Sea girt

Brian33jersey

Is metal detecting allowed at sea girt. There's a military base there with it's own beach. Anyone know?

I dont remember any base at sea girt, but the normal sea girt beaches should be fair game for MDing. good luck and HH

Most military bases are closed unless you are military. If you were swinging a detector on a military base you might be looked at like a terrorists and I don't think I would want the questions that would follow.

Lots of public beaches where no questions would be asked.

I know the base you're referring to at Sea Girt. I don't think there's anything separating the public area from the military beach front. Looks like a good spot.

Your confusing Sea Girt with Sandy Hook

Is metal detecting allowed at sea girt. There's a military base there with it's own beach. Anyone know?

Sea Girt was a National Guard Base and still used somewhat as military, it is also home of the NJ STate Police Academy and also used to train local police. The beaches at Sandy Hook are OK to MD. On the other hand Sandy Hook is off limits. Up until the 50s it was a military gunnery range and after that a Nike Missle Battery was located there. It is now a State beach and also a Coast Guard Base. I believe MDing is still restricted there because unexploded ordinance still shows up sometimes in the water and on the beach. Located nearby is also Navel Weapons Station Earle which is strictly off limits and the waters around it for miles. Heavily patroled by armed Military and US Gov't Police. Hope this helps you.
Anthony

I was at the military review there today and I got to march past chris christy up close and personal. Afterwards I strolled on the beach. I forgot my beach wear so I couldn't put the new AT-Pro for a test drive. But the beach looks rather quaint and there was a nice cut.

Sea Girt is Ok, but all of Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway Nat'l Recreation Area and is off limits. Rangers will confiscate your detector. For a ridiculous fee rangers will allow you to hunt for lost items while they stand by and supervise.

All NJ beaches, with the exception of State and National Parks are open for metal detecting. Island Bch State Park and Corson's Inlet Stare Park require an easily obtainable permit. Cape May Point is off limits due to unexploded ordinance. However, at that park the state is doing you a favor by not letting you waste your time which is much better spent hunting the town beaches of Cape May.

Sea Girt is Ok, but all of Sandy Hook is part of the Gateway Nat'l Recreation Area and is off limits. Rangers will confiscate your detector. For a ridiculous fee rangers will allow you to hunt for lost items while they stand by and supervise.

All NJ beaches, with the exception of State and National Parks are open for metal detecting. Island Bch State Park and Corson's Inlet Stare Park require an easily obtainable permit. Cape May Point is off limits due to unexploded ordinance. However, at that park the state is doing you a favor by not letting you waste your time which is much better spent hunting the town beaches of Cape May.

Where do you get the Permit from to hunt on Corson Inlet state park? Thanks Steve.

Welcome to the forum mrnavy2!

You happened upon a very old thread and most of the posters in it no longer post, but I am sure some of our current members can answer your question.

Back
Top Bottom