FREEZING temperature - What clothes??

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Okay ladies and gentlemen....

I have a trip in two weeks that will take me into some pretty cold climates. We're looking at temps right now at around -13 for low and a high of about 5 degrees.

Of course two weeks can drastically change the temps, but I need to be prepared. I have been in -13 degree weather before but it was dry and windy. We are going to Michigan and it's wet and blowing lake effect snow where we are heading.

I have a balaclava, gloves, layered coats, etc. My question is what kind of pants?? I have flannel lined jeans, but I know jeans being made of cotton are not the best as they can wick up moisture and snow sticks to them easily.

We are going to be walking through some snow covered properties, so snow could be as much as knee deep in some places!

Waterproof snow pants? If so, what do you wear under those??? Jeans?

As long as you have a warm coat and wear some layers the top half will be fine. (Also a good multi layer hat or even a ski mask if the wind is blowing) If you're going to MI you can pick up some insulated snowpants up there anywhere. As long as you're not near water you don't need to worry about them being waterproof. I was born and raised in the UP (family still up there) and when temps are like they are now the snow isn't going to melt on the snowpants and get you wet. The cheap nyon insulated ones will work just fine especially if your just trying to stay warm and not hanging off the bumpers of cars going down the road. Down south you have the dry heat in the summer, up north this time of year it's the dry snow. Just avoid anything thats fuzzy or loose cotton on the outside. Snow will stick to that and as soon as you go somewhere warm it will melt and get soaked.

In our kind of cold you don't need to worry about waterproof pants, because the outer layer is too cold for snow to melt on.
That said, I'm not fluffy at all (5'10"@150#) and lose heat fast, so I usually wear thermal underwear(top and bottoms), flannel lined jeans, sweatshirt, insulated flannel shirt, and either an insulated set of bibs & coat or insulated coveralls. Good boots, hat, and gloves/mittens are a must.

Wind is your enemy. It's why some prefer coveralls, because there is never a gap that wind can circulate air through as it can get under a coat. Ventilation is important too if you're going to be exerting yourself. Overheating causes you to sweat, which in turn will cool down and give you a chill, so two-way zippers are a good idea. Unzip when you warm up, and zip up when you stop moving.

Your balaclava, attached hood, or a scarf are good if it's windy too, because exposed skin can freeze in 30min, so being able to cover your face and neck can be important.

Mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves that keep your fingers separated. If dexterity is important, pilot's mittens are a viable option.

Boots with removable liners are a good idea too. I have more than one set of liners so that one set can be drying while I use another. Damp liners will freeze your feet.

It was -25 F here the other day. I've hunted, ice fished and snowshoed in that kind of weather.
Wool long johns and wool pants. Wool is warm, it stays warm even when wet. It dries pretty quickly and wool long johns are so comfy. It can be expensive, but worth it.

I have lived in northern Michigan 99% of my life and I have had to deal with some extremely cold temps. Keep in mind you can over dress for the cold and it has a reverse effect. As mentioned, wool is your friend for sure. Start with the feet. Good wool socks with a thin pair of silk or rayon under sock to wick away sweat. If you plan on being out for a long period of time spray your feet with an antiperspirant to help prevent sweating. Under clothes should start with cotton under shorts and tee. then an open weave body stocking like polyester fishnet and wool long johns over it. The fishnet provides dead air chambers that hold the heat in better. Remember cotton will hold sweat, polyester will wick it away to dry keeping you warm. Your outer clothes should be a very tight weave to act as a wind break. If the wind can get in you will be cold. Carharts were my weapon of choice when I was working power lines. You had to dress warm, but you had to be able to move as well. A Balaklava(sp) for your head, and if your hands get cold easy, mittens not fingered gloves. Just remember you can wear fifteen layers of clothes, but if they are tight you will get cold. Fairly loose is good.Maybe not stylish, but you will be warm.

I'm a lineman with AT&T in Michigan, I'm outdoors all day every day.
I'm not a hat and gloves kinda guy, just very tolerant of the cold. When temps average zero, I wear thermal bottoms covered by Wranglers. Hoodie and heavy coat for top. That's it for me:D

Layers! Thermal underwear, fleece shirt, a sweatjacket or hoodie and coveralls. The kind with the full leg zipper are my favorite. Clean dry socks, good boots and remember if your feet are cold put your hat on. A good hat is important. Mittens are warmer than gloves. Shooting mittens, with a thumb and finder, work well.

A ski mask is your best friend, especially if you're going to be in the wind for any length of time. The windchill can easily knock twenty degrees off the temperature, and it's NOT fun to be out there if your face is freezing. Trust me, I've grown up in sunny, tropical Wisconsin. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom