gti 1500 tips

brrttpaul

hi all havnt been on in a while but got my new machine and found some coins with it plus a gold ring but does anyone have any tips i get some strange readings sometimes with the imaging like it will show a large can size object at 12 inches deep but this isnt always the case i did hear somewhere that if you get an iffy signal if u stamp the ground and then go over it again if its trash it will show as trash (something to do with dislodging the corrosion) also i pinpoint dead centre dig a small hole and sometimes when i try to locate the item its in a diff place by as much as 6 inches any ideas?

Paul on deep items you can't go by the imaging feature to much. As for stomping the ground this is an old trick especially for field or relic hunting. You can stomp or what I do is just scuff the ground above the target with my shoe. This will disturbe the ground enough to give you a better or more accurate reading.
On the pinpointing try this. Once you pinpoint the target to a general area. Move around the target at a another angle and pinpoint again. This will give you a better reading. And your a better pinpointer. ;) Be sure when you push the pinpoint button you have the coil away from the target and then while holding in the button bring the coil back into the target area. If you push the pinpoint button over the tagret it can give you inaccurate reading.

thx jeff will try that when u say things that are deep though how deep does this machine go with say coin size objects cos on one or two things its showing 12 inches or more

On my GTI the imaging feature usually works great to about 6" or so, anything deeper than that and it'll get jumpy. On deeper targets a good fix is to detune over the target. It'll narrow down the target + help with the jumpy or wrong imaging size.

When your off by 6" after pinpointing is this on shallow targets 2" or less? If so try raising your coil 3 to 4" then pinpoint again

no mega only on deep targets am i off thing is if my screen says 12 inches how deep could it mean i did dig one hole went down 1bout 10 inches stuck the coil in and it was still showing 12 inches when u say detune do u mean pressing the treasure image repeatedly also the sensitivity ive kept mine on 9 as it seems ok its the threashold that bugs me i put it so i can just hear it but what exactly is it and why would i want it louder/silent there seems to be no diff when i tried this out with a buried coin is it just for satisfaction that you know the machine is working? thx again

Actually the threshold on any garrett should be set to the very quietest setting. In other words the hum from the machine should just be a whisper. And thats with headphones on. That will give you max depth and sensitivty. The only way to settle the 12" thing Paul is to dig until you find it. When that happens to me it is usually some huge piece of junk that due to it's size throws the machine off.
Next time you get any very deep readings. Lift your coil 5-6" above the target. If it is still giving you a signal it is a big target and probably junk. If the sound disappears then it is a small target and needs to be investigated.
I think from reading your post your judging your depth from the imaging. Don't rely on that specifically. That and the tone, target ID(lock on) and the pinpointing depth all are pieces of the puzzle that have to be considered.
In the first post I mentioned scuffing the ground with your shoe and then re-evaluating the target. I still think this is an invaluable piece of information that will lessen the amount of trash you dig or mis-identify.

I set my sensitivity at 7.5, in my area, setting higher (8.5+) I get a lot of bouncy readings. I set the threshold to where it is barely heard and go up just a touch more.

I have used the ground scuff and it has worked in some cases.

For the deep signals, dig as many as possible until you understand what the detector is telling you versus what is actually there. On mine, 0-6" is dead on for what it is and location. Deeper targets have a bit more of a learning curve to know what the detector readout and sounds are saying.

Jeff, some good tips!

Good luck

just got back in from the local field and found a wait for it wait for it 24k mens gold ring it is a bit battered though might have caught it with my trowel but this is my second ring in a week i use relic mode setting and as u say just a slight hum on the threashold sensitivity was 7 and chuffed as hell

heres the gold ring i found today also the smaller ring which i cracked at the back

Attachments

• 2 rings.jpg
    2 rings.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 477
:shock: Nice rings Jeff. With rings like that it doesnt seem like your having to much a problem. Good going

when yuo detune your actually shringing the targets signal inwards making for a very precise pinpoint. (which works great on smaller targets like coin and rings)

Detune a target.
What you do is> find a target, x it in and then hold the pinpoint button until your over the center of the target, now release the pinpoint button and press and hold the pinpoint button again, it should shrink the target response. If it happens to null out (goes silent) your coil is probably to close to the target, then just raise the coil a couple inches and repeat.

Hey you might wanna look at the treasuredepot. Under the garrett forum is a archive search button which has a alot of info on the GTI series detectors.
http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/

Back
Top Bottom