Nox 600 settings question

JOFO17

I usually dig farm fields and keep my machine on field 2, recovery speed 2, iron bias 3, sensitivity 20, 5 tones. I was just offered to detect an old house in town that is about 300 years old but I suspect may have quite a bit of trash. The place has been in constant use the entire time and I'm sure there are nails, pull tabs, and bottle caps galore. I am familiar with the set up I use, but would park 1 or 2 be a better option? If anyone has detected in a trashy yard like this I would love to hear what settings you have used.:?: Since I have a few acres to search, I am thinking about blocking out everything up to 17 except 12&13 and see how it goes.

Hopefully Calabash and some other experts will chime in soon. Since you are already familiar with Field 2 (Park 2 is very similar) you could set it up anyway you like or just leave it alone. You could set up a nickel/lead/gold ring and high conductor US coins/silver notched program in Park 1 or Field 1 since they are similar too.

Iron nails and old iron bigger than coin sized can break through discrimination settings and sound off anywhere on the numerical and audio target ID range depending on depth and size. So you have some choices. The 600 allows you to turn iron volume way down so you can barely hear it and you can even change its pitch and the numerical range for the first tone break. So you could hunt with Field 2 wide open, no discrimination and just audibly deal with the iron while having a notched Field 1 or Park 1 when you need a break from the iron tone barrage. Or you could also add a little background threshold tone that will go silent over discriminated targets and hunt with your normal settings that you are used too and if you hear the threshold tone nulling (going silent momentarily) around what sounds like a good target, hit the horseshoe button and check for iron. Of course, you could use your regular settings with no threshold or iron volume adjustments and then expect to dig a lot of iron that shows up as non-ferrous or you could check every target with the horseshoe button before digging.

Jeff

Well I went to the spot mentioned above and it was WORSE then I expected. It was so trashy that I could not find a spot without any metal to do a ground balance within 50' of the old walls. Not as many pull tabs as I expected but mason jar lids and old pieces of aluminum siding made up for it. I had to ignore any iron signals that came along with the good ones because there were that many nails. It was basically dig anything 17 or above. This is so different then digging a field.

Well I went to the spot mentioned above and it was WORSE then I expected. It was so trashy that I could not find a spot without any metal to do a ground balance within 50' of the old walls. Not as many pull tabs as I expected but mason jar lids and old pieces of aluminum siding made up for it. I had to ignore any iron signals that came along with the good ones because there were that many nails. It was basically dig anything 17 or above. This is so different then digging a field.

I do not hunt very many residential homes. Mainly farm fields where old houses or small towns used to exist. These areas are loaded with lots of nails.

Rather I use field 2 or park 2 this is how I setup my detector. The target ID on T1 I run it up to 9, and the volume on T1 at zero. That way nothing is notched out or discriminated out and I do not hear their tones.

I would not pass up 10 through 17. I have found some really cool buttons that ring in at 10 and above and even a small 10k gold ring that came in at an 11.

I have found this to work well for me good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_20191122_123404.jpg
    IMG_20191122_123404.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_20191122_123345.jpg
    IMG_20191122_123345.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 529
Back
Top Bottom