes and dense brush/grass. I've made some of my best finds with it. It does slow down the hunting a bit because of it's size but it makes up with finds.

This morning with small coil running DI3 tone I got a Merc that was heavily mask by nails. It was only 4" deep but the VDI was really jumping from low 60's to to upper 70's. I was really surprised when a silver dime popped up. Next was a silver Rosie which was at least 5" and and under a tree root. It had a little better VDI number more inline with a dime but fairly jumpy. This is a super trash and nail laden lot. The fellow who told me about the lot and this area in general has pulled 13 silvers total off that lot. He uses an etrac and told me he was impressed considering how many times he had been over it.

I only dug two other coins besides the silver. One was a clad dime, and the other a Memorial cent. I only dug maybe double that 8 holes that was junk. I was there maybe two hours. I wasn't super motivated to dig today so I was a little selective on what beeps I dug. The small coil to me is great for trash but you don't cover much ground if you are doing it right. It's going to take some getting used to for sure.

Attachments

• M&R.jpg
    M&R.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 138
  • root.jpg
    root.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 132
The others are right.

The oval 7.5 x 4 coil is my favorite around old home sites. I rarely take it off anymore. It's ability to separate targets is exceptional.

If you have a test garden, check the coil for depth.
I think you'll be surprised by how deep it sees for its size.

The Impact wearing the small coil nabbed another Merc today from that same lot just a few yards from where I dug the Rosie from under a root. This Merc was between two roots, but it was not like it was hard to get a coil over. Five to six inches deep the ID numbers were a little jumpy but when I saw 81 pop up I knew there was a good chance for a dime.

So I have been told the lot has been hammered by other people detecting. If that is so they are missing a lot. I am liking the small coil, but I do feel it's more work than the big coil. The thing is if the small coil is unmasking then the ID numbers are not going to be solid. That's why I feel it's more work to decide on what to dig and what not to. I guess I am digging more iffy signals with the small coil because most of the time a am not getting a for sure 100% this is a coin with the ID numbers. Some of this stuff is a tone all the way around but with more fluctuating numbers. I run the DI3 program in 14khz. I would have to get in to settings to see what everything is sitting at. It's dirtfishing's trashy park settings. I run the gain from 70 up to 95 depending on how I think it's running. Most of the time gain is 85.

TNsharpshooter I will get around to trying your method at some point.

Attachments

• keys.jpg
    keys.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 92
The Impact wearing the small coil nabbed another Merc today from that same lot just a few yards from where I dug the Rosie from under a root. This Merc was between two roots, but it was not like it was hard to get a coil over. Five to six inches deep the ID numbers were a little jumpy but when I saw 81 pop up I knew there was a good chance for a dime.

So I have been told the lot has been hammered by other people detecting. If that is so they are missing a lot. I am liking the small coil, but I do feel it's more work than the big coil. The thing is if the small coil is unmasking then the ID numbers are not going to be solid. That's why I feel it's more work to decide on what to dig and what not to. I guess I am digging more iffy signals with the small coil because most of the time a am not getting a for sure 100% this is a coin with the ID numbers. Some of this stuff is a tone all the way around but with more fluctuating numbers. I run the DI3 program in 14khz. I would have to get in to settings to see what everything is sitting at. It's dirtfishing's trashy park settings. I run the gain from 70 up to 95 depending on how I think it's running. Most of the time gain is 85.

TNsharpshooter I will get around to trying your method at some point.

Looks like you are doing well.
That coil is real sneaky.

Back
Top Bottom