Be careful where you step!

Chipk

Elite Member
Yesterday evening I went to Fernandina Beach, Florida to Seaside Park.

Sadly the locals and tourists can't seem to get the idea of taking their trash off the beach. I spend most of my time picking up trash from food wrappers to dirty diapers.

But yesterday was a new low.

I was swinging the Sand Shark and got a signal. Soon I dug out a fishing lure. Than another. And another. And yet, another. Then a couple of fishing weights and a huge hook. All were in a foot and a half square area.

It was obvious to me that a lazy fisherman simply dumped out his tackle box onto the sand and left it there. The previous evening I picked up an empty Plano storage box which are often used as tackle boxes. It was in the same area.

There were numerous children playing nearby. Almost everyone was barefoot. Anyone stepping into that spot would have had their day at the beach come to a very painful end.

Sad that people have no respect. No respect for the natural beauty of our world and no respect for their fellow man.

Attachments

• IMG_1978.jpg
    IMG_1978.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 475
Glad you found them before a couple 4 year old's did. Sad the stuff we find in areas that ought to be respected and kept clean.

Great job taking care of that mess! That would be sooooo nasty to step on!

Just another example of why detectorists are good for beaches! We pull all kinds of sharp, rusty, hazardous stuff off of beaches, ne.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

I suspect a spill, not a dump. Good fishing lures are not cheap.

BCD

I think dump. The night before I found an empty Plano storage box in the same area. Those are not saltwater fishing lures, the weights are too small for surf fishing and that hook is ridiculous. I think someone became unhappy that they bought the wrong gear and abandoned it.

Right behind this stuff we picked up a very large and expensive kite. The people sitting nearby said the people brought it down, assembled it, tried to fly it and then threw it down and walked off the beach. I find brand new chairs, coolers, and all kinds of stuff abandoned on the beach all the time. Ridiculous.

Last year I found a burned out sparkler just under the sand. People just throw them in the water for fun with no thought that someone will step on one. Idiots. Found a few fish hooks too but that can happen sometimes.

yes, it's downright disgusting what we'll find at times, but on the other hand i'm glad that we DO find that stuff! saves a lot of potential misery for unsuspecting feet! :yes:

If you hunt the beach you find stuff like that.... its what you do. Thanks for pulling these hazardous off the beach and keeping the rest of us safe.

Back
Top Bottom