• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

U.S. Army M-1943 Entrenching Tool-We won WWII with this?! Really?!

Crackerjack

Elite Member
Earlier this week I went out for a bit of detecting. My shovel that I normally use was locked up in an out-building, and feeling lazy, I chose instead to try out a WWII surplus e-tool that I had in the house. Bad choice. The e-tool is too short, requiring a lot of bending, and for one with a bad back, not a good idea. It doesn't work well kneeling, as there is no T or D handle, so poor leverage, and with hard soil, impractical. I ended up using a hand trowel while down on the ground.

I remember using this e-tool as a boy, digging ditches and tunnels, but that was primarily with it in the folded, "pick" position. I assume that must have been how it was used primarily by the troops, because in the extended position it is a pain.

All photos from the internet, not mine.

serveimage

serveimage

Just remember, the guys that dug ditches with these were 18-21 years old, and had strong backs. I'm in my 50's, and wouldn't even consider using something so short. :no:

I used one of those "army shovels" metal detecting for C.W. relics in the woods for more than 20 years, mostly folded to 90 degrees. Didn't have to bend over as much and it was pretty quick as most of the brass and bullets was less than 6" down. For shells and shell frags it was quicker than anything else that was carry-able for long periods. It was in a US issue shovel sheath on my belt when not in use.

You can also use it for a seat, or cook on it in the field, I have done both. I do agree that it is too short for stooping over to dig with. You might want to look up shovel cooking and try it. joe

Boy does that brink back memories from when I was in the Infantry. :wow:

But the ones we used in the '60s had a pick on the other side.

Yeah they are designed to be used with the blade locked at a 90 degree angle and you swing it like a pick axe (digging your fighting position) Then you can lock the blade straight to move the loose dirt. Not exactly a tool to dig a plug.

Boy does that brink back memories from when I was in the Infantry. :wow:

But the ones we used in the '60s had a pick on the other side.

We had both. I liked the ones without the pick because it was a little lighter. The shovel folded did about as much good as the pick anyway. We still had them in Vietnam. We sharpened the edges to use as weapons. I never saw a tri-fold until I got back. I have one in my trunk in case I ever get stuck. I use my Sampson for detecting.

They are great for when you need to go #2 in the woods. Fold the blade, sit on one side and your gtg....there I said it. Lol

We had both. I liked the ones without the pick because it was a little lighter. The shovel folded did about as much good as the pick anyway. We still had them in Vietnam. We sharpened the edges to use as weapons. I never saw a tri-fold until I got back. I have one in my trunk in case I ever get stuck. I use my Sampson for detecting.

When I was in the Corps, we had a Battalion CO who had the nickname, Lt. Colonel " E Tool " Smith. He earned the title by using it as a weapon in Vietnam.
Not the best tool to use in the city park, but it will do the job.

I use one when I relic hunt but I bought a oak shovel handle and cut the top off at about 28" long and replaced the old handle. Better grip and leverage but not a yard tool for sure.

A lesche shovel is a very good defensive tool :grin: . Although where I hunt I'm more likely to be attack by bugs :lol: ,,,,,HH

Mine has the pick which slips in my back pocket. I can dig with it with one hand and a foot without putting my detector down. Very easy to do with practice.
And yes, I'm over 50.

Back
Top Bottom