Safari And explorer 2

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
Had a chance to take them both out today,and found out a few things.First,the safari will pick out good targets while in a full null,the explorer 2 will not.These are just what I experienced today,yours might be different.
But I found some 8 plus inch wheats while in a full null with the Safari,in coin mode.Lots of junk and iron and the stock coil just rang from dead silence to a nice high tone,...Ran the explorer 2 in coin mode and nothing,just the null.Opened the screen and hit them loud and clear...Dug up 2 deepies today like that.
The safari in my opinion could just be Minelabs best machine,but it has no backlight and is a sound machine more than a numbers machine.It will read in the high 38,39 on silver but on other coins it's less consistent with a number value,but the audio is spot on.
The explorer 2 is very good at identifying coins with correct Id at depth,and the audio is just as good .
If the safari only had a backlight I'd probably keep it over the e2.. I also find the safari to be a tad faster ,than the e2.. not much but definitely noticeable.Both good machines,but tailored different with the same goal in mind,finding coins.
Also the safari can be switched from conductive tones to ferrous tones with the touch of a button,not so on the explorer 2, you hafto go into a endless menu.I check in both conductive and ferrous tones a lot,before I dig.its very time consuming with the explorer.
All in all both good machines ,each with a edge but I think the Safari is ahead of the e2, just being able to spot coins at depth while in a complete null is unheard of on explorer 2, I saw that first hand today.My take on the two,if you run a explorer run a very light to no disc if you don't want to miss good targets.Safari,run whatever disc you want,it won't miss them.

Interesting. I used them both on salt water beaches. When I slapped on the 15" and 21" coils, the Exp-II was more stable and handled multiple targets under the coil footprint better. Both machines were run without discrimination.

Just another viewpoint, both are great multi-purpose machines......I'd take either over an ATP any day of the week. =)

I tested my safari against the etrac, se pro, and the ctx and i found stuff they all would not find. Just recently dug a quarter at around 9 to 10 inches that gave a solid 31 id , but had that etrac silver tone and said i have to dig it. While turning over my first seven inch plug (deep as my shovel will go first time in ground) there was a 3 inch fat nail in the side of the plug. I thought !!!! it had an iron false and almost covered the hole back up but decided to swing the coil over the hole and got the same sweet tone but this time an ID of 39, got excited and another inch or so down found the 44 quarter.

I have since sold the etrac, se pro, ctx. I think it is the most under rated machine out there right now. Not only that, it is a solid 2 inches deeper than the other 3 in my test bed as well.

Nice to see someone else surprised with it. It is way more stable as well at near max sens than the other 3, maybe why i can achieve more depth with it. I was also running in standard coin mode no disc modifications to it.

I tested my safari against the etrac, se pro, and the ctx and i found stuff they all would not find. Just recently dug a quarter at around 9 to 10 inches that gave a solid 31 id , but had that etrac silver tone and said i have to dig it. While turning over my first seven inch plug (deep as my shovel will go first time in ground) there was a 3 inch fat nail in the side of the plug. I thought !!!! it had an iron false and almost covered the hole back up but decided to swing the coil over the hole and got the same sweet tone but this time an ID of 39, got excited and another inch or so down found the 44 quarter.

I have since sold the etrac, se pro, ctx. I think it is the most under rated machine out there right now. Not only that, it is a solid 2 inches deeper than the other 3 in my test bed as well.

Nice to see someone else surprised with it. It is way more stable as well at near max sens than the other 3, maybe why i can achieve more depth with it. I was also running in standard coin mode no disc modifications to it.

X2. I totally agree

I'm a newbie for the last 10 months, but have over 500 hours on my Safari.

This is my first metal detector so I can't compare to any others. But from what I've experienced so far, I think I got lucky when I selected this brand. I've also been sitting on the fence in my decision to upgrade to the Etrac, researching it, youtubing it and now reading Sabisch's Etrac book.

At this juncture, my quality finds have gone way up as I become one with my Safari. I may not upgrade to the Etrac anymore, but the jury is still out on this one.

With time (and aggressive hunting) my ears are now in sync with the tones. I hunt trashy parks in Los Angeles so my TID display won't give a consistent read because it's processing too many targets at one time... so I pretty much dig on tones, or I'll lose time waiting for the processor to spit out a number.

The one thing that I appreciate about this machine is that there is no doubt when your coil is over a Zinc penny. The tone is one of a kind. Ever since I've ignored this tone, my wheatie and silver finds have gone out the roof in comparison to what they were when I was digging Zinc signals.

Zinc's will burn you out and they are non-productive to dig. I only dig copper on up in the high tones and certain tones below Zinc.

I use the SEF 8x6 coil and I wouldn't hunt without it. I can feel it getting in between the targets and I can separate em out. I like how the Safari is able to do this. I rarely use the pinpoint on the machine because the small coil pretty much centers my target.

The Safari also picks up super small hair thin wire/metals. The tones are loud & clear and when you dig you really have to look closely for it and sometimes I can't find it. It's just way too sensitive a machine.

My settings: conduct mode cross saved to relic; manual sens 16; high trash; disc iron only.

I've tested auto sens with various disc patterns and I find that the Safari is not working to it's full potential this way...at least not for me.

Crank up the sens and go light on the disc and this thing just sucks up whatever is under it.

I've tested several etracs (mine and friends). The earlier Explorers have a slight depth advantage of an inch or two.

Back
Top Bottom