Vaquero and Compadre...First outing/ Silver

deezdrama

After much frustration in my trash laden backyard I decided to go to a local park thats under heavy construction. Detecting is banned in Illinois parks but figured ......what could they say if I just stuck to areas where heavy bulldozing has been going on :yes:

Grabbed my Tesoro Vaquero, my boy and his Compadre, our gp-pointers and the rest of our gear and headed to the park.
After reading a billion articles and videos and reading the "vaquero and tejon mastering book" I feel I got ground balancing and machine setting down pretty well.

Dug up a bunch of old pull tabs and can slaw so decided to bump my disc up a little past tab. Started hitting coins left and right. A clad quarter, several dimes and penies, then dug up my first silver! A 64 roosie.... Nothing spectacular but it sure felt nice digging down 5" to see a high luster rim shinning back at me. Amazing how shiny it was after all these decades in the dirt! By that time me and the boy were excited and lost track of time.

He pulled up some pennies and a garcia pizza token, I found some keys and a loose hollowpoint bullet. Found a big heavy metal disc I have no clue what it is.
Then we headed to the tot lot, by then it was getting dark so only had time to pull up a couple pennies before it was too dark to see.

We ended up being there 3-4 hours and wanted to go again today but was raining.
The cheap gp-pointers worked well about 3/4 of the time. The rest of the time they seemed too sensitive or balance was off and they would beep as soon as they were near the soil. I tried to turn off and back on while it was in the soil to try and see if it would ground balance them.... sometimes it seemed to help, other times it didnt. I think a garrett at pointer will be in my arsenal soon.

Cant wait to go again and find some more silver, gold rings, or old coins.

BTW.... what do you guys do with all your trash you dig? Just toss it or collect in buckets for a reminder of what youve dug lol ?

Attachments

• 20171021_1752402.jpg
    20171021_1752402.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20171021_1752532.jpg
    20171021_1752532.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 20171021_1900262.jpg
    20171021_1900262.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Congrats on the first of hopefully many silvers. And that's awesome that your son spent some time with you as well!

Back
Top Bottom