Door knocking hasn't worked for me.

Sorry to hear you haven't had much success with the door knocking. I'm also located in Pittsburgh and have had pretty good success with door knocking. I think it kind of depends where in town you're knocking. Certain "uppity" areas around town you'll often get a no and/or attitude. Don't let one bad experience get you down!

Like it's been said in a few different ways here , times are different , things have changed , people are leery . I don't even ask anymore . The last time I did a private property was when I was talking my Dogs for a walk and a Lady was in front of her house . She immediately took a liking to my Dogs and she petted them and we talked "Dogs" for quite awhile .
I noticed her front lawn had been turned over for some gardening work and asked if I could come back later and detect it . She said yes and I did . My best find was a 53' Canadian penny , a little bit of clad and a bit of trash .These are the types of situations where I will ask .

I won't criticize anyone for door knocking because I can see where in some situations it works out well .Myself , I'm the kind of guy who likes privacy in my "Castle" ( I hate the hell out of Telemarketers also ) and I don't want to bother other folks in their "Castles" either .

Yes , I may not find as much as some but when I do I greatly appreciate it .

Two or three years ago, my buddy and I stopped at a civil war-era home here in Michigan, out in the country. It was about 9 a.m.

I walked in the rear enclosed porch, and knocked. Around 30 seconds later, the door creaked open just a hair, and a middle-aged woman in her nightgown peaked around the door. I explained who we were, and asked for permission to detect the yard. The lady hesitated for a moment, half awake, then said “sure, go ahead”. We thanked her then went about our business. There are still some trusting folks out there after all. :cool:

Sounds like a total jerk to me. I wouldn’t worry about it just move on to the next! I’ve had good days and bad days door knocking. Try hitting occupied old houses with crappy yards. The way I see it, they already don’t care about their lawn....

Back
Top Bottom