auto repair, what would you do?

yeah you really have to pay attention to details on this type of motor work. Sounds like you did it right though. A lot of people ignore the waterpump and then have to go back on a year or two later to change it.
Is your can chain tensioner spring loaded or oil pressure driven?

Hope you get many more miles on the vehicle.

They're oil driven. I got to hear the "pop" when I cranked the engine up for the first time and the oil pressure loaded them back up.

I get to open it back up again though - p0011. I was positive the marks didn't look quite right, I was off by ONE tooth on the intake cam! At least this time I can fly through the tear down, I bought a cheapo Campbell Haus. 3/8 ratchet.

Last time I bought tires, I had a real interesting experience. I bought a '94 Ford Ranger, the P.O.S. edition, of course. But, was in desperate need of a replacement vehicle. Wasn't much tread left on the tires, but not bad on dry pavement, so drove it for a while, until I picked up a drywall screw. Figured it was time to get those tires. Would have gone with used, but they were of an unfortunate size, and after trying a few places, decided new was my only choice. Had to call around, just to find a place that had a set in stock, Pep Boys...

When it comes to tires, I've learned a lesson. Don't bring the vehicle, just the wheels and tires. Then they can't say "they won't fit" "you need this first" etc etc.. ..I like small shops more for just about everything, but especially tires and wheels. New tires are in my distant future, and I'm already planning - hoping to pay for them, or at least in part, with metal detecting finds.

I do all my own work, new heads t belt and all on my wifes outback. Then again that's what I always loved since Iwas about 14..and was a mechanic before I got my cdl
And when in doubt I ask, but I have a "if a man built it, a man can fix it" mentallity and will often go into a job with no prior experience to that exact job, but between google and youtube, who needs to pay a mechanic?

Also I replace what I remove if recommended.. if I just put the waterpump a month priot.. id reuse if not get a new one. Nissan timing chains are always noisy, had a 200sx that I turboed, and beat the snot out of... t chain would slap lightly since I bought it... pos lasted 4 years lol til it spun a bearing

Just as a reference for next time (if there is one). Sometimes you can find a garage mechanic that is looking for a few extra $ by working out of his own garage on weekends and pay well below what the garage would charge. Throwing in a thirty pack iSight help too. Lol

Back
Top Bottom