Mystery button

kudzu

Hunting a mid 1800's house site and finding the usual buttons from that time period. Found 2 that seem to have some possible Civil War connection. One is what I believe to be a Confederate I button but the other is a mystery. It is a two piece like an eagle button but only has a shield. Across the top are the letters B.C.P.I. The only match I can find says "Unknown civil war button". Any ideas???

Attachments

• Buttons dry.jpg
    Buttons dry.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 328
  • Buttons wet.jpg
    Buttons wet.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 342
I’ve seen them identified as being from Parris Island Band Corps 1885-1900. I’m not (yet) sure of where that information came from though.

search wreath and shield bcpi and an un-dug image should appear. It is attributed to being Civil War vintage with a Scoville backmark.

no one seems to be able to attribute bcpi to anything. However there are very few of these buttons in existence. Maybe someone with more knowledge might be able to solve this. it has been attributed to the 1850's and 1860's.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island opened in 1915 so it doesn’t look like the “P.I.” Was for Parris Island. I believe the “Cobps” in the description below was a typo and should be “Corps.”

The Emilio Collection of Military Buttons: American, British, French and ...
Page 86, Item 520

520 Band Cobps P. I., 1885-1900; 2 piece; convex; gilt; 15. In the center of lined background, a barred shield; above, the letters "B. C. P. I."; below, a semi-circular wreath enclosing the shield. Reverse: "Scovill Mfg. Co."

https://books.google.com/books?id=L...AkQAQ#v=onepage&q=scovill bcpi button&f=false

Since not much information can be found...maybe it was some short-lived Institute for military training or some other kind of school that just wasn't around long for whatever reason?

Bingo !!

Got the ID on this button. Philippine Islands Band Corp, listed in Albert's button book as a PI 4 page 272. Philippine Islands was ceded to the U.S. in exchange for payment of $20 million dollars. Nice find as is the block I. HH Jerry

Wow!!! I never would have guessed that in a million guesses. You guys are a really impressive wealth of knowledge.
Now if that button could only talk and tell me how in the world in ended up in the middle of nowhere Virginia.
Thanks again!!!!

The timeline looks to be 1898 to 1946. With Virginia having so much military presence, I can see it being brought home after the war.

Attachments

• 4F903C74-AB5B-4791-ACC1-4738272CF632.jpeg
    4F903C74-AB5B-4791-ACC1-4738272CF632.jpeg
    20.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Wow so now the mystery continues..... The 1898 to 1946 timeline looks off too since according to my maps this house was gone by 1894. All the coins date in the range from 1850 to 1870. Sure hope someone has access to see this article and can shed some more light on this.

Confederate I button.

Hunting a mid 1800's house site and finding the usual buttons from that time period. Found 2 that seem to have some possible Civil War connection. One is what I believe to be a Confederate I button but the other is a mystery. It is a two piece like an eagle button but only has a shield. Across the top are the letters B.C.P.I. The only match I can find says "Unknown civil war button". Any ideas???

That certainly looks like a Confederate I button - no backmark?

Back
Top Bottom