I could use a little help

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Hunting an old abandoned farm I found this, could it be a top from a walking stick or a sword? anybody? also this place is pretty old, can anybody help with the date on this. Also found a rather large ballbearing, but its all lumpy, not round at all,and what uses a bearing this size, its got to be an inch in diameter. ANY HELP ?

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 718
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 690
  • 87.jpg
    87.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 705
  • 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 691
  • 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 697
What metal is the Eagle heas...it looks like copper...I have found one similar but with a longer neck....After the Civil war picture frame makers would make picture frames in the shapes of a shield and would place these Eagle Heads on the upper 2 points of the shield...It was a Patriotic tribute to the reuniting of the country

Maybe it was the top of one of those old canes that had a sword hidden inside, but the flag pole top or regular cane top are possibilities also.

Here is a pic I found online, not an exact match obviously, but somewhat similar -

eaglehead.jpg

I just googled 'eagle knife pommel' The pictures sort of look like what you got there...since its got a short neck, I thought it might be a large knife pommel....thats what it might be off of..a large Bowie styled knife..or a sword like Coinshark showed..those pics look about right....

I agree though, I'd try to make myself something out of it like a cane...heck, you might even try to electroplate it with silver scrap you have found? I'm sure theres youtube vids showing how to electroplate that using some trash park silver? Anyway! Very Cool!

That would be a big knife, for sure, probably more like a sword. Still, when you go back and look at that squashed bottom, it's at least 1 1/2" wide, which seems would shape back into a perfect 7/8" to 1" circle, making the perfect cane head. :grin:

That is a civil war era saddle pommel.

Attachments

• images(6).jpg
    images(6).jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 510
What metal is the Eagle heas...it looks like copper...I have found one similar but with a longer neck....After the Civil war picture frame makers would make picture frames in the shapes of a shield and would place these Eagle Heads on the upper 2 points of the shield...It was a Patriotic tribute to the reuniting of the country
After scratching it it is brass and it's very heavy cleaning the inside out with a screwdriver a lot of rusty metal came out of it

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom