Who has a Wood Stove?

Utah_T-Hunter

Elite Member
This last week been out getting firewood since it is my main source of heat in the Winter.Just wondering how many people on here use a Wood Stove?

What is your avatar chewing on? :D Wood arourd here sells for almost $300 a cord... its cheaper to heat with oil ;)

What is your avatar chewing on? :D Wood arourd here sells for almost $300 a cord... its cheaper to heat with oil ;)

When I lived out in NY .. Kerosane was available. Here in this town I live in Gas is only available and no Kerosane. Wood Heat is much cheaper. Gas Cost 1 grand to 3 grand for average use for a 3 month period.

As for what that Avatar is chewing on.... Not sure lol. Could be Paper? Whatever it is must be real good and chewy.:lol:

I have a wood stove that we use for supplemental/emergency heating. I burn 2 to 3 cords a year. I'm glad we have it because or power here is less than reliable and last Christmas day we had a power outage with zero degree temps.

I have a wood stove that we use for supplemental/emergency heating. I burn 2 to 3 cords a year. I'm glad we have it because or power here is less than reliable and last Christmas day we had a power outage with zero degree temps.

Very good Thinking. For me I love just plain wood heat. Gas Heat and Electric heat is not the same as direct heat a wood stove gives. Wood is very plentiful here which is a good thing.

Wood is cheap here also. The Forest Service designates areas for wood cutting. These areas are where the Pine Beetle has infested the trees and we get free wood permits up to 6 cords.

Utah, I do not have heating of any kind in my house or boat shop. Growing up on Key West my childhood home had a brick fireplace that we used 5 or 6 times a year when the air got below 60 or so. It was nice because 55 degrees seems very cold when you are used to 85 all the time. Last winter it got down to 41 here in Key West. Coldest I've ever seen. Truly thought I'd have to pull a Jack London and cut open one of my dogs to warm my hands. Man, was it awful.

OT

Utah, I do not have heating of any kind in my house or boat shop. Growing up on Key West my childhood home had a brick fireplace that we used 5 or 6 times a year when the air got below 60 or so. It was nice because 55 degrees seems very cold when you are used to 85 all the time. Last winter it got down to 41 here in Key West. Coldest I've ever seen. Truly thought I'd have to pull a Jack London and cut open one of my dogs to warm my hands. Man, was it awful.
OT

Omg that must have been Tragic Old Town! How did you survive the cold!? You should write a Survival book! Get a place on Oprah! Make millions and start jumping on a couch!

We have a wood stove and I'm in the process of buying a new one for this winter.I cord of seasoned wood here is $160-$180 burn about 4-6 cords and used just a 1/2 tank of oil last season .

I wish I did have a wood stove or fireplace to suppliment the gas furnace but I live in an old two story house with no way to install one unless I do some serious cutting or run the chimney out a window , so I am looking into a ventless gas fireplace.

In places where wood is expensive , you can find a lot of cheap or even free wood yourself if you keeep your eye out for fallen trees , land clearing , road maintenance crews cutting branches away from power lines , craigslist adds , etc. Its harder doing the work and cutting yourself but a lot of wood can be collected during the summer and that most of the time can be counted as free heat.

WOW!!! I should bring a few loads to Connecticut, the price up here went up last winter to about $60/cord and I thought that was high. We have a wood/oil combination furnace in the cellar that we heat with. Steve.

When I lived out in NY .. Kerosane was available. Here in this town I live in Gas is only available and no Kerosane. Wood Heat is much cheaper. Gas Cost 1 grand to 3 grand for average use for a 3 month period.

As for what that Avatar is chewing on.... Not sure lol. Could be Paper? Whatever it is must be real good and chewy.:lol:
No trying to hijack the thread but I was wondering what part of New York did you use to live.

No trying to hijack the thread but I was wondering what part of New York did you use to live.

I used to live in the Tristate Area. Millerton, NY. One mile from Lakeville, CT and Sharon, Mass was only 15 miles away by rough estimation. I was there for 7 years. Millerton is on the bottom of NY. One hour away or so from Hudson,Kingston, and Poughkeepsie, NY.

When I lived out in NY .... I loved the fact Kersosane fuel was available for a kersosane Heater. Here in Utah there is no Kersosane or Heaters. All outlawed. Only to certain areas natural Gas is available.... Propane is widely available. And of course wood heat.

Burned wood for primary heat in a newly installed Regency stove with a blower, love it. It was cold freagin winter in east central ny.

Back
Top Bottom