Early Arrival! See any issues?

TK-421

So I'm suuuuuuper excited that the used Sand Shark I ordered from the states arrived today!! :D From payment to delivery it was 10 days! And it was supposed to arrive on the 19th according to the shipment tracker! It cleared customs really fast, apparently.

Anyhow, it was extremely well wrapped for shipping and looks to me like it's in great condition (they even shipped it with batteries so I was able to check that it does indeed turn on), but I want to make sure y'all experienced Sand Shark owners don't see any problems with it before I take it out.

And I have another question: the O-ring is in there reeeeally snugly. Just wanted to make sure--is it OK to carefully pry it out in order to clean and lubricate it? It looks pretty clean already, of course, but I want to make sure and prep it correctly before I take the machine near any water.

Also a little bummed-- I've got the next couple days off of work but we've been having this never-ending string of epic thunderstorms that are theoretically going to carry on through next week!:no: I'm all about detecting in the rain (it was so annoying to have to run for cover with the TK4 at every passing shower) but not too interested in taking chances with lightning. And the tides are heading toward the crappy end of the cycle. Still, once I get the Shark ready to go I'll be keeping an eye out for my chance! It'll be so nice not to have to wait for ultra-low tides! :grin:

So here are photos of the SS, close up on those connection points. I forgot to get a shot of the inside of the box, but I did open it up and it looks pristine. Definitely let me know if you see anything that I should worry about!

Attachments

• File_001.jpg
    File_001.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 337
  • File_000.jpg
    File_000.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 341
  • File_004.jpg
    File_004.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 352
  • File_003.jpg
    File_003.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 330
  • File_002.jpg
    File_002.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 331
Don't pry it out. Lubricate the side that is visible only and wipe the surface it mates to of sand water or dirt. Looks like a newer model that has seen very little use.

Good luck with the new heater!

Looks good. Probably want to toss the black coil cover and look into buying more rubber washers for the coil. They go quick and the coil flops up and down.
A straight shaft with behind the elbow mount will make a world of difference swinging. Stock shaft gets real heavy real quick.
Good luck and can't wait to see your first honker or big necklace.

Last edited:
Congratulations on you new used machine your going to need a good scoop and big collection bag that thing will give a return on even the smallest pieces of metal good luck hope to see some pics of treasure soon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Don't pry it out. Lubricate the side that is visible only and wipe the surface it mates to of sand water or dirt. Looks like a newer model that has seen very little use. Good luck with the new heater!

X2!!!
I think I will be missing your 1st yellows with your new weapon since I'm leaving tonight for my over month long hike in Spain. Here's your own :dingding: for the 1st of many golds you will be getting with it.

So I'm suuuuuuper excited that the used Sand Shark I ordered from the states arrived today!! :D

Congrats and like others mentioned, keep your eye out for a straight shaft. It will really reduce fatigue so you can hunt longer!
-David :clapping::thumbsup::woot:

Congrats and like others mentioned, keep your eye out for a straight shaft. It will really reduce fatigue so you can hunt longer!

X2 on the straight shaft!! i made my own. It's easy and I'm sure there are plenty of YouTube videos for you to access.

That looks great TK! ...and in great condition. You've been killing it with the BH, can't wait to see what you do with this!

Looks good and you'll be raking in the yellow soon enough. Stay off the beach with the lightning in the area. You don't want to be the tallest thing on the beach with a lighting rod in your hand grounded to the ocean.

Be safe out there!

Don't pry it out. Lubricate the side that is visible only and wipe the surface it mates to of sand water or dirt. Looks like a newer model that has seen very little use.

Good luck with the new heater!

Good to know! Thanks! Yeah, it looks lightly used and well cared for. Lucky!

Looks good. Probably want to toss the black coil cover and look into buying more rubber washers for the coil. They go quick and the coil flops up and down.
A straight shaft with behind the elbow mount will make a world of difference swinging. Stock shaft gets real heavy real quick.
Good luck and can't wait to see your first honker or big necklace.

Hm, I've never used a coil cover before. What's it for and why should i get rid of it? Also, where would i put rubber washers on the coil? The shaft fits into the slot really tight-- no room for washers.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for a straight shaft. The SS box feels pretty heavy compared to the TK4, but I'm not sure how swinging in water will affect the weight factor.

Thanks for the advice!

Good Luck!!

Arigato!

Congratulations on you new used machine your going to need a good scoop and big collection bag that thing will give a return on even the smallest pieces of metal good luck hope to see some pics of treasure soon

Yeah, I'm already anticipating some troubles with the long-handled scoop i inherited-- it's got very big holes and it's crazy heavy. But I could barely afford the SS, so getting a good scoop will have to wait for now.

Heh, I've heard of these 'bobbypins' that my TK4 has never ever managed to find. Very curious to see whether they'll show up in droves over here too. I imagine so! Should be interesting to see what I dig up now that I'll have more depth.

X2!!!
I think I will be missing your 1st yellows with your new weapon since I'm leaving tonight for my over month long hike in Spain. Here's your own :dingding: for the 1st of many golds you will be getting with it.

Arigato Felix-san! I will try not to disappoint. We're also heading into typhoon season right now, and those typhoons totally rip up the coastlines here. I heard good things from Onthespot about post-typhoon hunting, so I'm glad I'm now properly equipped to raid the beaches right after the storms! Have an amazing hike! I did a lot of backpacking in Andorra-- absolutely beautiful country out there!

Arigato! I'll see what I can do! :yes:

You can swing for hours if you hip mount the control box.:yes:
Interesting option. Does that require a special harness or something? Or do people just macgyver something that suits them?

That looks great TK! ...and in great condition. You've been killing it with the BH, can't wait to see what you do with this!
Arigato! Hehe, I'm cautiously optimistic!

Ridiculously good looking machine I'm jelly!

Can't wait to see the gold you nab with that bad boy!

Congrats!
Arigato! I was lucky to find such a good deal! And they were even willing to ship it all the way to Japan!

Looks good and you'll be raking in the yellow soon enough. Stay off the beach with the lightning in the area. You don't want to be the tallest thing on the beach with a lighting rod in your hand grounded to the ocean.

Be safe out there!
True true. I can see the lighting striking the ocean from my apartment. I definitely don't want to be near any of that action!

I'm eyeing a break in the weather early tomorrow. It doesn't coincide with any kind of good tide, but at least I might be able to hit a local trashy beach and start breaking in the SS. It functions rather differently from the TK4, so I'll need to spend some time learning. Definitely can't wait to get into the water though. That's were I really need practice!

Looks super clean and well cared for! :cool:
I see much Gold and Platinum in your future, Beachhopper! . aawise.jpg

Having used/owned multiple SS it looks to be in good condition to me. All this talk about it needing a straight shaft...it doesn't. Sand Shark factory shaft is very ergonomic and the thin coil = very little resistance. If it were a stock DF or Excal then I'd absolutely agree with a straight shaft but the stock Sand Shark shaft works great right out of the box.

Back
Top Bottom