Parking meters

Kraemer

I bet there’s more than one kid feeding the parking meters around the city buildings and courthouses with their parents coin collections. A few late night spins with a harbor freight pipe cutter and that meters had. Topless meters are kinda obvious so this is a one shot opportunity. Ditch empty meters under a homeless bridge and now you’re got “Crime Stopper” money coming in! Oh well it was just a thought, I’m too old and tired anyway.

parking meters

I bet there’s more than one kid feeding the parking meters around the city buildings and courthouses with their parents coin collections. A few late night spins with a harbor freight pipe cutter and that meters had. Topless meters are kinda obvious so this is a one shot opportunity. Ditch empty meters under a homeless bridge and now you’re got “Crime Stopper” money coming in! Oh well it was just a thought, I’m too old and tired anyway.

Wasn't that how Cool Hand Luke got in trouble .:laughing:

I found a pile of them ditched in the St. Clair river one year. All broken open and smashed. I also found a pay phone one year. We were able to get that cut open and get 2.75¢ in quarters out of it.

Interesting things you find ditched in the water

Salt Lake City has gone to a centralised kiosk style electronic meter with numbers on the old meter poles. All the actual 'penny meters' are in a warehouse, all 2500+ of them. The only coin-meters left are on the university campus, six of them. However, the old locations are still giving up coins, 900+pennies (only 5 wheats, no silver) in a single block last year before it was torn up for a new hotel. As new projects are developed, the grass curbstrips are paved over. Resources like that are rapidly dwindling. I never thought about trying to steal one of them. I' must be getting old, too.

Have a lake here that had a gambling resort on it back in the early 1900’s...had a bunch of one-armed bandits on it that went to the bottom of the lake. Divers salvaged some years ago, full of V-nickels

What you doing Luke? Just shaking the parking meter boss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A few late night spins with a harbor freight pipe cutter and that meters had. Topless meters are kinda obvious so this is a one shot opportunity. Ditch empty meters under a homeless bridge and now you’re got “Crime Stopper” money coming in! Oh well it was just a thought, I’m too old and tired anyway.

A Harbor Freight pipe cutter is only gonna get you maybe one or two before that cutting wheel goes all to hell...May I suggest a cordless Dewalt Sawzall with a Lenox Metal blade?? Still, thats a lot of high risk work for a little clad....Lets think about this a little shall we?

Get or make yourself one of those 'Car Tire Boots' that the Parking Pigs use, Heck, it doesnt even have to be made out of metal! quick fab up one out of plastic like the Larpers! Then get a snappy official looking uniform from the Halloween Store, then simply slap the boot on any car parked legally or not, it doesnt matter, then stand there and charge the driver $50 to take it off or threaten with a tow?

Hell, just hang out around any old street or parking lot and simply move that boot from one car to the next and pull probably $200 cash/hr! I'm liking this idea!

I'm Heading out to Hobby Lobby for some foam/plastic and a hot glue gun and yellow paint! Make myself a dozen realistic looking boots! Then over to the Halloween Store! Maybe I'll fab up a dozen boots and get a dozen uniforms! This idea is franchiseable!:laughing:

I thought you were gonna talk about detecting around parking meters.
Several years ago, I lived a few blocks from a municipal lot that had parking meters mounted in the grassy area, above granite curbs. One day, I noticed a couple of coins lying near the base of a meter, and of course, I scarfed them up.

I thought these may have been dropped by someone trying to feed them into the meter while there was snow on the ground and couldn't pick them up easily because of the snow. Yup. It snows in Massachusetts. Thinking this probably happens a lot in the winter, I went back with my detector and small search coil on a Sunday morning when the parking lot was mostly empty. I recall finding quarters and dimes at the base of almost every parking meter :grin:
Even for meter posts along the street, that may be mounted in concrete or a square of dirt, surrounded by concrete, I usually eyeball the base of these and often see a dropped and unretrieved coin.

And yes, I will still bend over to pick up a penny in the parking lot and I bet you all do too :D

Jim (whose Coinstar silver coin count outnumbered his dirt-fishing silver coins last year :()

Lots of Cool Hand Luke fans on this thread , one of the great movies of all time. :laughing:

Huge Fan of Strother Martin Here! That guy had some of the most memorable lines in small roles as a supporting actor on a wild variety of films! These lines come in handy and are useful even today! "Failure to communicate" on CHL..., as the horse trader on True Grit, "I wouldnt pay that for winged Pegasus!"

Chongs frustrated Father in Up In Smoke is probably my favorite Strother Martin riff of all time and one that I can relate to the best...."Start out picking strawberries and work your way up to bananas" or, "You get a job before sundown, or we are Shipping you off to Military school with the Finkelstein kid!"

Its on youtube, just google 'Chongs Father'..any time I need a laugh I pull up Strother Martin youtube clips!...The guy had perfect timbre and tone and timing...

Mud, You been hanging around in Nashville?

A Harbor Freight pipe cutter is only gonna get you maybe one or two before that cutting wheel goes all to hell...May I suggest a cordless Dewalt Sawzall with a Lenox Metal blade?? Still, thats a lot of high risk work for a little clad....Lets think about this a little shall we?

Get or make yourself one of those 'Car Tire Boots' that the Parking Pigs use, Heck, it doesnt even have to be made out of metal! quick fab up one out of plastic like the Larpers! Then get a snappy official looking uniform from the Halloween Store, then simply slap the boot on any car parked legally or not, it doesnt matter, then stand there and charge the driver $50 to take it off or threaten with a tow?

Hell, just hang out around any old street or parking lot and simply move that boot from one car to the next and pull probably $200 cash/hr! I'm liking this idea.

I'm Heading out to Hobby Lobby for some foam/plastic and a hot glue gun and yellow paint! Make myself a dozen realistic looking boots! Then over to the Halloween Store! Maybe I'll fab up a dozen boots and get a dozen uniforms! This idea is franchiseable!:laughing:

Attachments

• images[4].jpg
    images[4].jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 181
I grew up in Falls Church Virginia. On a 7th grade field trip to the Smithsonian Natrual History museum in DC we were in the precious stone area where Hope Diamond was. Anyway on a pedestal was a huge piece of turquoise or jade (blue rock!) and the guard saw me looking at it and said “If you can pick that up you can have it” I never back down from a challenge so wrapped my arms around it and sure enough got it up a couple inches! I was ready to enlist friends to help me load that sucker in the school bus! Didn’t happen but I bet that guard never made that statement again!

I hope this post was in jest. We have enough problems without getting bad a bad name from something like this. Finding coins around the base of meters should be enough to keep any honest detector happy. I'm old and was brought up in a different time so I can't really say much about what goes on today. Items found in lakes and rivers would be different.

Back
Top Bottom