what make th lesche type special?

stuticius

So I'm new and and have been looking at gear to get my family started and I'm not sure why these types of diggers are different then just a plain old hunting knife they look the same with a bigger hand guard

People use everything from screwdrivers, butter knives, garden trowels, $10 survival knives, etc. Use what works for you.

I like the Treasure Wise diggers. Reasonably priced and bomb proof.

Nothing wrong with a strong hunting knife. Might run into trouble in some places for having a big knife. :shock: Other tools might be a better choice.

The main thing in a digging tool is that it is strong. Digging and prying in the hard ground, cutting roots, and digging out rocks can brake most cheap box store hand shovels.

I use cheap diggers, but if the ground is hard, I bring out a sharp shooter. If that don’t get the target out of the ground, then the target doesn’t need getting out. Before I get jumped on, I hunt in places that it doesn’t matter if someone can tell where I have dug. I always fill in the holes and make it look pretty again, even in plowed farm fields.

A lot of soil types are impossible to dig a nice plug. Then the person should use good judgment whether to even dig in that area, like a park or some ones yard.

I wondered what the difference was when I started also.

The offset blade with the large guard makes it easier to dig using two hands.
The serration helps in cutting roots as well as a clean cut for very clean plug replacement. Probably the biggest plus is its toughness. They aren't indestructible, but darn near. You won't bend one. It will break but only with superhuman strength. Have only read of two breaking on this forum.

Note: they come in right and left serration if you have a preference

I got a $7 Fiskar's sod knife, about 3 years ago, still working fine. To be honest though, Florida soil, is basically sand, like at the beach. There is also no natural stone either. Tree roots, specially oak tree roots, are the worst I deal with. Got a folding pair of pruning shears.

So it is a knife that is ergonomic for digging? Or am I missing something I'm sure experience with one would answer all my questions but since I don't have that I give many thanks all the replies :)

Nothing really special about it. I split and hammered out some stainless steel tubing and made my own digger. Put a bike grip on it. Been digging holes since the '60's without a Lesche. Hate to ruin a good track record. Lesche may slip and cut my thumb off since i'm not used to one. You want a good root cutter, get you a long wood sawzall blade and make a handle for it. That badboy will really cut a plug. Of course if you are in ground hard as concrete even a pick axe doesn't work too good.:D

" A penny saved is a dollar wasted "

Caution .... just remember you get what you pay for ..... cheap is exactly that CHEAP ! When your on the 7th or 8th inexpensive tool that breaks or bends to holly **^ after short use, think about the one quality tool you passed on because it cost more $$ then you want to spend right now. The old saying holds true " You get what you pay for " Good luck !:yes:

diggers

I use a Fiskars Big Grab or Grip it's called?, (it's offset) and under $10, I also carry and use an Ames 3 inch gel handled trowel, also under $10 (both are lifetime Guaranteed). They sell them in most home improvement, stores dept stores, and Hardware stores. Almost any site is a mile or less from where they can be replaced (Lesche has to me shipped to Manufacturer and back)! For less than the cost of a Lesche I bought 2 of each, so I carry spares in my car. If I lose one somehow, I only lost under $10. Actually targets can be recovered with anything from a Popsicle stick to a clam-shell bucket! Whatever works for you in your ground conditions is Fine... GL & HH.....Pat

I use a treasure wise digging tool now. ( made in itally). Cuts sod faster and very rugged too, best small tool I have found. Try it you'll like it. Got it at.Colonial metal detectors

Caution .... just remember you get what you pay for ..... cheap is exactly that CHEAP ! When your on the 7th or 8th inexpensive tool that breaks or bends to holly **^ after short use, think about the one quality tool you passed on because it cost more $$ then you want to spend right now. The old saying holds true " You get what you pay for " Good luck !:yes:

If you use the tool, as designed or intended, they usually last. A sod knife, is for cutting a plug, not for prying things. Carrying just one tool, is so convenient, and you save precious seconds (if you are in some sort of competitions, with yourself), but a broken digger in the field really hurts. Sure, you can abuse them all you want, you've got that warranty. I just don't get in such a big hurry. I want to have fun, enjoy my hunting, relax a little. I work all week, being productive, and get a paycheck for it...

I resisted getting a Lesche for a long while too and went through all sorts of knives, shovels, and trowels. I've had the Lesche now for over a year and wonder why I waited so long. Well worth the money in my opinion. A knife just doesn't have the surface area to be much use digging (ie. lifting dirt out of a hole)...sure it penetrates the ground alright but the Lesche is kind of half knife half shovel. As for the serrations, they don't really slice through roots very well but whatever steel they use is hella strong...I have put mine through hell and it's never snapped. For me well worth the money.

I've only been doing this a little while now. When I started I bought a trowel similar to the Fiskers (cheap knock off) because my Home Center didn't have the Fiskers. I bent it within 2 digs so I decided to try the Lesche. Looked around the web and got it from a sponsor on this forum. Yes you can use anything to dig with but this digger is a very good piece! It is a quality made tool, and in my opinion worth the money. I plan on looking into the Predator line of shovels for a larger shovel for fields and the woods. Again these shovels are expensive but after seeing the quality of the Trowel I would consider forking over the money now.

I would just get the Lesche, you will be glad you did and when you go to cut a plug you'll know why it is the best. The Lesche really allows you to cut a good plug that you can cleanly fold back, other tools just make a mess of it and it can show when you leave.

I have been using my old 3-in-1 knife for over thirty years. I have actually hammered it into rock hard ground. (Try that with your Lesche) I think the current Hori-Hori knife is about the same. I don't think I could break mine if I tried. It doesn't have the oversized guard where you have to dig a larger hole and I have never had my hand slip. I built it up with leather and liquid tape to prevent blisters which are common when beginning.
KF3.gif

You'll appreciate the hand guard when you're digging in slippery mud. I don't know how many times that has saved me. Just grab on the ear for more leverage when sawing sod. It's ideally suited for detecting in my opinion. Everyone uses them for a reason. Good luck with your choice!

I use a Fiskars Big Grab or Grip it's called?, (it's offset) and under $10, I also carry and use an Ames 3 inch gel handled trowel, also under $10 (both are lifetime Guaranteed). They sell them in most home improvement, stores dept stores, and Hardware stores. Almost any site is a mile or less from where they can be replaced (Lesche has to me shipped to Manufacturer and back)! For less than the cost of a Lesche I bought 2 of each, so I carry spares in my car. If I lose one somehow, I only lost under $10. Actually targets can be recovered with anything from a Popsicle stick to a clam-shell bucket! Whatever works for you in your ground conditions is Fine... GL & HH.....Pat

Yeah I found out about losing that type stuff the other day. Had a gasket scraper I use to make small holes drop somewhere. Had a red handle same color as the Lesche. But a little bigger. Only problem was a lot of the leaves that fell off the trees were red. Looked around about 10 minutes and could never find that $1 flea market gasket scraper. A Lesche i'd have had to camp out to see if I could find it.

Back
Top Bottom