Can anyone beat my internet speed?

Good old Verizon.

Called them today (since I found out I can't get ATT DSL here), and talked to them about my "problems". I guess I don't have to mention the speed issue being one of them, but my 5GB Data Limit being ate-up in no time.

This month Billing Cycle started on the 4th, and I've already used 60%. Verizon Rep says it's because everything these days is High Definition, and uses more data.

My existing Air Card is 3G (purchased in 2010), which he claimed was part of the problem. So here's what we did:

Getting new "Jet Pack" (4G Hotspot) = $99.99, with $50 mail-in Rebate.

Upped my Data to 10GB for an additional $20/ mo (I'm currently paying $60 for this fine service :shock::laughing:), so monthly will now be $80.

Got all done, and shortly after received an email showing what I'll be Billed for. What they failed to mention, yet added to the Bill, was a $40 "Upgrade Fee".

I asked them if this was a mistake, or if they seriously expected me to pay for something I wasn't even told about, and did they really think I'm going to pay them to have the special privilege of giving them even more money.

I've yet to hear back, and am probably going to tell them to cancel the order, and I'll start shopping for Satellite Internet. These days it sure seems like you can't turn around where someone isn't trying to stick a hand in your wallet.

When I 1st started this (my current) service, they tried charging me for texts (sent to my air card) :lol: When I told they why should I pay for texts I can't even get, and don't even want? That's when they told me they could block all texts for a mere $5/month :laughing:

I told them I was neither paying for texts, nor their fee to block them, and they were welcome to shut my service off immediately. As far as I knew, Verizon was the one sending them :D They decided to waive the fee, and have gotten 8 years at $60/month, never once late.

Times sure have changed.......

I'm sure I would loose...

But I'll race against anyone at...

Who can get out of the water, especially after falling through ice... People experienced with sharks are disqualified, pucker factor with teeth and all, gives you a greater advantage...

Does that count for anything?

<°)))>{

I'm on 4g lte soley and it's decent but work pays the bill for now....

Attachments

• IMG_3089.jpg
    IMG_3089.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 316
My cable internet is supposed to be 12 MB download and I think 2 or 2.5 MB upload.

Now you usually won't see 100% of the download speed you're supposed to get but it should be reasonably close.

I just checked mine and it is 11.92 MB download and 2.18 upload

We could get much higher speed if we paid for it but the 12 MB seems to be very adequate.

Your .30 download is a lot less than what you should be getting.

Now most internet companies that have plans with a monthly data cap will greatly reduce your speed for the remainder of the month if you reach your data cap before the end of the month.

If you have not reached your data cap and the speed is .30 MB download then something is not right, I would call their tech support (many will have 24hr tech support) and make sure they have things set up correctly on their end for you to get the speed you are paying for.

If their end is okay then maybe the settings on your end need adjusted.

Not sure if this is the correct page for the set up you have -

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/aircard-595u-usb-modem/

also you can search the Verizon to find others who have/had the same problem and if they found a solution -

https://community.verizonwireless.com/search.jspa?q=very+slow+speed

Bottom line: .30 MB is not right if you're still under your data cap !

GKL- I have a 760 (I think) air card, but they no longer make it. It has a jack for an external antenna, to which is connected to a Wilson Trucker antenna.

I can't go back to Verizon site, it won't even load. I have no cap, I just pay extra for anything over 5GB. I was told today if I ran-over by 1GB, it would cost me an additional $51. Needless to say the $20/mo was a no-brainer for an additional 5GB.

They did however just email me with Tracking Numbers :lol:

I replied telling them someone should really answer my first email before shipping anything, otherwise they'll be paying to get it back, because I'm not paying for it.

