I am LIVID!!!!!!

Midknight

Elite Member
I got off work today and decided to go to the local bookstore. After spending 10 minutes at the store, I walked back to my car, and that is when I saw it: my back license plate was missing.:no: my first thought was that it fell off at some point in the last 6 days since I last went in my trunk. But as I started thinking about it I realized I had been in not so nice neighborhood in a not so nice city on Tuesday all day visiting family. So I am now thinking it was stolen on Tuesday and I hadn't noticed it till now because I have not had a reason to go behind my car or open my trunk.

After making a police report I am now researching how much this theft is going to cost me.:no: 2 new plates and at 2 new stickers. Not to mention i don't have the screws to replace the missing ones! Dam thieves!!!!!!:mad: and not to mention the hours of wasted time at the DMV tomorrow morning before work.:no:

Anyone know the cost to get new plates and stickers in California?

That sucks!
I would think with the police report, the DMV should issue you new ones free of charge.
Oh wait, I live in the Midwest, how naive.
Probably $150 in CA:mad:

Many years ago I had a police officer come to my home because a car with my license number had been involved in an armed robbery. We went out to my car and discovered my plate had been stolen. The officer said it was fairly common to steal a plate and put it on a stolen car to commit crimes. I was just glad mine was the stolen plate instead of the stolen car. :yes:

In ohio, just the cost of the actual metal tag (5-10 dollars) and they credit you with the time that was left before
expiration. Take a copy of report if possible. GL

If you live in California I would start making a paper trail of everything you have done and all reports made to the police concerning the plate theft.
With the amount of redlight cameras in your state chances are you will be getting some bills in the mail. Most likely they are just going to use your plate on a stolen vehicle and if they do something illegal (good possibility) and someone gets YOUR plate # you better be prepared to prove it was not in your possession.
Good luck

Go to your local PD NOW and tell them where you have been etc. Before you get a knock on your door.
I've seen 2 cars, same model driving side by side on freeway with identical rear plates. Hello GTA.

Looks like you can fill out the paperwork online, make an appointment and owe 20.00 from everything I have read. No need to take off work. You have a police report. NOT a big deal. If you need help finding everything I have PM me and I will give you the links. Just be glad it was your plates and not your whole vehicle.

NO cop even if they pull you over would give you a hard time if you have the police report and the application for substitute plates in your possession.

Relax, take a deep breath and it will pass. Autozone and any of the other auto parts places have plenty of replacement bolts for probably under 5.00.

Looks like you can fill out the paperwork online, make an appointment and owe 20.00 from everything I have read. No need to take off work. You have a police report. NOT a big deal. If you need help finding everything I have PM me and I will give you the links. Just be glad it was your plates and not your whole vehicle.

NO cop even if they pull you over would give you a hard time if you have the police report and the application for substitute plates in your possession.

Relax, take a deep breath and it will pass. Autozone and any of the other auto parts places have plenty of replacement bolts for probably under 5.00.

Thanks scuba. From what I read I will owe them $18 for the plates plus what ever the stickers will cost. It is more of an annoyance than anything.This is the 1st time I have ever had anything stolen from me of any value. I had planned on waking up early tomorrow and buying new tires for my car before work, but with the wait time at the DMV I may not have the time before work. As a college student in a low paying job even $20 is a issue. Hh and gl.

Thanks scuba. From what I read I will owe them $18 for the plates plus what ever the stickers will cost. It is more of an annoyance than anything.This is the 1st time I have ever had anything stolen from me of any value. I had planned on waking up early tomorrow and buying new tires for my car before work, but with the wait time at the DMV I may not have the time before work. As a college student in a low paying job even $20 is a issue. Hh and gl.

NO need to skip work as I said. Download the paperwork and fill it out. Have that and the police report with you in CASE an officer pulls you over. Make an appointment with them WHEN you can at work and RELAX. Laugh it off.

So many worse things will happen in your lifetime, this is a small pothole in the road of life. When you have had 6 daughters, been divorced, buried your parents due to a guy on drugs, buried your wife when she was only 45, lost your home, and other major things, you will realize life is full of small setbacks and you can only laugh when they happen.

Hopefully the person that stole your plates will get caught. They will have a major headache when the officer gives them a big fat ticket, impounds their car and have a lot more of a fine than 20 measly dollars.

Peace and have a Happy New Year!!

Last edited:
That's why I always keep my plates locked securely in my trunk. :lol: But seriously, that's a bummer but it sounds like it should be a (relatively) easy fix. Annoying for sure though. I once had somebody switch plates with me and I didn't notice for months! :lol:

Not sure if this can be done for what you need the DMV to do, but try to see if you can make an appointment by phone or on line before going in. The wait lines are horrendous, especially right now!

I got the new plates this morning before work. All in all it worked out alright. Thanks for the words everyone. Hopefully the douche gets thrown in jail and has their car sent to the crusher due to a technicality.:D

In Illinois, it's $6 to replace one plate ($9 for both) and $20 for the replacement sticker if it was the rear plate. I'm honestly shocked it's that low here in Illinois. The state bends us over the sink as much as they do in California.

Here's something you probably didn't know. Stolen plates are used many times to do a "gas-and-go" where you fill up your car and don't pay. If you didn't take the time to file a police report, they could very well come after you for the lost gas purchase. Sometimes the sneaky perps will just steal your registration sticker off your plate so they don't get pulled over for that.

Dirtbags......all of them. While they're at it, they need to make driving without insurance eligible for the death penalty.

When I was stationed in WA I had a motorcycle stolen from my house. Reported it missing that day. About 2 months later I get an arrest warrant in the mail for not paying some type of ticket. I went down to the courthouse trying to figure out what the heck it was for. Turns out it was for failure to show a drivers licence. Ticket was for the same motorcycle reported stolen a month after I reported it. Insurance and registration we're in the tool compartment on the bike. (probably a stupid place to keep in in hindsight) So apparently the thief got pulled over, showed my paperwork, no licence of course, was let go with a ticket ON MY REPORTRED STOLEN BIKE!!! I went through the roof on that one. They just apoligized and I never did see that bike again.

And now I realize why Texas has window stickers. You would have notices the missing windshield much sooner. LOL

LOL your post made me laugh. When I was an officer we learned about STUPID laws. One I remember is that it is illegal to drive wihout windshield wipers in Texas. HOWEVER, it is NOT illegal to drive without a windshild.

Ohh and for Michigan (Detroit), it is illegal to tie an alligator to a fire hydrant.

I know when that happened to me in Connecticut on my motorcycle it was only a 5 dollar fee with a police report.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom