Newbie here understanding

scott1028

Newbie here need help understanding I have a harbor freight 9 function im just beginning ive only been at this since the last week of July
It seems my area is high in iron junk an high in mineralized soil
I am in a civil war revolution area however I'm not finding nothing prior to 1940s my house is only 1932 could this be why or has it been hunted out an I'm wasting my time
Or are there better settings I could use

Welcome to the forum.
Your 1932 house could have had a bunch of 1932 fill dirt brought in or a bunch of grading and people have been changing the landscape for almost a 100 years. A lot depends on what the property was used for before 1932. Nothing is ever hunted out if you are finding 1940 items especially coins there is a good chance you are the first detectorist to be there, but you are still wasting your time, waving a stick at the ground looking for change. There are worse ways to waste time, you could be playing golf.

Try a hunt with the sensitivity about 3/4 up and set a nickle on the ground in a fairly clean area and turn up the disc until the nickle no longer signals. That should help disc out some iron. Try the same thing with a pre 1982 copper penny but set the disc where it barely picks up the penny and that might help disc out some trash but still leave coin signals. Try all the same but with sens about 1/2 until you figure out what works best for your dirt. Good Luck and Happy Hunting

Scott, please take this in the way that I mean it. If you really think you're digging (pun intended) this sport, I would recommend you save your dollars and buy a better machine. I'm not knocking your machine, but there are definitely better machines out there at very reasonable prices. The new Simplex looks very interesting. Maybe look at a good used machine. Just don't want you to get frustrated and quit because of your detector. Good luck.

Chillforlife nailed it Scott. If you can scrape together $300 or so you can buy an upper entry level detector new, or a mid level used detector easily. You will also need a good quality hand held pinpointer if you don't have one already. The new Simplex by Nokta Makro looks really good. A Makro Racer 2, Fisher F44, Teknetics Patriot, Fisher F40, Fisher F19, Teknetics G2+, Garret AT Pro or a Minelab Xterra 505 or 705 along with the Whites MXT, MX5, MX7 or Matrix M6 can all be purchased on #*$% or the for sale section of this forum and other detecting forums for around $300 if you shop carefully. Let us know how much money you have and where you will be detecting.

Jeff

Just a comment from a first year newbie on expectations. I've been really surprised by how much metallic trash is in the ground everywhere. I'm still new and trying to figure out what to dig but I have a 5 gallon bucket in my garage that is now almost full of metallic trash I've dug this year. If you watch YouTube videos such as the Hoover Boys on their wrap-up they will show the huge amount of trash they dig for a small number of good finds. So keep in mind that you will dig a lot of trash looking for those good finds.

And I do agree with others that if you are into the hobby step up to a better machine. I picked up a used Fisher F-75 out of the classified section here on the forum for a great price early in the summer so along with great deals from forum sponsors check out the classified section.

yep, you will be MUCH happier with a upper entry level machine. fisher, tesoro, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom