Outdoor Noticings...

Mud-puppy

Forum Supporter
Well, Interested in your 'this years outdoor noticings' so far...since we are outside all of the time, we are the front line canaries in the coalmine of noticing changes or whatnot...

Ive noticed...theres NO flies at all this year! They generally rip you a knew korn chute when the wind is offshore out of the east! ....NO Box turtles seen for the past 2yrs, ...Also have not seen one toad or frog or snake....???

Big year Bumpercrop of Bunnies!...fuzzybutts all over the place!, ...vending machine vanishment...continuing steady and Massive decline in totter clad.....

The Sun seems to be a bit out of place or something?..Still trying to figure it out....No bigfoot sightings this season yet luckily...just general outdoor noticings a guy thinks about....What are yours?...

.........................Russia is in volved.......Vladimir is controlling our insect and animal populations as well.

.........................Russia is in volved.......Vladimir is controlling our insect and animal populations as well.

Whats he got against bees and bugs? Come to think of it, I've not seen one honeybee or had to wipe any bugs off my windshield...no bugs in the front radiator of my car either...Vladimir or Monsanto?

Well, Interested in your 'this years outdoor noticings' so far...since we are outside all of the time, we are the front line canaries in the coalmine of noticing changes or whatnot...

Ive noticed...theres NO flies at all this year! They generally rip you a knew korn chute when the wind is offshore out of the east! ....NO Box turtles seen for the past 2yrs, ...Also have not seen one toad or frog or snake....???

Big year Bumpercrop of Bunnies!...fuzzybutts all over the place!, ...vending machine vanishment...continuing steady and Massive decline in totter clad.....

The Sun seems to be a bit out of place or something?..Still trying to figure it out....No bigfoot sightings this season yet luckily...just general outdoor noticings a guy thinks about....What are yours?...

Jeff said he has been getting nailed by the big black flies. Maybe he just smells like !!!! :laughing:

Jeff said he has been getting nailed by the big black flies. Maybe he just smells like !!!! :laughing:

Not like in the years past...Man..those monsters would come pouring out of the dunes in vast swarms! all over the shoreline, and nothing would stop them! Not even a 6mil wetsuit!

I think I saw Jeff on the Beachcam hunting at Catamaran Cove the other day...that was sort of funny...Hey, Rat, I got the $10 dollars I owe you...

Living in the sticks this year I have seen

1 rattlesnake
1 Gopher Snake
1 Garter Snake
1 mom with 2 baby raccoons
100's Turkeys
Geese
Jack Rabbts
Many Deer, many babies too
Skunk
2 Gray Foxes (lil buggers like to bark at me)
Squirrels
Gophers
Killed 11 Wolf Spiders on the house
a few Scorpions.
Less Wasps this year since I put out a couple fake hives
A few Bugs that look like something out of Predator

Seems I have all kinds of things out here looking to kill me or move in.

Last edited:
Big decline in anole lizards, frogs and snakes. Rats, skunks armadillos and possums remain plentiful. Fewer turtles. Lightning bugs are all gone.

Lots of deer, snakes, bunnies, coons, Orioles, and more Red Fox than I've seen in decades.

If you want flies, just come work with me. They haven't been bad until just lately, but they've come on with a vengeance in the last few weeks. It's costing me a small fortune for fly spray, and my horses aren't even the recipients of any of it.

This is the first full summer we've been in our house so I'm not certain what is normal and what is unusual. But aside from the bobcats, coyotes, and rabbit pictures I get on my game cameras, I found a 4' bull snake skin in the back yard last week. I think it's living in the wife's flower bed. I moved one of the game cams over there so maybe I'll get some pics to post.

Some problems here in Florida

Alligators are as plentiful as ever. Crocodiles are expanding their range northward from the brackish everglades. Telephone pole size snakes are feeding on glades deer and rabbits. If only they would consume more pork it would solve another problem. Wild hogs are everywhere. They breed like wild hogs....I guess that's redundant.

The hogs eat most anything. If they could develop a taste for snakes and snakes refining their taste for hogs it would make for a better south Florida.

The armadillo population is holding steady a million born every year and an
.equal number crushed by trucks in the same period.

Feral cats are on the rise. Unfortunate that domestic cats are not as wily as the ferals when it comes to crossing the road.

Bobcats are doing well, but the black bear population seems to be expanding. They can sniff out a ripe trash can in downtown Orlando.

Mosquitos and brown recluse spiders are everywhere. The recluse can be anywhere. Next time you visit Florida you might want to check under your table when you sit down for a meal.

Florida being the lightning strike capital of the southeast you would think a gator or hog would be eliminated on occasion, but no, lightning seems to be more selective taking out cattle and horse. Oh well.

Last edited:
I have seen plenty of snakes... Most of them were about 30 feet in the air, dangling from the talons of a hungry raptor. I have seen a metric-butt-ton of Rabbits too. A similar amount of flies, mosquitoes, ticks, etc.

I am waiting for OwlCON 2018 to begin. OwlCon 2017 was ... surreal. Two dozen or so owls in the woods having a very heated discussion on something. Not sure what. Might have been where the best spots for mice are, where the best spot to meet a lady owl, or what is going to happen on Game of Thrones. They didn't even sound like they were all the same species of owl.

Spaceballs was a true story........

iu

Big decline in anole lizards, frogs and snakes. Rats, skunks armadillos and possums remain plentiful. Fewer turtles.

Lightning bugs are all gone.

I've noticed here the lack of Lightning bugs this year, we usually see them mostly sometime around June and July but this year I think I "might" have seen "one" on two different nights but not sure because when I kept watching for a while to see it light up again I didn't see it light up again. :?:

I've noticed plenty of everything this summer..

Monarch butterflies/catipillars, lots of dragonflies and damselflies, banner year for lightning bugs, skeeters are just beginning to thin out, plenty of snakes, rescued one box turtle from the highway. Tons of frogs, tree, leapord, bull, spring peepers. Toads everywhere.. Lots of praying mantis..

Actually seeing insects here I've never seen before, example, first time I've ever seen a giant swallowtail butterfly, I guess they are becoming more common in Michigan due to the warmer winters..

Although, I'm in a state of hyper vigilance..

Last couple years I was very surprised at the lack of mosquitos really, but not this year..

Maybe I'll post some pictures from my other phone..

<°)))>{

No crawdads since the 70’s. Us kids used to harvest ‘em by the 5 gallon bucket.
Ten inch lobsters. No more.

<*)))>{

Attachments

• 80A5E114-33C3-44E4-B6C4-B143659928F8.jpg
    80A5E114-33C3-44E4-B6C4-B143659928F8.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 9798FA0D-2297-4C0E-8FEE-CB2D1CED7FFA.jpg
    9798FA0D-2297-4C0E-8FEE-CB2D1CED7FFA.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 25EB8E36-FC52-4FA2-8B2A-DD40E7D59E55.jpg
    25EB8E36-FC52-4FA2-8B2A-DD40E7D59E55.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 188
  • 81CE8044-5425-472E-AFB7-94EA6C2F9782.jpg
    81CE8044-5425-472E-AFB7-94EA6C2F9782.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 183
Haven't seen any ladybugs for years, been replaced by imposter bugs. Very few yellow and black spiders ( golden orb ) I think the yellow jackets killed them off.

Back
Top Bottom