Motorcycle questions

If you don't want to go fast or buy a tag try an electric bicycle. Been having fun with these. And the brushed geared motors sound cool compared to the brushless.

Nice bikes , have to have a hefty price tag ! ,,,,,HH

With the occasional riding around town you are planning to do you most likely wont ever have to worry about a chain or belt , just follow the regular preventative maintenance and it should last well into your golden years. If it was going to be your main source of transportation or you took long trips it might be a concern but cruising around town on good weather days you would probably be just as happy with either one ....chain , belt , or shaft.

If i got another bike it would be a dualsport, seems like it would help me get to some more remote spots. However, no matter how I might drive a bike i worry about all the other drivers who drive like !!!! around here. So, no bike for me...

I was just in the US and went through daytona beach a week and a half ago and noticed ALOT of people on three wheeled bikes. I was surprised how many actually, from Harleys to Can Am spyder type bikes. If they are saer or not i have no idea...

With the occasional riding around town you are planning to do you most likely wont ever have to worry about a chain or belt , just follow the regular preventative maintenance and it should last well into your golden years. If it was going to be your main source of transportation or you took long trips it might be a concern but cruising around town on good weather days you would probably be just as happy with either one ....chain , belt , or shaft.

Chain drives and sprockets are easy to replace. I have wore out a lot of them riding dirt bikes. That's why I lost my chain climbing a hill once. The sprocket was getting worn. An easy fix.

I think 3 wheelers give a false sense of security. They won't tip over at a stop light, but don't have the lean angle of a bike in curves. I've seen some crashes because of this. Personally, when I need 3 wheels, I'll just drive my truck. joe

My opinion

We are the same age, now i still have the chopper, however i haven't ran it in over 5 years, i run a full Dresser, yes a big bike, but i love this Harley, the two wide glides i ran were fun to, you can run a wide glide , street glide ect for a few more year's, but you will end up with a dresser down the road, Indian has come back to, check those bikes out, you might want to save some money , and get a nice used bike with low mileage, happy hunting & Riding , live to ride, ride to live bro., Earl

Over 52,000 trouble-free miles and counting. This is NOT a sport bike. The riding position is upright and the tach redlines at around 8k. Been to 30 states on this girl. I get around 72 mpg @ 60 mph. I also loved my 1985 VT700C (shaft drive Honda Shadow).

Attachments

• 944161_418996751532660_1368871129_n.jpg
    944161_418996751532660_1368871129_n.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 104
I've been at it for 45yrs too, and I'd never consider a belt or shaft drive. I don't care for the limitations of either. Just talk to anyone with experience about what it takes (parts and labor) to change gearing on one with a belt or shaft compared to one with a chain. And that's not to mention that the only reason Harley went to a belt was to cut down on vibration.

Did you read the guys post? He's concerned about an occasional chain maintenance. Don't think he'll be worried about changing final drive ratio's.
OP, you obviously aren't into the mechanics of a bike and it's maintenance, that's cool, not all are. Go to a couple (few) dealers. Get an idea of what size bike will work for you. Based on your height, weight and the type riding you intend to do. Being new to riding you need to be very comfortable on your new machine. Seat height, riding position, power and the bikes weight. One model will feel "just right" for you. While you don't need to go from zero to sixty in 3 seconds, you may need a little umph to get out of trouble now and then, so don't go too low a horse power/displacement.
Unless you want to learn maintenance and repair, don't get an older used bike. Pick models/manufacturers you like, ride them, then make your decision on comfort, ride quality and certainly the look you prefer.
Let your dealer maintain it for you, it's not that costly. Ask them (also in your manual) what maintenance you should do, can do, or at least check on regularly. Oil level (a window or dip stick) tire pressure etc. It's not much. The chain thing is a nothing issue, it's a wipe down and a spray, no disassembly required.
Best of luck on your decision, ride safe and enjoy.

Nice bikes , have to have a hefty price tag ! ,,,,,HH

Paid $180 for the black one. $250 for the red one. Converted them to Lithium. They run for miles on a charge without pedal assist. Turn more heards than most motorcycles. You can park one beside motorcycles at car shows and get more looks. That's part of the fun. I prolly will cruise bike week in Daytona next year on the red one:D

I have had a half dozen street bikes. I have had a sportster for 30 years. I never thought I would ride a scooter but found I really like the no clutch no gears part of it. We ride around town or back roads and don't need to go over 40 mph and we can take the dog.

I have had a half dozen street bikes. I have had a sportster for 30 years. I never thought I would ride a scooter but found I really like the no clutch no gears part of it. We ride around town or back roads and don't need to go over 40 mph and we can take the dog.

Scooters are great too. I clocked just over 16,000 miles on my Linhai (Chinese) 150cc scooter before I sold it. My scooter only averaged 55 mpg, whereas my Honda gets over 70 mpg and can handle interstate speeds no problem.

Suzuki C50, nothing smaller, nothing bigger. It will do all you need. The 40 is only 1 cylinder and sluggish. The C50, will be a smoother ride than any Harley and definitely NO crotch rockets...

Back
Top Bottom