Garrett Carrot Issue

randy

Forum Supporter
Just got a new Garrett carrot, and the good news is that it has more range in default mode than my old Garrett, the bad news is that sometimes in seems to randomly go into detune mode, and have no range.

Sometimes it is like that when you turn it on, sometimes I hear the target fine, set the PP aside, work down more to the target again, check with the PP, and silence. It entered detune mode while just sitting there.

Switch it off, then back on, and the problem clears up, until it randomly comes back. Quite annoying.

I've been careful to not accidently hit the switch to detune, and have confirmed this behavior with air tests. Turn it on, sometimes normal range, sometimes an 8th of an inch range.

Anyone else seeing this? I'll call Garrett tomorrow, but just curious if this is a known issue. It is quite annoying to have to keep turning the PP off and on.

After shipping the thing off to Garrett, and waiting a considerable amount of time (I got the thing back yesterday), it came back with less range and the exact same problem.

I am very disappointed in Garrett, and will try the Whites. I would like a pinpointer that works properly, imagine that.

I had been using Garrett pinpointers for a very long time, but if the Whites actually works as advertised, Garrett has lost a customer.

You'd think they would test it before sending it back. Shame on them.

I would nag Garretts about this. Make a phone call, ask for a manager. Garrett will get this fixed! Besides, you can't trash a new pointer.

I have always kept a backup pinpointer, just in case. It is disturbing that Garrett returned yours, with the same conditions. A call to a manager will get it fixed right, and quickly.

I am partial to Garretts. Visiting the factory here in Texas is always fun.

About the detuning. I have always made it a practice to power down the pointer when I lay it down for more digging. There is an expected amount of re-tuning always happening when the pointer is left on. I read folks saying theirs drifts and they say they use it by leaving it on a lot.

Question came to mind. What happens if you just tap the power button in mid air, once it has de-tuned?

My pin pointer is only on when using. Off when not. I have not experienced this with my carrot

This issue has nothing to do with leaving it on. I cut a plug, pull out my pinpointer, turn it on, no target. Then I hold it against my digger to see if it is this problem, and if it does not detect my digger unless right up against it, I turn it off and on until it does, then recover the target. Very annoying.

I will make a video of the problem; it is fairly easy to reproduce.

I also suspect that they did not fix my PP or give me a new one, they simply dipped my old one in some sort of solvent to clean it off and sent it back, as there is a hint of dirt stain on the tip.

Given the length of time they had it (nearly a month), I feel jerked around by this. Nothing wrong with trying a competitor to see if they have a better product or better service.

I do have a backup PP, I've had three of the green Garrett PPs and all have worked fine until they just wore out basically. I'm using my old green Garrett PP for now, which has a bad switch, but at least it detects metal.

It is also fairly easy to compare them side by side to demonstrate this problem as well. Perhaps I will put that in the video as well.

I don't want to deal with a manager. They had their chance. If Whites or someone else has a better product, so be it. If not, I'm stuck with a $127 paperweight and will use the old one with the bad switch.

This issue has nothing to do with leaving it on. I cut a plug, pull out my pinpointer, turn it on, no target. Then I hold it against my digger to see if it is this problem, and if it does not detect my digger unless right up against it, I turn it off and on until it does, then recover the target. Very annoying.
QUOTE]

Mine only does this when I turn it on too close to a piece of metal. sorry to hear your troubles

I can't believe Garrett won't make this right. I would spill my feelings-they have several times made my patience worth while. I know waiting can be a pain. Also, check out the Tekpointer if all fails-more depth and adjustable settings.

In all fairness to Garrett I have not called them back. I have an injury that prevents me from metal detecting now.

I also am not handy with making videos, and even tho that is not hard with today's devices, it still has to be done and learned. The first discussion was more or less a denial or misunderstanding of the problem, but send it in anyway, and even tho I thought my letter was clear, a video would be clearer.

It is easy to just call Garrett, ask for a quality assurance guy, explain the event after you sending it in, with the same condition when you got it back.

It is your $127 already spent. It is your choice to not ask for management. I wouldn't waste $127! Personal pride doesn't have much of a place here, without poking at Garrett again.

A QA manager always handed my pointers back to me, personally, when I went directly to the factory. Garrett is serious about quality, or at least they were with me. That was several years ago.

I would like one of you fellas to help me out too. I have never used a PP. I got my GPP-AT yesterday and looking at the start up procedures if that's what you want to call it. Under NOTES: It says that Lower sensitivity settings are recommended to prevent detection of highly mineralized grounds. The paperwork said it would come with a battery but it didn't. No biggie here. First off, I'll be doing my beginner work on beaches here near Galveston,Texas and not some backyard or park. It would seem to me that the GPP would be in some mode once it is turned on. What mode, I don't know!
"For a fast Retune for Highly mineralized ground (i.e. the beach ), hold the tip of the PP to the water,sand or soil and quick press the button for an instant Retune.

I got to ask. Can Someone walk me thru the procedure for use on beaches for now please? I'll learn how to use this thing eventually, but for now....Help!!

Back
Top Bottom