I remember my first internet connection and having to put rubber bands on the phone handset and the phone modem (<800 baud). If you accidentally bumped the handset, you'd lose the connection. If you lost the connection, you could expect 30 minutes just to get the connection back. It would take hours to load a game. Each level would take an hour to load. DOS games were awesome

1980's stationed in England

your speeds are blazing compared to that.

looked similar to this, imagine putting the handset on that and accidentally bumping the desk without a rubber band

9c6984f7d37dd45a7f679377b0d67e20--nai-the-s.jpg

I remember my first internet connection and having to put rubber bands on the phone handset and the phone modem (<800 baud). If you accidentally bumped the handset, you'd lose the connection. If you lost the connection, you could expect 30 minutes just to get the connection back. It would take hours to load a game. Each level would take an hour to load. DOS games were awesome

1980's stationed in England

your speeds are blazing compared to that.

looked similar to this, imagine putting the handset on that and accidentally bumping the desk without a rubber band

9c6984f7d37dd45a7f679377b0d67e20--nai-the-s.jpg

That is cra cra man!

I'm old enough to remember 14.4...

GKL- I have a 760 (I think) air card, but they no longer make it. It has a jack for an external antenna, to which is connected to a Wilson Trucker antenna.

I can't go back to Verizon site, it won't even load. I have no cap, I just pay extra for anything over 5GB. I was told today if I ran-over by 1GB, it would cost me an additional $51. Needless to say the $20/mo was a no-brainer for an additional 5GB.

I replied telling them someone should really answer my first email before shipping anything, otherwise they'll be paying to get it back, because I'm not paying for it.

Okay, many companies that have data cap plans had switched from charging extra when you went over to simply greatly reducing your speed and no extra charge, but obviously yours didn't.

If the link below is the correct support page for your "760" maybe it can be of help in finding out why you're not getting the speed you should, it might be as simple as changing some setting, but I'm not familiar with air cards or your set up myself.

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/usb-760/

Do you think it has been this slow for a long time or could it have started when you got your new laptop, if so maybe a setting on the laptop needs adjusted, just making guesses, hopefully that web page or Verizon tech support can give you a definite solution.

I'm not sure but it might be Chromebook is not fully compatible with the USB760 Modem technology.

Check out this thread on the Verizon community forum -

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1513181#1513181

part of what is at the above link -

Will Chromebooks have LTE Support?

For a device to work with us it would need to be compatible with our network like Ann154 suggested. You can find more information on our bring your own device program here https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/activate-your-own-device/

Also, on the page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/usb-760/
you'll see this and when you try the troubleshooter and it gets to the point where it asks you what operating system you use it doesn't list Chrome

ver1.jpg

ver2.jpg

GKL- I've had zero complaints with my internet service over the past 8 years (since setting it up), until 2-3 months ago when I noticed it was extremely slow. This new Chromebook is working (speed-wise) the same as my old laptop did as far as I can tell.

FFX2-I had a Straight Talk phone with the $45-50/mo "unlimited" plan, but I never used the internet, at least not enough to justify having it on a phone, so I switched to unlimited talk/text with Total Wireless for $25/month.

Knowing what I know not, I should have looked into a phone plan I could tether my ChromeBook to, if that's even a possibility. Even if I was on a plan where they throttled-back my data speed, I think it would have to be faster than what I have right now :lol:

GKL- I've had zero complaints with my internet service over the past 8 years (since setting it up), until 2-3 months ago when I noticed it was extremely slow. This new Chromebook is working (speed-wise) the same as my old laptop did as far as I can tell.

FFX2-I had a Straight Talk phone with the $45-50/mo "unlimited" plan, but I never used the internet, at least not enough to justify having it on a phone, so I switched to unlimited talk/text with Total Wireless for $25/month.

Knowing what I know not, I should have looked into a phone plan I could tether my ChromeBook to, if that's even a possibility. Even if I was on a plan where they throttled-back my data speed, I think it would have to be faster than what I have right now :lol:

I would be talking to Verizon tech support and letting them know your internet speed has been extremely slow for all that time, if the problem is on their end you deserve to get some amount of credit on your bill and they need to fix it and get your speed back up to normal, if it is something on your end they should have ideas of what you can do to try to fix it on your end.

Back
Top Bottom