Coin Rings. What coin would you do?

Barracuda

Forum Supporter
People are turning coins into rings. Pretty neat!

So what coin would you do? Depending on size i think it might have to be a half or quarter

Something like this..

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20170326_234231.jpg
    IMG_20170326_234231.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 186
Silver U.S.A. One Dollar

About 2 years ago, after having just gotten started in detecting, I gave it up for awhile. This was after someone busted out my car window and stole some stuff out of the back of my SUV while I was off detecting at a local park. I just this month started doing a little metal detecting again.

In the past two years or so, I watched many many Youtube videos and taught myself to make coin rings. I now concentrate on just silver coins. My daily wear coin ring is a 1921 Morgan silver dollar. I have small hands and it is a very heavy ring, but I made it and I really really like it.

While I've made over a hundred coin rings from silver quarters and half dollars, I've only made 3 silver dollar rings. The picture shows my first two. The bottom one was the first one and you will notice the outside is smooth and the inside of the band has all the details, that's because I screwed it up and lost the detail on the outside. The top one was the second one I made, it is very near perfect. You may notice it has a patina or "antiqued" finish. The patina does wear off and has to be redone every so often. If your going for a daily wear ring, I recommend a highly polished finish as it's easier to maintain. The third silver dollar ring I made is perfect and I'm wearing it.

Attachments

• 20170326_212724.jpg
    20170326_212724.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 178
"YouTube" hint-hint.

Exactly what I did, watched about 50 You tube videos and taught myself through trial and error. Ironically, I had never even seen a coin ring that I remember, but someone on this very forum posted a picture of one he had made and piqued my interest. Thank you all for your kind words on my rings. No, I never have done a gold coin ring. I taught myself on clad coins and now only do silver coins. Gold coins are probably worth more than a ring made out of it would be.

A ring made out of a silver half dollar will make a finished band of roughly 10 grams. They are easy to size to fit average fingers and inexpensive stock. I favor Walking Liberties, but have made Franklins, Barbers and even a Seated Liberty. Quarters make great small finger rings and dollars are for large hands. I once made a size 22 Morgan dollar ring for a foundry worker who also arm wrestled. I wish I never sold it because I have been unable to duplicate it

Back
Top Bottom