mxt/14" excelerator

gypsy

hello everyone, I have a mxt w/ an 8" excelerator coil and a stock 950, I put the stock coil in the closet when I got the 8" excelerator...the 8" is a very nice improvement for my machine. Question is..has anyone had any experience with a 14" excelerator on an mxt on salt water beaches?? and what were the results?? I live in NC and have access to the coast within 45 minutes, I don't want to buy another machine right now, I have used mine with no problems and no strong mineralization noises I'd just like a bigger coil to cover more ground in that situation..thanks

Gypsy

My MXT hated the wet sand so I wouldn't hunt with it there but it was great in the dry sand.

When I had my MXT it came with a 14" Excelerator coil. The mineralization where I live is high in iron and this coil did not do well at all. I never used it on salt water beaches but like Craig said the MXT is not known to do well in wet sand. In my opinion it was very prone to EMI and overall was just too heavy. I would consider looking at the new 12" coil or 14" Deepscan DD from Whites.

Thanks for the reply, I got into this hobby about a year ago, and got a very good deal on my machine. Probably 75% land & 25% beach use as it is so far, although, I guess for the time being I need to get the best of both situations out of the mxt until I can find myself a "water detector" that is in my budget and that I like. One of the phone operators at Kelly Co suggested the 14" DD coil that they sell, and that it was a great addition to the mxt. But if you have already tried it and know how it reacts to the "salt environment" then, there is no reason for me to go to that big of a coil at this time, with this machine, or...would a whites coil in a respective size satisfy me enough to get by for another year or so??? and...like I was saying I used my machine with the stock 950 coil on our local beaches and the noise factor was almost nothing, from the white sand all the way down to ankle deep water??? tell me what you think?? were these just unique days or is this machine a little "different" than the rest?? thanks gypsy

I personally have never used the MXT in the wet salt environment but have heard from other fellow users that it is extremely noisey in the salt. If you can use yours near the water without any problems that is great. It must be ground balancing well enough to cancel out the salt mineralization. As far as coils are concerned I don't know how the 14" Excelerator would do in that situation. The only thing I can tell you is that I was not impressed with the coil for my ground conditions. Sometimes you have to just buy and try different coils to find out what works best.

I too have the 8" and have found it an excellent coil. I got a 6x10 from Whites for a story I wrote about a ring I found with the 8". I used the 6x10 on the wet sand in Texas this winter. I seemed to have no trouble finding targets. I also have the 5" excelerator and it is great. I haven't heard alot of good comments about the 14". As I remember Monte didn't give it good reviews and he likes excelerators. Rob

Well then, how about a Whites Eclipse Deep Scan DD 1400?? Whites says the DD 1400 reduces 75% of ground mineralization for improved depth in "hard to hunt ground" whatcha think??? thanks gypsy

Back
Top Bottom