Philosophy of smaller coil v/s larger?

Point is that if you are cleaning out an area to expose the deeper good targets it makes no sense to use the smal coil.

Except that you can isolate each target , pinpoint and dig that particular target more easily , and on a case by case basis you can see results sooner. As an added benefit , with a little loss of depth , your shallower targets are less likely to be "masked" or sometimes even cancelled out by deeper ones.

Ive personally had the best success using the small coil first , thats all I can say. What works best for you may be different. But a lot of what we do dont seem to make sense at first , until it does.

This is only part of the benefit of the small coil tho. The best benefit is if you are not digging everything and just picking in between targets to get the goodies out. Now THAT is something you really do need the small coil for ;)

I completely understand the use of a smal coil. But I promise you if I am going to dig everything and clean out a area I can do it better and faster with a larger coil.
Think about it. Smal coil = shallow targets. Dig shallow targets cover hole until all shallow targets are gone. Now use large coil and redig the same area/holes.Not me.
Just my thoughts
Jpiddle

Point is that if you are cleaning out an area to expose the deeper good targets it makes no sense to use the smal coil.

Nope and nope.
If you want to use a shovel and sifter to "clean out the whole area", fine.
If you use the large coil in a trashy area I doubt to will even be able to find every target.

Just read about the many hunters who have hunted their own backyard over and over and over till their were no signals left...and then when back with a sniper coil and found more they didn't even know was there.
That was in areas with sparse signals, in areas with concentrated trash the numbers are even higher.

I know you are trying to think logically about this, but in our world that kind of logic will make you miss stuff.
In a trashy site you think using the large coil is the more efficient and faster way...in reality it is the opposite.
I depend on hunters thinking this way and hunting trashy sites using their larger coils and having supreme confidence in those coils and their abilities to find all good targets...even if they dig all signals they come across.
I have found many great targets at sites like these when I come in after them using snipers after they were so sure they cleaned them out.

A few times I have been warned off of sites by hunters that have seen me and came up to talk to me.
Well meaning, but at one particular site I was told that this guy and his friends had hunted this very small park over and over and over for years and there is nothing left to find because they got it all.
He was absolutely sure of this.
I said thanks for the tip and hunted there anyway the first few times using a larger coil.
Found some clad but not much else those first times, but then I came back with the sniper coil and eventually found a couple of old lighters, an old ID bracelet, a silver dime, a silver ring and the choicest target all of us missed using larger coils...a 1949 inaugural coin that was not the official large variety but a smaller one also made and sold by the US mint.
All these targets were here for years, all were shallow and all were found with an economy detector, an F2...and a sniper coil.

inaugural.jpg

By the way at this site using the larger coil I was digging it all, all signals I came across good, bad, iffy and ugly.
All of these good targets were found in areas I went over and all the rest of those guys too with larger coils.

Also small coils don't necessarily mean only shallow targets can be found.
I have a Vaquero and an F70 and sniper coils mounted on these two can go just about as deep as the larger, standard coils.

I attack these trashy sites 180 degrees the other way than you think.
"Clean" out the area best I can using the sniper coils.
When there is very little or no signals left then bring in the larger coils to see what was missed and what may be deeper...and even sniper coils can miss targets depending on the direction you hit them from.

Back
Top Bottom