Mysteries: a Seated and a Token

No arrows either side of the date rules out 1873 and 1874.

My hunch is that someone wanted to alter the date for whatever reason. Something I can’t put my finger on looks a bit off, I can’t see it properly on my phone anyway. Have you weighed it? (should be 6.22-6.25 grams, take into account the missing material) Should be 24.3mm in diameter, regardless of date.

Now I can have a better look at the enlarged date area there is no doubt in my mind that this is an attempt to alter the date, albeit a very clumsy one.

As @Martin_V3i mentioned, the blob on the bottom of the 7, well that's the little sliver that's missing from the edge.

I can't tell from the photo of the whole coin but is there any marks / damage under the tail feathers on the reverse? Where someone might want to add a CC mint mark :)
That could potentially turn a $60 coin into a $10,000 coin.

Interesting to be sure.

Has anyone else besides me noticed the deformity of the 7,,,a glob at the bottom? That coin may have been tricked with in other ways. That's likely why it was scraped like it was.

Martin,
Been wondering about that as well. I just took a very close look at the coin with a 10x jeweler's loup. What looks like a "glob" on the 7 is actually a scrape mark and a burr from that scraping. The leg of the "7", on its right side you can see how some of the metal, that forms the burr, appears to be scraped away. There does not appear to be any 'doctoring' on the reverse where a mint mark would have been

This morning I posted all the photos to a coin collector website specifically focusing on 'Seated Liberty' collectors. If I get any insightful responses, I will post here or link to them.
--Bert

Attachments

• CloseupBottomObverse.jpg
    CloseupBottomObverse.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 74
  • CloseupBottomReverse.jpg
    CloseupBottomReverse.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 73
  • CloseupDate.jpg
    CloseupDate.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Congrats, that is a very nice find! :woot:

I see a 7. It looks identical to the 7 next to it
I can see it clear as day.
110% that is a 1877. Zoom in so your screen only has the 7 &the scratched one. You will see the seven and every where else the scratches go into the coin. Where the seven was, is flush but no scratches go into the coin.

That's what I was thinking it is, as well. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom