Vanquish and Simplex

I would say thats ALOT of machine for $330! :wow: I mean this is a serious question, how could they put all those feautures into a machine and put a price tag so low on it? You would think they would make very little profit, if any :?: excited to see some more reports on both machines.

What a diff in depth going from park to field mode on Simplex. Id probably stay in field and go slow if hunting old coins. ? Id have ti play with that.

I would say thats ALOT of machine for $330! :wow: I mean this is a serious question, how could they put all those feautures into a machine and put a price tag so low on it? You would think they would make very little profit, if any :?: excited to see some more reports on both machines.

They can be using processors from their higher range machines and a lot of the same software but maybe not all the software on higher range machines. All of their R&D has already been expensed on the higher machines. So yes they can make a profit on the lower machine.

My vanquish 540 is in the mail. Love the nox and wanted a sweet 8" coil so traded for the baby brother.

The vanquish does look impressive in the video in comparison..Buying new tho I'm not sure I'd spend double the money over the simplex just to make sure I got every nickel or dime the simplex might miss..I guess it all comes down to the individual, and what they're willing to spend.

The vanquish does look impressive in the video in comparison..Buying new tho I'm not sure I'd spend double the money over the simplex just to make sure I got every nickel or dime the simplex might miss..I guess it all comes down to the individual, and what they're willing to spend.

I agree.
Spend a little more and get an Equinox 600 if you want the flutey tones and multi iq, but then you'd have to spend a little more AGAIN to replace the junk shaft.

Why would Minelab put a crappy shaft and hardware on the Equinox, but an OK shaft and hardware on the cheaper Vanquish?

Yes it comes down to what type targets and ground conditions you have. Maybe a modern coin park hunter wouldn't need a top end detector the same way a serious CW relic hunter may.
I dug this 11th century coin this morning, it reads a solid 8 on the Nox which is 3 or 4 below a US Nickel, it was a hard enough target for the Nox in the iron, would i have dug it with a 12khz machine? I guess someone in the US in an area hunting cut half and quarter Real in iron or gold jewellery etc would want something more from their machines.
Here's a pic of a guy from Maryland's finds for 2019, just incase folk think there's no small silver to be found state side :cool3::cool3:

Attachments

• 20200103_160051-600x800.jpg
    20200103_160051-600x800.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 815
  • FB_IMG_1578071818016-600x815.jpg
    FB_IMG_1578071818016-600x815.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
JimR_TN said:
I happen to see this video today of a CW relic hunter testing the Simplex in bad ground. He's very pleased with its performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlebC0DRu8Y
Jim, I've watched this video and thought it was quite good, and I am seeing similar performance from the Simplex+ in some of the places I've hunted. Due to wintry weather my explorations into sites similar to where he was searching are limited. I'm looking ahead for spring to arrive.

I wish he would have had the mic. pick up more of the audio as I know he wasn't hitting the amounts of iron that I typically deal with, and those bullets are bigger-sized than the coins, trade tokens, metal buttons and such I am out there after. I've worked area where I've found some of those big 2 and 3 ringers from that CW era and used after that for a spell, and they are nice targets to find.

I will agree with his comments all through his video that the Simplex + can produce very good audio response on many similar targets we search for. Matter-of-fact, I enjoy using my Simplex+ so much because it is a 'fun' unit to use, but also because the performance is there, too.

I am anxious for Nokta / Makro to release smaller coils for it because I only use a big 11" DD in more open and less trashy sites. However, even with that coil, it is doing quite well for me. With all th detectors I have at-the-ready, I have been grabbing the Simplex + most often just because it is working so well. Now, we need those smaller coils!

ghound said:
Looks like the Simplex could do with another update!

https://youtu.be/IvvkgGPov8o
I have to disagree. The Simplex+ had some updates just before release and nothing much since the release, although I do have three wishes I would like to see addressed. Other than the Time-Out needs a couple extra seconds, the other two are more adjustment functions I would like to see, even though others might not. Not sure.

As for that video, I've watched it several times. I noted that he mentioned the nails were about a finger-width away from the nail, and he has them placed on a board on the ground. Okay, that's fine, so I duplicated what he did. Then I used each make and model detector I have here in my den with the search coil mounted that I use most often.

I also noted that he only swept the coils across this 'Test Scenario' left-to-right and then right-to-left going 'crosswise' with the set-up, so it was Nail-Nickel-nail, but I didn't see him sweep the coil 'lengthwise' or the so-called "down-the-barrel" direction with the Nickel with the coil's center-axis. I did, and I knew what to expect from all my detector/coil devices and was only barely off a little from being 100% correct.

Below you'll see a photo of my 2-Nail & Nickel 'Test Board' and I used square nails from an old gold mining ghost town I like to search. I finally found a couple of round nails after perhaps 50+ square nails, and I used a Buffalo Nickel just to keep the samples older. Maybe that's why the Simplex+ worked so well for me? That, or the fact that I am not a Minelab fan or buy in to a lot of the "Simultaneous Multi-Frequency" stuff folks like to claim is the magic reason their detector works. I know in this video he commented that it was the 'Multi IQ' that got credit for the performance or why he didn't do well with the Simplex +.

My 'Nickel & Nail Test Board' wasn't outside, but inside on my den floor where I have a lot of EMI, and under the board and carpet I have nails, typically found in such an environment ... and all but one detector I usually use worked quite well.

So, take a look at these results I got early today.

I pre-test guessed what my performance might be from each detector model with the coils I keep attached, and I was almost 100% correct in the results I got. And I'll trust my testing over what I saw in the video. Here are the results I got by category:

No Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel:

• Fisher F44 w/7" Concentric coil ... (I didn't expect it to. A very good urban Coin Hunting unit, but terrible in iron.)

A Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel swept Crosswise as in the Video:

• Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD coil ... (All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject nails then at Ferrous Reject.)
• Nokta / Makro Simplex + w/11" DD coil ... (All three modes w/Zero Disc., Reject 1-Bar (nails), and Reject 3-Bars -ferrous range-.)
XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil
XP ORX w/9" X35 DD coil

A Positive Response to the Buffalo Nickel swept BOTH Crosswise as well as Lengthwise:

• Nokta FORS Relic w/5" DD coil ... (All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject Nails then at Ferrous Reject.)
• Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric coil ... (All 2 & 3 Tone modes to Accept Nails. then to Reject Nails then at Ferrous Reject.)
• Tesoro Bandido II microMAX w/6" Concentric coil
• Tesoro Silver Sabre microMAX w/6" Concentric coil
• White's IDX Pro w/6½" Concentric coil ... (Unit Modified by Keith Southern)

Note that I never changed the position of the square nails or Nickel so all comparisons were done one right after the other. Also note that the Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' coil almost gave me good repeatable hits lengthwise, but the slightly ticky response just wasn't solid enough to match the Relic and other models that did well both directions.

Also note that the particular model in question in the video and here, the new Nokta / Makro Simplex+, was using the largest search coil, the standard 11" DD. It will be interesting to re-test this when Nokta / Makro release smaller-size optional coils for this device. But the audio response I did get from it, in Field, Park and Beach modes, was absolutely a beautiful response.

Monte

Just to be fair, i know your not a fan of ML, so here's the same guy with the AT Pro vs Simplex on the same nail-nickel-nail, the AT Pro smacks it and the Simplex fails. Go to the 11.30 mark, it's the same scenario for both machines and the video clearly shows the Simplex has difficulties in finding the nickel on a slow sweep.

I know from a few forums in the UK that users are realising that there not finding the small low conductors in iron that they know are there, maybe it's the lack of iron tone break adjustment or the lower freqs used or maybe the algorithms, i don't know.

It is what it is, a very good low cost, entry level, waterproof detector, that will find the easy targets and please many users.
On a separate note, i found my first medieval (1199-1216) silver of 2020 amongst the 1000yr old iron with my crappy multi freq Nox, it read an '8' on the ID :mder:
And I'm heading back out detecting today with my daughter, Happy hunting folks!

Below you'll see a photo of my 2-Nail & Nickel 'Test Board' and I used square nails from an old gold mining ghost town I like to search. I finally found a couple of round nails after perhaps 50+ square nails, and I used a Buffalo Nickel just to keep the samples older. Maybe that's why the Simplex+ worked so well for me? That, or the fact that I am not a Minelab fan or buy in to a lot of the "Simultaneous Multi-Frequency" stuff folks like to claim is the magic reason their detector works. I know in this video he commented that it was the 'Multi IQ' that got credit for the performance or why he didn't do well with the Simplex +
Monte

Attachments

• 20200103_160051-600x800.jpg
    20200103_160051-600x800.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 745
Last edited:
ghound:
Just to be fair, i know your not a fan of ML, ....

Well, 'just to be fair' you are actually incorrect.

Minelab is just another detector manufacturer and, like most of the better ones, they have offered models that I enjoyed and used quite a bit. I used to have a terrific Sovereign XS 2a Pro, and I've also owned 6 or 7 FBS models, mostly the Explorer II and an SE Pro. Like any other make or model, if they work well, are comfortable, and are a unit that is 'Simple' and 'Functional' and also provides 'Performance', then it gets my consideration.

Age and falling apart have been my biggest annoyance, and all those Minelab's I used to enjoy were just too heavy and awkwardly balance me me so I let them go.

The Equinox 800 kind of interests me, and even the Vanquish 540 gets my attention. Maybe even a little more, but I have a good working detector Outfit so I am slow to add a new model. I di so last June, and that was an XP ORX w/5X9½ DD HF coil. It's worked ut quite well for me and filled a niche in my detector battery, but who knows what I might pick up this year?

It isn't the MInelab brand or specific Minelab models that I am not a fan of .... it's a lot of the Minelab loyalists. The ones who make a statement that they can't back up, they boast about something like Multi-IQ being the reason a particular model handles a test better, but most of the time Multi-IQ has nothing to do with it. It's just other circuitry performance behavior. People who buy a particular brand and then seem to not say anything good about any make or model that isn't what hey own .... even if it might be better than they think.

ghound:
... so here's the same guy with the AT Pro vs Simplex on the same nail-nickel-nail, the AT Pro smacks it and the Simplex fails. Go to the 11.30 mark, it's the same scenario for both machines and the video clearly shows the Simplex has difficulties in finding the nickel on a slow sweep.

There's not a perfect detector made and all can have a weakness, regardless of the brand. Sometimes it might be a search coil change that would improve performance, or just a settings change.

What I do know is that with the testing I've done so far, and with the limited amount of times I've been able to get the Simplex+ out hunting, I have been very impressed with the performance. That's what really counts, and it's doing fine considering it has a big 11" DD coil attached.

ghound:
I know from a few forums in the UK that users are realising that there not finding the small low conductors in iron that they know are there, maybe it's the lack of iron tone break adjustment or the lower freqs used or maybe the algorithms, i don't know.

That's to be expected, even in different locations, especially if a new model user isn't seeing the results they were accustomed to from a different make or model detector.

There's a good reason why I am using a few different make and model detectors. i9t's because each has proven to me that they can do certain things well, and with my assortment of devices, I can pick-and-choose the better performing detector and coil combinations for the task at hand. I never expect one detector to do everything to perfection. Just isn't going to happen.

The main places I hunt are covered in snow and it's very cold, but once we gain access by late March, I plan to work the Simplex+ as soon as I can .... once smaller coils are available to better work in the dense trash. For now, hunting parks and private yards, etc., I have been finding smaller-size coins in some amount of debris, and some at very decent depths.

ghound:
It is what it is, a very good low cost, entry level, waterproof detector, that will find the easy targets and please many users.

Yes, it is a lower-cost model, it is waterproof, and it also has some nice adjustment features and three versatile search modes.

And I happen to be one of the many who IS pleased with what this detector is quite capable of providing in performance afield. It's quite a value, in my opinion.
ghound:
On a separate note, i found my first medieval (1199-1216) silver of 2020 amongst the 1000yr old iron with my crappy multi freq Nox, it read an '8' on the ID :mder:
And I'm heading back out detecting today with my daughter, Happy hunting folks!

Congratulations on your 2020 1st! Now, YOU'RE the one who called it a "crappy" detector, not me. matter of fact I wouldn't because I know the Equinox 800, and 600 if that's choses, can be a very good performer for a lot of environments and uses. Some of my friends speak highly of it for some of their types of hunting as well.

Good numerical VDI to recover! I am not one who just goes after high-conductive and high VDI reading targets. I dig a lot of keepers that others ignore, especially many that have a lower numeric read-out.

I'll be quite honest with you, and that is I wish I was nearby to join you on a hunt. I've never been to the UK and would enjoy putting in some hunt-time over there. You have a lot of history to seek and find, and that would be a blast!

If I flew, and I don't, I've often wondered what three detectors I would want to take with me on a UK detecting trip. From my current outfit I know what they would be but most folks wouldn't guess them on a first try. One thing for sure, there wouldn't been any close-by detector-caused EMI if one of us wandered close to the other.;)

It's about 8:30 AM here in the USA on Saturday morning, so I hope to hear how your detecting jaunt went. For both you and your daughter. I hope you both had an enjoyable day.

Monte

PS: I almost bought the EQ-600 just to get the 6" coil, then I'd sell the 600 and buy an 800. The urge caught up with me, but my $$$$ was a bit thin after taking care of some Christmas shopping. Maybe I can find a Dealer with some 600's sitting around and work a deal to get that 6" coil yet, then add an Equinox 800 to my outfit before favorable spring weather arrives.

I haven't had the opportunity to buy a vanquish but I'd like to.Maybr later in the year I'll get a 440, seems the best coil option on it and price.
I have had the opportunity to run the simplex.Actuallu sold it to make room for somthing else, but at $250 it's easily replaceable...Last several days I've been looking at all machines hard, new and old and all brands and models..Just my opinion but I don't think there's a machine out there that brings to the table what the simplex does, and at that price.

If your a relic hunter and detect in the woods and fields where the targets are spread out and deep you will love the Simplex.

It goes deeper than the Vanquish and the Equinox on audio signals by far - if you can't hear it, you can't dig it.

https://youtu.be/vpDcw9QsGvQ?t=948

Back
Top Bottom