New and was wondering about snow

mgsr

Hello everyone got a stupid question this is my first winter and was wondering if you can md in light snow and if that will effect anything

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hunting in cold weather affects the feeling I get in my toes and fingers, (even with hot packs), and also affects my enjoyment in the hobby.

That being said, last winter I went out a few times and hovered over 10" snow levels using the all metal threshold on my Vaq hoping to pick up some sort of signal and then dug down through the snow when I did just to dig something because cabin fever was really starting to get to me.

Not really worth it, no hoped for gold or silver jewelry but I did find some coins and that helped a bit.
Not much but a little.

i'm not sure which is worse, snow or frost. snow can insulate the ground and keep it from freezing too hard, but if the snow is too deep, you won't get very much depth in the actual ground.
woods hunting can still be an option. the snow usually isn't quite as deep and the frost generally isn't as thick as it would be in an open area. loose leaves will freeze up, but the ground underneath can still be dig-able. old stands of large trees can be great as there's less frost and snow on the ground under the thick cover.
another good option in the winter is mall parking lots! check those huge snow piles where the plows push it and some good stuff can turn up! people reaching for keys, getting in/out of their cars and removing gloves lose things there in the lots and it gets pushed into the piles along with the snow. ;)

IF it snowed down here, my detector would not work in the snow. Because it would stay inside where it is nice and warm along with me.

If you do go detecting in the snow, make sure you protect you detector from getting wet. I have hear, but not sure, that snow is water in a different state.

That reminds me of when I bought my place. I took a walk on all the 10 acres and seen 3 acres were flooded. I thought about how much rain there had been and came to a conclusion it held water and would be wet most of the time. Well after buying the place I watched it dry up and have seen it dry more than I seen it wet. I did think about the 18 inches of snow we had Christmas Eve (a 100 year event they said) two months before. :dash2:

Hunting in snow and frost stinks. It tends to accumulate on your detector along with frozen dirt and makes it heavier. It cures cabin fevor for a little while but its not fun. My detectors hibernate in the winter most the time.

A little snow never hurt anyone, but ALOT of snow is a BAD thing for us MDers who get it. That's when you have to give it a rest and read the forum. : )

i hunt in the winter..frozen ground isnt much of a problem if your in the woods and you have a decent shovel(i have the raven by predator tools works great)..as for the snow,it does get messy dirty,muddy...and your digging equipment will get caked with frozen dirt...but you can still do it. i wont detect in snow that exceeds 3 inches..not worth it to me...but in the lighter snow under 3 inches has been productive,makes gridding very easy when you can see your tracks...

my advice would be go ahead and give it a shot,but stay away from parks...stay in the farm fields or woods..

Snow-new-help!?

I too am new and wondering about snow....

Yesterday I lost my phone in the snow while shoveling.
The phone I lost is in the snow, not buried in the ground.

Which settings should I use for Ace250 in these conditions? Not sure the depth it was dropped in, just noticed it missing after shoveling :-(

Your main concern is to keep your detector dry !!!! Frozen ground is hard to dig in, and snow can be abrasive on your coil and detector !!!

Back
Top Bottom