AT Pro Issue with Rechargeable Batteries

RF1

I recently started using rechargeable batteries with my AT Pro. My machine started acting up when the battery meter showed two bars from the bottom. It was randomly chattering with random VDI numbers showing when it was not moving. Did it when pointed in the air too. A reset did not help. Was not near any EMI. I changed out the batteries with a set of fully charged batteries and the crazy chattering stopped, so it must be related to the rechargeable batteries. I am using Eneloop batteries. Anyone else experience this with rechargeable batteries?

i haven't experienced this yet. i've been using energizer rechargeable batteries, and i was told once that the at pro doesn't like when the batteries get low, so i usually bring a back up, and change as soon as i see it get down to 2 bars.

I wasn't running Eneloops when I had my ATP, but it DEFINITELY did not like the batteries getting low. One of the reasons I don't have it still...Battery hog...:D Eneloop Pros in my MXT All Pro have been great and I average around 30 hours on a charge. (Keep in mind the MXT carries 8 batteries). Haven't had it act up while using them.

Hope it starts cooperating and HH! :aok:

I haven't run rechargeables yet in mine (they somehow were eaten by Xbox controllers) but I've never noticed a performance problem with weakened batteries. I usually change mine out when they starting bouncing down to one bar.

When I had an AT Pro I ran exclusively Harbor Freight rechargeable batteries. Never had an issue. Maybe try different batteries or a reset?

i haven't experienced this yet. i've been using energizer rechargeable batteries, and i was told once that the at pro doesn't like when the batteries get low, so i usually bring a back up, and change as soon as i see it get down to 2 bars.

Yes..the Pro does not like halfdeads..It will not function or hunt properly once they fall off 2 bars..at about 12hrs depending on if you are using your PP button or not, I never do, so I get a bit more life, but not much...maybe another hour...It doesnt matter if you use top of the line brand names or the cheapest alkys you can find, they all perform at the same time/performance level I've noticed, so I buy the cheapest and just swing away!

Beware, The AtPro batt gage is NOT Linear, so it will fool you, you have to estimate your operating time and take care to do a swap before this becomes a problem...Also, check your batt level at the END of a hunt and change them out then if they have fallen off two bars....At the beginning of a hunt, even dead batts will show full bars for about 15 minutes, just long enough for you to get a good ways from your car and spares, Then Boom! No power! What a guy can do, is turn off the rig, pull the batts, warm them up a little, reinsert, and at least get another 15min hunt on your way back to the car for the spares...

The thing is, the Pro just does not like half deads, but these batts still have plenty of usable life left for other things... like my F70, which will run another 12hrs of serious solid hunting stuffed with the Pro halfdeads, or the TV remote, or the garage door sensors, flashlights, games, or whatever...

I go through a 48 pack of alkalines per year...No biggie at all, I dont even worry about it...they cost 25c each and more than pay for themselves in clad/jewelry finds.....I cant have rechargeables around here on account of they would be scarfed up for other things around the house and I would be in a worse situation with no batts at all when I need them!....I would get up early and want to go out on a hunt, and for sure my rechargeables would be missing! :mad: So I keep my batt stash out in my car with my gear nice and ready and safe...

So yeah..just know this about the Pro...change your batts after 12hrs use, do not rely on that gage, dont be so cheap you ruin a hunt and potentially miss the find of a lifetime...We aint doing this Sport to see how many hunting hours we can get for a dollar of batts...its a good rig, one small gold ring pays for the whole season of batts and the rest of the finds are free...!

All my AA's begin their Life in the AtPro, and then from there go on to provide other important duties...So its a real Win Win when you think about it in this context...

I use rechargeable batteries in my At Pro, never have had a problem. Love that I can just plug the charger into a wall outlet! I usually change them out at 2 bars strength, though I have run them down to one bar a few times with no issues. I think I use a mix of Energizer and Eneloop batteries. I do carry a set of 4 fully charged batteries in my extra At Pro battery holder when I hunt, just in case there are any issues.

I guess I'll just be more aware of battery life with the rechargeables. I always ran the non-rechargeables down low without issue. I am getting about three hunts before the chattering occurs, so I can live with that. Just wanted to confirm that the rechargeables were most likely the issue.

Yes..the Pro does not like halfdeads..It will not function or hunt properly once they fall off 2 bars..at about 12hrs depending on if you are using your PP button or not, I never do, so I get a bit more life, but not much...maybe another hour...It doesnt matter if you use top of the line brand names or the cheapest alkys you can find, they all perform at the same time/performance level I've noticed, so I buy the cheapest and just swing away!

Beware, The AtPro batt gage is NOT Linear, so it will fool you, you have to estimate your operating time and take care to do a swap before this becomes a problem...Also, check your batt level at the END of a hunt and change them out then if they have fallen off two bars....At the beginning of a hunt, even dead batts will show full bars for about 15 minutes, just long enough for you to get a good ways from your car and spares, Then Boom! No power! What a guy can do, is turn off the rig, pull the batts, warm them up a little, reinsert, and at least get another 15min hunt on your way back to the car for the spares...

The thing is, the Pro just does not like half deads, but these batts still have plenty of usable life left for other things... like my F70, which will run another 12hrs of serious solid hunting stuffed with the Pro halfdeads, or the TV remote, or the garage door sensors, flashlights, games, or whatever...

I go through a 48 pack of alkalines per year...No biggie at all, I dont even worry about it...they cost 25c each and more than pay for themselves in clad/jewelry finds.....I cant have rechargeables around here on account of they would be scarfed up for other things around the house and I would be in a worse situation with no batts at all when I need them!....I would get up early and want to go out on a hunt, and for sure my rechargeables would be missing! :mad: So I keep my batt stash out in my car with my gear nice and ready and safe...

So yeah..just know this about the Pro...change your batts after 12hrs use, do not rely on that gage, dont be so cheap you ruin a hunt and potentially miss the find of a lifetime...We aint doing this Sport to see how many hunting hours we can get for a dollar of batts...its a good rig, one small gold ring pays for the whole season of batts and the rest of the finds are free...!

All my AA's begin their Life in the AtPro, and then from there go on to provide other important duties...So its a real Win Win when you think about it in this context...

Now that's a pro tip! make sure you check your battery life at the end of your hunt. since i'm using rechargeables, i usually just recharge after every hunt, but that's a great piece of advice. before i started using rechargeable batteries, i wouldn't every think to check my battery life at the end of the hunt. Great piece of advice!

Back
Top Bottom