Unexpected Silver

Call Me V

This week has been crazy between dance practice (dance team drama :( ), homecoming games, homecoming, and the cold and rain, so we haven't been able to get out much. Actually none at all. However, we had a little free time yesterday morning so we went out to hit our favorite field. We're almost done searching it. We each take a five yard strip from side to side on the old football field and can cover most of it in two passes and about an hour of searching, depending on how much we dig.

We mostly pull out a lot of clad, we've dug a few rings, parts of musical instruments (a marching band practices there), keys, pencil erasers, and all the stuff you'd expect on a school field.

But yesterday I pulled my second ever silver coin out of the ground while searching the field. It was unexpected since the field was built in the late 60's/early 70's, and we've never found anything old there. I dug a 1954 Roosevelt dime from only about 2" down. Every dime I've pulled out of that field has been brown, so I knew right away that this was was different.

That's two silver coins for me now! Can't wait to find something older. I read about all the mercury and barber coins being found... I want to be one of those finders ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 164
You are doing Great! Thanks for keeping us posted about your hunting success and life in general way up in the Montana...! Its always a satisfying event for us old guys to read of a young persons outings...It allows us to experience the thrill of youth all over again!!

Congrats on the silver:yes:. As stated, there is most likely more silver there to be found. You have to realize that with that being built in the late 60s-early 70s, there weren’t debit cards so most people carried cash/change. Also there was more silver still in circulation then. I have a couple schools I hunt; one was built in the early-mid 70s, the other in the mid-late 80s. There is a big difference in what I pull out of each which is what I would expect anyway. Congrats again and Happy Hunting!

Back
Top Bottom