Made a new sifter

Steve

Forum Supporter
Was forced to abandon my last 1 at the airport.
This 1 is a little smaller. Also opted for bigger holes and a plastic screen inside for faster sifting. Some people might use zip ties. I always manage to break 1 standing in the ocean... so went with shoe laces instead. Readily available, no sharp edges, can adjust if needed.
Total weight about 1lb. No metal so I can scan under it to see if the target is in the sifter. Rate this 1 about an 7/10. Missing the pool noodle elbows for the corners.:(

Original idea from Clive Clynick (great book) I just modified it for my locations.
All I need now is to find my old tow rope.

Attachments

• 20170507_214705_resized.jpg
    20170507_214705_resized.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 284
  • 20170507_214653_resized.jpg
    20170507_214653_resized.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 285
  • 20170507_214713_resized.jpg
    20170507_214713_resized.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 285
That is nice what did you use for the basket you could probly cut the noodle at 90 degree and crazy glue it to gether

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

That is nice what did you use for the basket you could probly cut the noodle at 90 degree and crazy glue it to gether

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Ordered a special size bread tray. The corners I need to get the pool noodle elbows. At least aesthetically. Glue wouldn't work due to exposure and strain

Looks good! I made one years back that I took out and played with once. Never took out again as it wasn't for me. I have always been for one that "less is more". Although there have been times that I wish I was wearing a weight belt. :roll:

Looks good! I made one years back that I took out and played with once. Never took out again as it wasn't for me. I have always been for one that "less is more". Although there have been times that I wish I was wearing a weight belt. :roll:

Fairly calm waters with swinging the df. I just scoop and dump. Nothing better than seeing a fat honker sitting in there 20 minutes later.

I got to ask.....what the heck is it :?: and what is it's purpose :?:

You dump your scoop full onto it. No need to sift the scoop. Can dump up to 5 scoop fulls on it. When wading you can leave your scoop on top. Certain conditions target recovery rate goes from minutes to seconds.
I play the numbers. The more targets I recover and the faster I do it = higher chance of gold. I can dump my scoop full on this and be on the next target while the sifter sorts through everything for me

Good work on the sifter.

A while back I was wanting to make one , then I realized I already had a gold prospecting classifier I made from the top 6 or 8 inches of a 5 gallon bucket with half inch hardware cloth at the bottom ( easy to make ). I put some pool noodle around the top edge and secured with zip ties and it worked great. I thought it might be a little small but as it turned out it really wasn't , but the relatively small diameter ( compared to some sifters ) made it really easy to transport and pull along with me on a rope.

You dump your scoop full onto it. No need to sift the scoop. Can dump up to 5 scoop fulls on it. When wading you can leave your scoop on top. Certain conditions target recovery rate goes from minutes to seconds.
I play the numbers. The more targets I recover and the faster I do it = higher chance of gold. I can dump my scoop full on this and be on the next target while the sifter sorts through everything for me

Ahhha....it's floating in the waves, and sifting out the sand/dirt, while you are moving on. I catch on fast, eh ? :yes:

mmmm

Steve you must be sifting Florida sugar sand, not much drainage required :lol:, definitely lighter than mine bro., and- less expensive happy hunting , Earl

Attachments

• P1000135.JPG
    P1000135.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 120
Steve you must be sifting Florida sugar sand, not much drainage required :lol:, definitely lighter than mine bro., and- less expensive happy hunting , Earl

Some of my spots are clay and/or small shells. I don't sift through it. I just drag it along and eventually check out what's in the box. Total weight about 1lb. Total cost about $5.
Haven't tried this 1 yet but should hold 5 scoop fulls easily. If it starts to lean I will just give it a quick shake.

Don't Hold your breath

On that one bro., priority is property issues , hunting maybe towards the end of the season, take care , Earl

Back
Top Bottom