• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Brushing up for deer season with my crossbow

Another round of Ravin R20 crossbow bolts fired at 80 yards.
Scope mag at 4x.
That is a 3”target dot.

cqqsw.jpg

rwl1cx.jpg

This bow when set up right is insanely accurate.
I didn’t realize until today, even through it has been shooting well, or so I thought.

Here’s a pic of 3bolts shot at a 3”target dot at a lasered 100yards.
These bolts are not custom bolts btw.
Ravin R20 sniper used, Jackplate dialed to 100 yards.
Impressive results to me.
Loving this bow.
Ever so slight head wind when fired.
The bolt that appears to be the bottom bolt, was fired actually after it had started raining, this may be why it looks so funny angle wise in the target. I was surprised to see it actually get that close to the other 2bolts that were fired before the rain. No a sprinkling rain either, but not pouring.
Btw I did a little tuning with this bow yesterday.
Manufacturer don’t really tell folks how to set up to get peak performance.
I have been talking with gent with engineering background, he and I have exchanged comments and thoughts. He and I are both in agreement, on how to set up one of these bows.
Anyone who has a Ravin and wants info. Send me a pm and I will give you my thought s on how to squeeze the Ravin for all it has to offer.
Not crosovolt bolt related rather just the bow itself.
2el8cyc.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shooting; keep it up! I'll be in prayer that all of that practicing pays off this deer season! Fresh venison... yum! :D

I stopped shooting at the same bullseye after I tail-piped two different arrows in the same grouping. This was with my trusty Hoyt CRX35 named "Vera" (Those of you who are "Firefly" fans will understand the reference).

Season opens here in 19 days.
Thought I would pull the Ravin R20 out and have a go with it at 80 yards.
Shot it one time.
Slight breeze blowing.
After I saw where I hit, I put the bow back in the house.

It is ready for action.
ier1qg.jpg

I stopped shooting at the same bullseye after I tail-piped two different arrows in the same grouping. This was with my trusty Hoyt CRX35 named "Vera" (Those of you who are "Firefly" fans will understand the reference).

Hey my last was the CRX32, loved that thing, unfortunately between my shoulders, property access, and work load, this isn't much of an option for me.

We call them "Robin Hood's" , while they make you smile for a brief second, and one or two are great to hang on a mounted antlers.

Usually at league, that accompanies a yell from accross the room. "SOMEONE'S WRECKING SOME EQUIPMENT!!!"

I plan on using a 2 blade Rage hypodermic.
I used them a bit last year and like them using a Ravin R9 bow.
I use the two blade Rage also. I wasn't able to deer hunt last year or turkey hunt this year due to neck & shoulder pain. I hope to hunt this fall.. fingers crossed

Crossbows are so much louder than a compound though. Even if you can put those bolts on the X at 80+ yards, i'd never want to shoot that distance.

My own goal for bow hunting is to get as close as possible without the deer knowing i"m there - but to each their own.

Take your cell phone out and mount it to the target when you shoot your xbow and see how loud it is. My neighbor has a 10-point because he has a bum shoulder and while it doens't sound too bad when he shoots - when you are down range of it - it is LOUD.

I would be concerned that deer would be jumping the string so much more frequently than they do a compound.

having said all that - great shooting - you're killing it.

Here are some pics of Ravin R20 fired at a lasered 110 yards.
Bow supported only on front with rest, the back of the bow I am holding. Shot off of truck hood while in front fork of limbsaver smart test. From standing position.
Scope used hawke 1.5x6sr power with speed set to around 435. Magnification used to shoot approximately 5.5x. This bow scope is in actual hunt zero configuration. Meaning I was using bottom sight post with no cross to shoot these targets.
Center serving worn pretty good, still shooting pretty good though.

That’s a 2 inch targrt dot. Wind blowing a little when this group was shot.
1412h38.jpg

Little to no wind here, 110 yards. Four bolt group.
2v33luh.jpg

Little to no wind here.
2eb7qr5.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom