Mother of all Caches!

Diggler

Forum Supporter
I think I have found the motherlode cache! Maybe. Was detecting a rural park and decided to leave the modern picnic area and take a stroll looking for an older grove and just sample along the way. I saw an area that could have had a house on it in the past. It was very overgrown and snakey looking and I had shorts on so I didn't inspect any further. But I did notice a very large old tree stump not too far away so I headed over to swing the coil. By the way, this was my first day out with the new Cortes. I got a strong 95 signal registering DOLLAR at 7 inches. The stump is covered in poison ivy and not a friendly digging environment. The deeper I dug the bigger around the signal became. I must have dug 18 inches down and wide. Turned up discrimination all the way and still solid 95 signal. The depth meter goes up to 9in but maybe I don't have ground balance perfect? I supertuned and got the meter to go to 8in and flash 9in once and a while. I was also jamming my vibraprobe in as far as I could but still could not pinpoint a signal. I was getting frustrated, mostly because I was covered in poison ivy, and decided to fill hole in and come back more prepared. After getting home and doing some research, I am even more excited that there might be a large cache there. The land was once owned by a wealthy family. I don't know what else it could be, registering that way and that deep. Any ideas? I will keep posting with progress even if it is a beer can cache. There is a lot of rain coming they say but it sure would be nice not to have to go to work on Monday!

Diggler...

You're probably trying to dig up a big piece of iron... Last dollar signal I had turned out to be a water pipe down over 3 feet...

Keep dreaming! I will sometimes carry a LOTTO ticket for weeks because it helps my attitude at work to think I don't really have to be there. It is when you check it you get the realality punch in the gut. Might even wait a week or two to check it LOL
cb

Diggler...
You're probably trying to dig up a big piece of iron... Last dollar signal I had turned out to be a water pipe down over 3 feet...

But, then again . . . ?

It may be nothing, or it could be the find of your life.
Dig it up and let us know.

RD :cool:

What happened to the rest of the replies?

Weren't there more replies on here before, like Rusty's pic of a gold nugget, and a pic of a huge hole? Or did I dream all that? I remember because it was one of the best threads recently.

Water pipe or not, find out what's under there. I have a similar situation to reinvestigate when I get home. A tree that is only about 30 years old on the property of a house probably from the 60's, but falling apart. I got a high silver reading on my Explorer all around the base of this tree and no signals branching off of it that would allude to a pipe or something. I tried to dig, but kept getting heavy roots. I'm gonna contact the company that bought this site to put up medical condos to see if I can cut the tree down for "firewood". I gotta see what's under there.

Diggler, I would most definitely go for it, especially if you're getting a good signal in discriminate mode. The site seems like one where you don't have to worry about digging the proverbial hole to China. Yeah, it may very well end up being a very large piece of iron, but what if it isn't? There is only one way to find out, and I know what I would do if it were me in your place. :D

Get to it and find out. I have the exact same delema back home. I hit a tree in the middle of a yard that has a 0 ferrous/31 conductivity solid on my EXP II all the way around the roots of this tree. No other signals leading away from the tree, just around it's roots. The roots are so bad that I need to uproot the whole tree. Good luck. Maybe we'll both get lucky.

Get to it and find out. I have the exact same delema back home. I hit a tree in the middle of a yard that has a 0 ferrous/31 conductivity solid on my EXP II all the way around the roots of this tree. No other signals leading away from the tree, just around it's roots. The roots are so bad that I need to uproot the whole tree. Good luck. Maybe we'll both get lucky.

sounds like a good excuse to buy a new chainsaw and rent a backhoe:tumble: !!!

have you tried to dig some pilot holes to check it out?

I dug down about 9 inches around a root, stuck my probe in the hole and the whole hole was filled with that same beautiful vd.

deeper and deeper

Great story, you gotta go for it! Many years back my hunting buddy always used to say "The motor is still running on that one!" when the hole got over 12" deep.

About 20 years ago my little brother tagged along, I gave him a Whites gold machine of some kind. He puttered off on his own down the beach. About a half hour later he hands me the detector and says that he will be right back.
He comes back with a wheel barrow and a shovel, picks up the detector and goes back to his spot. Sometime later he comes back with an outboard motor in the wheel barrow. Fortunately the motor was no longer running. You just never know until you actually dig it up.

Peltormaximus,

Now that's a great story. I can just imagine the look on your face when he came back with the motor! :lol:

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom