ACE 250 Depth Test

local_coins

Elite Member
Had some rainy nights lately so I finally did something I should have done a lond time ago! I did a complete air test on my ACE 250. I highly reccomend the experience because I learned alot while doing the test.

A couple things I would like to mention up front:

Keep in mind that the detection zone on the ACE 250 looks like an upside-down Hershey's Kiss. That means the deepest detection area is only small point in the ground.

The test was done in All-Metal mode only. I have been using this mode more and more lately. It helps to really give a distinct tone among all of the other interference.

The coins used were all pre-1964 coins. No zinc Lincolns or clad was used in this test! Only coins that you really want to find :grin:

All depths are in inches, sorry to all of our metric friends.

Laslty, any depth with a * next to it means that the tone was only heard on about 50% of the passes under the coil. Any of the * marked depths became consistent if I moved 1/2 inch closer to the coil.

Heres my chart...enjoy!

Attachments

• ACE250 Depth Test.JPG
    ACE250 Depth Test.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,454
Wow, nice data. I have an Ace 250 as well, I did a simple air test as well but I like the data you put together. I will do the same tests to see if the results "line up". thanks for putting this together.

DMan

The field pattern on the Ace and detectors with similar oval shaped coils is not quite like an upside down Hershey kiss. That is true for round coils but the oval coil provides a bit different pattern. It "pushes" or "squashes" the pattern inward to form a 2 to 4 " wide field down the middle of the coil. That's why its a bit more difficult to pinpoint with one of them over a concentric round coil. The oval coil on the Ace is NOT a DD coil. It is still considered a concentric coil.
The results you acheived are typical for this detector with the standard coil. The maximum depth you encountered is the maximum potential of the Ace 250. Air tests however are not indicative of the results you will encounter in the field. All metal mode on the Ace is really just a lack of discrimination and not a "true" VLF all metal mode. You would get similar results on the same targets in any mode in an air test.
Thanks for the chart :yes: It is informative and does show the capabilities to some degree of this hot little starter detector. :grin:

Tony-

I appreciate the correction on my mis-information about the coil pattern. I did not know this. If I understand correctly, Does that mean that the search pattern is wider at a greater depth than a true circular coil of the same strength?

Thanks again, LC

It is close to the length of the coil so in essecence your statement is correct. :grin:

Tony - How many inches would you expect to gain with the larger coil on this test? Would it be smart to buy the coil or save for a stronger machine? Thank you, you are very informative!

Generally you can expect from 10 to 20 % more depth. Others will disagree but this is generally the case in my opinion. I would save for the better detector since you didn't get the Pro pack to begin with. If this new detector is way down the road the larger coil may be of value till then. :grin:

Back
Top Bottom