Where I come from (challenge)

ugadigger

Elite Member
Since there are people from all over the globe on FMDF, I thought it would be fun to find out what your area is most known for.

I know some will be well known and maybe you are embarrassed over others. Obviously this thread will be totally subjective, but interesting and fun.

Don't be too thin skinned! This can be fun since you northerners can't hunt in frozen ground anyway :laughing:, might as well laugh some!

Since I love to eat, here are a few to start the thread...

Best thing(s) about Georgia:
Coca-Cola
Chik-fil-a
Vidalia Onions

I am from North Louisiana....more specifically Monroe....I now live in Shreveport

Monroe:
Duck Dynasty
the home of Delta airlines
The owners of the 1st coca cola bottling co (located in Vicksburg)

Shreveport:
Elvis got his musical start (the louisiana hayride)
Hank Williams Sr
Making movies

Louisiana:
Jazz
Mardi Gras
New Orleans

Dodge City Kansas. Pretty well known across the world. Established in 1871. Built at the Santa Fe Trail crossing between the Wet and Dry routes used as early as 1541 by Coronado, and 1821 by William Becknell. Also the dreaded junction travelers of the Santa Fe Trail could take straight to Santa Fe but few water stops. Known as the La Jornada (the Journey)
Home to:
Wyatt Earp
Bat Masterson
Doc Holiday
George Custer

Best thing about Kansas is the people. When I was in the service I saw a fair bit of the country and while I met a lot of good people from all over the states, Kansas just still stuck out in my mind as really good people.

This might be completely out of line with reality but this is the impression I came away with.

People from the eastern states seemed rude. They aren't really but it is because they are so much more direct and set in their ways that make them seem that way to me.

People from the south were a lot like the people from the central states, like Kansas, but seemed a little more unpredictable.

People from the northern states were good people. Fair and honest hard working.

People from the West were very unpredictable. They were very friendly, upfront, but could change their personality at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:
Wichita, Kansas

Spirit Aircraft (Formerly Boeing)
Birthplace of Cessna Aircraft
Birthplace of Beech Aircraft
Birthplace of Coleman
Birthplace of Pizza Hut
Birthplace of White Castle

I'm from Mason City, Iowa.
Notables:

John Dillinger robbed the First National Bank,
on March 14, 1934; getting away with $52,000 :gettinmoney:

Hometown of Meredith Wilson "The Music Man"
He also composed the song, "It's Beginning to Look Alot Like Christmas"
:sledding::snowshovel::santa::xmas:
Other notable songs from The Music Man Musical, 76 Trombones,
Trouble... Right here in River City

Mason City/Clear Lake Ia.
Last performance of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens,
& J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson
After the performance at the Surf-ballroom,
a fateful plane crash killing the pilot and the 3 performers.
On Feb.3rd 1959 is also known as "The Day The Music Died" :tissue:

Corning NY also known as the "Crystal City" due to the booming cut crystal business in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Also Frederick Carter a well known glass maker and artist lived and worked here. Another famous Crystal maker was Thomas Hawkes and I have had the pleasure of detecting his Former mansion that still stands today.

This city is also known as where Corning Inc. (formerly known as Corning glass works) got its start. They made bulbs in the early days for Edison, windows for the Apollo space capsule, Pyrex, Corelle and also Gorilla Glass.
My wife and I both work there as did my father, Grandfather and great grandfather

Last edited:
Kenosha Wi

Known for:
AMC - American Motors
Brats
Cheese Curds
Home to the Pull Tab (you would think)
Home of Al Molinaro, come on you all know Happy Days, also related. R.I.P
Kringle country

South Carolina is known for various things, but I'll focus on one thing in the small town of Winnsboro we live in -

The Winnsboro town clock, the longest continuously running clock in the United States, which has run continuously for over 100 years.

winnsborotownclock.jpg

winnsboro.jpg

Garland, Tx.

Supposedly the creator of King of the Hill grew up in Richardson, Tx, but we tend to believe the shows setting is based off of Garland which is right next door to Richardson. Looks and sounds just too familiar...

Other than that and a new "outdoor mall" that just opened a few years ago, nothing much happens in Garland...nothing, it's great!

Rochester, N.Y.
Home of the "Garbage Plate"
Lou Gramm of Foreigner
Susan B. Anthony
Frederick Douglas
Eastman Kodak....(Like that matters anymore..:no:)

Maine
Lobsters
Potatoes
Wild blueberries ( 99% of USA)
Lighthouses
Acadia National park
Paul Bunyan

LL Bean Store

Back
Top Bottom