NOX 600 - Pre delivery questions

TheCoilist

Elite Member
Mine is in the mail! Excited!

Were there any known bugs or issues with the machine at first roll out? I want to know what to look for in case of old stock.

One more thing. I see all the VDI charts people have put together, but let’s make this fun... what are your MUST dig VDI numbers? What do you not pass up?

Need a quick set of numbers or a range to test at the local park and tot lot.

The version should be printed on the box. Dig everything for awhile that’s the best way to learn. Good luck!

Were there any known bugs or issues with the machine at first roll out? I want to know what to look for in case of old stock.

One more thing. I see all the VDI charts people have put together, but let’s make this fun... what are your MUST dig VDI numbers? What do you not pass up?

24 ID numbers and higher.
Dig the 18s and 19s
Dig the 12s a d 13s.

20-21 can be the mighty aluminum twist caps.

Duller sounding 13s could be crown caps.

This will get you started.
Park 1
Speed 3 iron bias 4 (corrected speed setting).
Sens 20-21
50 tones or 5 tones.

Last edited:
I dig anything over 20 personally. If it's a solid 12-13 I'll dig that pull tab on the outside chance it's a nickel or gold.

I tend to get excited when I see a deeper 11-13 (deep nickel), a 17-19 (IHP) or any deep signal in the mid 20s on up. Of course coins can read all over the place depending on the soil so I’d dig everything at first. Good luck with the new detector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Took the box 600 out for the first time today. Out of the box and on charge over night. It didn’t get turned on until at my hunting location. Fired it up and holy !!!! this thing chatters a lot!

Figured it all out. Sorta. Keep in mind I have no field manual nor did I read the manual. The one thing I haven’t figured out yet is iron bias. Wasn’t sure how to adjust that. I will need to investigate the settings further.

I did manage to quiet the machine and did a small hunt. The 11” coil sure gets a lot of targets under it making it hard to pinpoint the good from the rest. But I will say this thing is a penny pincher. It loves copper.

Aside from the nickel I found, everything else was penny’s and copper. One wheat and a copper pendant ware the best of it this time around. I had numbers in every range chiming at me that it got overwhelming. Wasn’t sure what to dig and a single pass had multiple targets. Nails and pennies, foils and time.

I think it has potential, just have to get dialed in!

Took the box 600 out for the first time today. Out of the box and on charge over night. It didn’t get turned on until at my hunting location. Fired it up and holy !!!! this thing chatters a lot!

Figured it all out. Sorta. Keep in mind I have no field manual nor did I read the manual. The one thing I haven’t figured out yet is iron bias. Wasn’t sure how to adjust that. I will need to investigate the settings further.

I did manage to quiet the machine and did a small hunt. The 11” coil sure gets a lot of targets under it making it hard to pinpoint the good from the rest. But I will say this thing is a penny pincher. It loves copper.

Aside from the nickel I found, everything else was penny’s and copper. One wheat and a copper pendant ware the best of it this time around. I had numbers in every range chiming at me that it got overwhelming. Wasn’t sure what to dig and a single pass had multiple targets. Nails and pennies, foils and time.

Sounds you you survived your first day with Nox.
Thanks for sharing.
Advanced settings,,you’ll figure out how to access and adjust - in manual.
Cheers.

Tomorrow is another day.

Wow, remind me not to write a post on my iPhone again. I could barely understand my own post! And it changed a lot of words. Lol

Anyway, I didn’t even know how to access the advanced settings. Just the simple settings button was all I tinkered with today.

Get the 6" coil and :wow:, it picks through trash like a laser and goes surprisingly deep.:yes:
Found all this on the maiden voyage of the 6" coil out of a couple tot lots behind a middle/high school. The earring is silver with small diamonds on it.

Attachments

• March 2019.jpg
    March 2019.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 612
Get the 6" coil and :wow:, it picks through trash like a laser and goes surprisingly deep.:yes:
Found all this on the maiden voyage of the 6" coil out of a couple tot lots behind a middle/high school. The earring is silver with small diamonds on it.

Do you recall what VDI numbers you got from the stud earring?

Though still a novice after one season with my 600, the best advice I can offer is to do your own tests with a variety of coins to see what they read on the NOX. Our coins here in Canada are different than the Yank coins which makes them hard to find with the Nox (harder than it was with the ACE250).

I did tests with various rings I had previously found and my wedding band only to find out that they fall within the same range as pull tabs, twist caps and 'other' targets in the dirt or sand.. pulls tabs come up as 12-13-14 but my wedding band also falls within that range depending on the mode used. Confusing for me.. But slowly but surely, I think I'm figuring it out... or not.. No matter, it gets me out of the house ;) The ONLY target that I am positive with are pennies which come up as 22.. finding lots of those. I'll have my Nox paid for in oh a few decades...

Wow, remind me not to write a post on my iPhone again. I could barely understand my own post! And it changed a lot of words. Lol

Anyway, I didn’t even know how to access the advanced settings. Just the simple settings button was all I tinkered with today.

To access the advanced settings, like iron bias for example, go to the very last setting and hold the setting button down for 2 seconds and it put a line under the icon indicating the iron bias setting.

Each setting has an advanced setting that is accessed by holding down the setting button.

If you can’t print the manual at least go online and take a look at it.

Make a test garden by burying some coins in your yard or flower garden. 4-8" deep, keep track of their locations ( colored dowl rods if in the flowers ) . You can keep going back to them when changing detector settings. You can bury nails, pull tabs, etc.

I've had my 800 since last September. I probably have about 150 field hours on it, mostly in trashy parks but I am far from an expert on it. I read the manual, and watched a couple of youtube vids to help me understand how to adjust the advanced settings, recovery speed , iron bias and how to change the tones, and notch out the junk. I am still using Park 1 in 5 tones 90% of the time. No amount of time fiddling with the settings can replace actual time in the field. I recently had my best day ever on silver coins (4). I have found 13 of my 16 total silver coins with the Equinox in the same heavily detected, trash filled park. Prior to getting my 800, other than a mountain of junk and some shallow clad, I had found only 2 silver dimes, both of them in the same private yard.
My current Equinox 800 settings are as follows:
software version 1.75, multi freq and tracking ground balance on.
Sensitivity 20-23 depending on EMI and soil mineralization, recovery speed at 5-7 depending on trash density and Iron bias set at 3. I notch out all iron, (-9-0) so I don't hear it at all, all non ferrous below 11 is audible but in low volume (5) and a low tone (2). Numbers 11-13 are louder and higher (volume and tone both set at 12). Numbers 14-21 are audible but set back at volume 5 and tone 2. Numbers 22 and higher are set at 25 and 25 ( loudest and highest).
I dig every repeatable 11-13 , most are pulltabs or beaver tails but every nickel I have found has been a semi solid repeatable 13. I rarely dig anything 14-21 unless it is deep and repeatable but it is still almost always junk. Anything over 22 screams at you. 22- 25 is usually a copper memorial or wheat penny, 25-28 is a dime or silver ring, 29-33 is a quarter or aluminum screw cap. I have only dug 2 clad halves, both were solid 32s. For me, anything higher than 33 has been a crushed aluminum can or a sprinkler head.

With these settings, I avoid most trash and zinc pennies, I can pick though the trash with the stock 11 inch coil reasonably well. I am also missing gold and no doubt, some cool non ferrous rings and trinkets, but this works for me on silver, and still allows me to hear most everything else and decide to dig or not.
Good luck and I hope this helps.

The biggest issue with the Equinox detectors is that you won't be able to put them down once you start using them but we are here to help with the addiction. You chose wisely Indiana Jones.:yes:

Make sure your cell phone is in airplane mode if carrying with you while hunting.

Back
Top Bottom