Another walk in the woods.

BetterThanFishin

After searching a trail (not the Green-way Trails, they are off limits) in Wappingers, drove to Fishkill to detect a private property in the woods. After finding iron- iron- more iron with the HB9 function I got bored shut it off then started searching through junk tossed about. It's probably been there since the '60's.

Items in PICs:

1 & 2- Glass power line whatever-doohickey-thingamajigs.
3- 1977 Avon milk glass fishing lure cologne bottle 8" long. Musky scent.
4 & 5- Cast aluminum RAB Electric of NYC spotlight fixture. $1.28 for scrap :D
6 & 7- Brass door knobs, not sure yet have to go look again.
8- Heavy solid copper, weighs around 5lbs. Fire dept?
9- Unknown hubcap?
10~12- Rum bottle?
13- Awesome :)
There will be more pics soon. The next post is a reminder about the nasty side of nature.

Attachments

• CLEARGLASSOLD9EASTFORUM1.jpg
    CLEARGLASSOLD9EASTFORUM1.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 799
  • HEMINGRAYGREENGLASSFORUM1.jpg
    HEMINGRAYGREENGLASSFORUM1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 800
  • FISHINGLURECOLOGNEFORUM1.jpg
    FISHINGLURECOLOGNEFORUM1.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 796
  • RABELECTRICFORUM1.jpg
    RABELECTRICFORUM1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 796
  • RABELECTRICFORUM2.jpg
    RABELECTRICFORUM2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 785
  • DOORFORUM2.jpg
    DOORFORUM2.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 780
  • DOORFORUM1.jpg
    DOORFORUM1.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 785
  • FIREMANCOPPERFORUM2.jpg
    FIREMANCOPPERFORUM2.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 780
  • HUBCAPFORUM1.jpg
    HUBCAPFORUM1.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 790
  • PORTUGALGLASSFORUM3.jpg
    PORTUGALGLASSFORUM3.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 764
  • PORTUGALGLASSFORUM2.jpg
    PORTUGALGLASSFORUM2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 787
  • PORTUGALGLASSFORUM1.jpg
    PORTUGALGLASSFORUM1.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 778
  • NYRECTANGLEPLATEOLD9EASTFORUM1.jpg
    NYRECTANGLEPLATEOLD9EASTFORUM1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 763
A nice reminder about the nasty side of nature

Imagine walking up a crest and 4ft in the direction of your path is this in the first pic. It was startled I cried like a girl. J/K. Looks like it was enjoying the sun. I know they're not poisonous but just don't like 'em.

Second pic-
A little more wandering and the snake seemed friendlier than this bunch. Only a few seemed suspicious as the rest of the "crowd" did not have any patterns of a threat being close. Walked past this same area a few nights ago and either they weren't there yet or the air temp was too cold for them to react. Think it was around 40F. Studying bees growing up paid off.

Today out of 28 years of being in/out of the woods was a reality check of "surprise" because I failed to stay aware of my surroundings. Emphasize the last sentence. Getting hurt without a partner or means of communication for help would have caused me to miss that cool NY comm plate. !SAFE!
It was still fun, found cool stuff and can't wait to run into the coyotes at night when I go back.

Luckily the owners are friends of the family so they said "Go ahead, have fun and show us what ya get".

Attachments

• BLACKSNAKEFORUM2.jpg
    BLACKSNAKEFORUM2.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 748
  • BEEHIVEFORUM2.jpg
    BEEHIVEFORUM2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 745
  • BEEHIVEFORUM3.jpg
    BEEHIVEFORUM3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 732
This HB detector is a loss for finding precious metals and of course a novice operator is 80% of an issue for proper control. Might as well put it away and keep finding dump sites until a better Md is purchased.

Finally went back to this site. Here is an interesting sink made from copper. Must have been a wash sink for a an automotive spray shop from seeing old HVLP spray guns and air hoses/fittings in the ground. Now to see if it is worth more in scrap or resale. Probably scrap.

Attachments

• COPPERSINKFORUM1.jpg
    COPPERSINKFORUM1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 479
  • COPPERSINKFORUM2.jpg
    COPPERSINKFORUM2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 483
WoWWW! Now that sink out of copper really could be worth something. That is too cool. If restored it would look amazing. I would check with a business that specializes in restoration hardware and see what they think. Otherwise, copper is bringing in good bucks.

Imagine walking up a crest and 4ft in the direction of your path is this in the first pic. It was startled I cried like a girl. J/K. Looks like it was enjoying the sun. I know they're not poisonous but just don't like 'em.

Last week at the ranch I was busting through brush and had my sidearm, but no rattlers around. That evening doing hambergers on the grill, just on the other side of the 'snake' fence (about 10' from me) was a 4' 9" rattler and it was buzzing and striking at the fence and my cat was on the otherside. My sidearm came in real handy right then!:gunbandanna:

glass insulaters

Hey Guy,,,, Those glass insulaters in your first pictures are keepers. They are highly collectable, especialy for the railroad buffs. Different colors command different prices................

Hey Guy,,,, Those glass insulaters in your first pictures are keepers. They are highly collectable, especialy for the railroad buffs. Different colors command different prices................

WHAT! (over excitement)

Thanks ellobo!
Just been collecting them and never researched what they are or what the value is. There are 20+ more at another sight I have been to. Better get back there soon then.

The one thing 'bout internet communication is missing the simple thank you gesture of a handshake so here ya go.... :thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom