• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Equinox lower rod project -- PROTOTYPE ROD SUCCESSFUL (rods will be for sale, soon)!

steveg

Elite Member
Hi all;

As some of you may know, I've been producing lower rods for the CTX 3030 for about 8 months now, selling them through the forums to a number of satisfied customers. Along the way, I've had several inquiries regarding whether I could build Equinox rods. My answer was always "no," as a major stumbling block was that piece that fits onto the "coil end" of the rod, i.e. the piece to which the coil attaches -- the "yoke," or "clevis," as I call it.

Well, with requests for me to build Equinox lower rods so frequent that eventually I couldn't ignore it any longer, I set my mind on working on a design for that clevis/yoke piece. Once I came up with a working design idea, I submitted engineering drawings of my design to the machining/fabrication company that supplies my CTX rod parts, and asked if they could build me a prototype. Meanwhile, I ordered a carbon-fiber tube from my tube supplier, in the precise diameter to fit inside the Minelab Equinox middle rod, and also some washers specific to my yoke/clevis design. The tube and washers arrived recently, and just today, the yoke/clevis was delivered. I'm pleased to say that it turned out perfectly! All the dimensions are correct/exacting, and I "test fit" the parts with success -- please see the pictures below. The only parts I'm still waiting on are the push-button "spring clip" for the upper end of the rod, and a specialized drill bit for drilling the hole for the spring clip. Those will be here soon -- and at that point my "proof-of-concept" prototype rod will be ready for me to use!

MEANWHILE, given the successful prototype, I am ordering parts tomorrow to make a first batch of 20 Equinox lower rods. As I said above, these rods are designed to fit seamlessly into the Minelab EQX middle rod -- exactly as the Minelab stock lower rod does. I plan to build them the same length as the Minelab lower rod as "standard practice," but can also build them to whatever length desired. but will know for sure once I place that first "bulk" order of carbon fiber tubes and yoke/clevis pieces.

If you have any interest one of these lower rods, please let me know, and I'll be sure to have one available for you.

THANKS!

Steve

EQX4small.jpg

EQX3small.jpg

EQXend2small.jpg

EQXandcoil3small.jpg

EQXandcoil4small.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all, just an update...

While there has been a bit of delay receiving all the necessary parts, I expect at this point about 10 days, until the EQX lower rods are available for sale.

Thanks for your patience!

Steve

Rod assembly to begin tuesday!

Hi all; just wanted to update that I received the carbon-fiber tubes this past Wednesday, and tracking information shows the remainder of the parts en-route, and scheduled for delivery this coming Monday. Therefore, I expect to begin assembly of rods by Tuesday, Oct. 16!

When the tubes arrived Wednesday, I was able to complete assembly of the "prototype" rod, and it is now attached to my 6" coil! (See pictures below).

If you are interested in one or more of these rods, please reply to this thread, or send me a PM, and I'll add you to the pre-order list; I expect to make a "for sale" post in the "FS Accessories" classified forum by the end of next week.

Also please note that design continues on the "complete shaft system," and is nearing completion. I hope to have a prototype assembled soon, and then will have them available for sale as well. Of course, the complete shaft system will utilize this lower rod, attached to a one-piece upper shaft. More details later!

Thanks everyone for your interest and support!

Steve

coil-endclose-up1-small.jpg

lowerrodandcoil-camlock-downwardsmall.jpg

coilendclose-upfrombottom-small.jpg

coilendclose-upfromtopsmall.jpg

rodinstalledclose-upsmall.jpg

rodinstalled-frombottom-small.jpg

springbuttonclipsmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick update for those who are interested and have waited patiently -- I can gladly affirm that the long-awaited parts shipment did indeed arrive this morning! Assembly will begin this evening...

Thanks!

Steve

A quick update for those who are interested and have waited patiently -- I can gladly affirm that the long-awaited parts shipment did indeed arrive this morning! Assembly will begin this evening...

Thanks!

Steve

Put me on the list Steve. If it is anywhere near as good as your CTX rods then you've got a winner there!

What are the main benefit(s) to these custom rods besides looking cool as hell ?
Stronger, lighter than factory?

choppadude -- will do! You are on the list!

pballwiz -- YES, it is lighter (about 25% lighter than the stock rod); also, while available in any custom length anyone might desire, my "standard length" rod will be roughly 2 inches longer than Minelab's stock rod (which should help a bit with "stability"). As for strength, carbon fiber is indeed an extremely strong material, but I have not done any specific comparisons in terms of "strength," between it and the Minelab stock rod, so I can't say for sure if it provides additional strength. (And yes, I think the aesthetics of carbon fiber are more appealing than the stock lower rod, LOL!)

I think the greatest benefit to be had, though, exists for EQX users who have purchased, or will purchase, one or both accessory coils. An extra lower rod allows the "spare" coil to remain attached to its own lower rod, allowing for faster/easier swapping of coils "in the field."

One final note, is that this lower rod will eventually be able to be used as the "other piece" of a "complete shaft system" that I currently have in the pipeline (which is in the final engineering/design phase right now). The complete shaft system will be comprised of two parts -- a one-piece carbon-fiber "upper" shaft (a combination middle/upper rod, with respect to Minelab's stock shaft system), and then the second piece being the lower rod being presented here. So, while the lower rod will be useful in serving in an "extra lower rod role" for some, others may choose to eventually utilize it in conjunction with the purchase of my forthcoming "upper shaft" -- thus allowing complete conversion of their Equinox stock shaft system into a strong, high-quality, wobble-free, lightweight carbon-fiber alternative.

Hope that helps to answer your question, pballwiz, and thanks for your interest!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom