Blackberries

CarsonChris

Elite Member
One of my favorite finds this year were some blackberry off shoots. I found these 3 on one of my better hunts. Brought them home along with a Mercury dime and a silver brooch. 0480DB79-47AE-4BEE-B10B-3FB451EE4401.jpg

We have Himalayan blackberry here and that stuff is covering my neighbors lower half of backyard, I actually bought a machete to jump the fence and hack it back and make a buffer of 4’ or so so it doesn’t come over onto my property. Stuff is hard to get rid of.

Is what you have the Rubus ursinus?

Congrats on some great finds. I started with five plants 2 years ago built a trellis to attempt to train them been trying to learn how to propagate some healthy crops. The first pic shows the 5 centered plants and now with 8 additional plants that will bare fruit next year. I was also able to transfer another 7 plants to and built second trellis this Spring (2nd Pic) with a hope for many years of a sustainable supply of Blackberries. Trapper

Attachments

• BB ! .JPG
    BB ! .JPG
    189 KB · Views: 240
  • BB 2 .jpg
    BB 2 .jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 231
We are overrun with the bloomin' things over here. A very invasive plant known as brambles. When I was a boy (now just a distant memory) I used to pick them and sell to the elderly in the area for pocket money. They appreciated It and would make tarts or a crumble. Cook 'em with apple ;)

Better keep it contained or you will never get rid of it! Congrats on the finds!

Briars, brambles, blackberry, all the same..

It's free in Michigan, if you want blackberries, don't mow, easy as that.. I have to walk miles though that stuff every week. :no:

<°)))>{

Jim the ones I have are thorn less. The berries get the size of quarters and are very sweet. Trapper

Nice!

Mine are dangerous thorny and size of a nickel at best.. But they taste good..

On a side note, in chigger country, avoid blackberry patches whenever possible..

<°)))>{

We have Himalayan blackberry here and that stuff is covering my neighbors lower half of backyard, I actually bought a machete to jump the fence and hack it back and make a buffer of 4’ or so so it doesn’t come over onto my property. Stuff is hard to get rid of.

Is what you have the Rubus ursinus?
When I was in Rocklin, CA we had unwanted thorny blackberry plants near our house. I fought them with everything I had for about 20 years, but they just kept coming back.

Yep, very hard to get rid of once the roots snake out onto the land.

Back
Top Bottom