The ultimate barn find

The raven

I'm a fan of urban exploration. In Maine we have many old farmhouses that are rarely visited even once per year. During one of my walks I came across a 1790s cape and in looking in the windows I saw an old jeep in the barn.
I also noticed that the roof was leaking and the place was in tough shape. I wrote a letter to the landowner and although I never heard back the roof was fixed and the house stabilized shortly thereafter.
Fast forward a decade. One day in the mail was received an offer from the owners son saying his father was not well and they wanted to offload the house and the land. We purchased it, and along with the deal...came the jeep.....an origional 1945 untouched WW2 jeep with matching trailer that was purchased by the owner out of a crate. For me...it was the cache of a lifetime.
IMG_3916.JPG

That's awesome....a friend of mine had one...it got caught up in a fire when the garage burned down......anyway.....congrats on that one..

Nice barn find. I am always looking for old cars in garages and barns. Its surprising that after all those years they contacted you. Usually it just goes to whoever was there at the right time. Please post when you get it running. Maybe a video.

Look at the barn. I would be searching any loose floor boards and start detecting and pinpointing walls and ceiling. That place looks cool and score
On the jeep. Nice

Although it only had 16k miles, the 35 years of sitting had done a number on the engine. Turns out the valves were stuck solid so I've had to pull the engine to get it rebuilt. It'll cost me in the long run.....but still under what it was worth. The entire kit and caboodle, house, jeep and about 100 ac was just under 100k.

Those motors are so simple to work on and the jeeps themselves were very basic. Wait until you drive it and the reactions and compliments you get. That trailer is a real gem also. Don't turn it into a trailer queen either that's always a waste.

nice find and buy

have you detected the property and if so did ya find anything good? looks like a great place to hunt. like badbaja said i would be all over the barn, house and the property arround them both......HH.....cliff.

Been on the property a little bit but have not found anything yet.....well maybe some shell casings, bullets, and ome new change in front of the place. I do need to spend some serious time up there.
The barn had to come down and there is debris everywhere, so it will be a while. The land is criss crossed by stone walls....but again nothing found...not even a hint of a signal. Not even sure where to start.

My father got to reassemble a car that was stored in a barn, it was an MGB GT V8, was in great shape before the crash and he located an older MGB and got the parts to fit the V8...i know they are rare cars.

Where i lived in england there was a car restorers on an old church in staindrop country durham and they secretly restored a vehicle (it was a bugatti royale and sold shortly after completion for 14 million pounds and this was back in the 90's)

We had found plenty of landrovers in farmers barns in england and restored them back to the road, as they are gream mechanio sets for the restorer

Where are you in Maine? I'm over in Pemaquid, there's so much history around wish I could get permission for all the old houses around but can't :mad:

Where are you in Maine? I'm over in Pemaquid, there's so much history around wish I could get permission for all the old houses around but can't :mad:

Up in the Liberty area. Permission is not really needed up here, much of the land is Logging co land and they have an open access policy. Lots of cellar holes around up here.
I always wonder about the permission ethos. You go down a old road with no houses and walk into the woods 1000' to detect. You have no idea who owns it, but there are no posted signs so you are allowed to be there by law. Now you go and do some detecting and leave no trace. In fact I have seen bears leave bigger holes rooting for grubs up here, so even if I left gaping holes no one would be the wiser.....but I don't.
I know this idea of no permission leaves a pit in many detectorists stomachs, but in reality, land is open up here for everyone.....including hunters who kill the resident wildlife with high powered loud rifles, and destructive ATVs.

Just my early morning thoughts.....

Back
Top Bottom