COINSTAR Customer Service Tale

jimther

Elite Member
I had a reason to call Coinstar's Customer Service folks yesterday, after the AMAZON Gift Card Code on the receipt was rejected as invalid when I tried to redeem it at Amazon.com

After we straightened out the problem the guy asks me if there was anything else he could help me with. My reply: "Well, since you asked, I should mention that this was my first time ever using a COINSTAR, and I was pretty disappointed in the total amount on the receipt ($47.52) when I definitely brought in a little over $50 in coins to cash in. Even though a small handful of coins was initially rejected, they were taken by the machine (except for a couple) on the 2nd pass, but my receipt total did not increase. I should have called Customer Service the same day to complain, but I forgot, then I just let it go. Is this a common thing to happen to customers?"

His response floored me. He said that the machines only accept coins dated 1979 or later. When I asked how the machines know which coins are 1979 or later, he said "They can read the date." I pursued that more by saying that my understanding was that reject or accept was based on the coin's metallic composition and not date, and mentioned that U.S. clad coinage began in 1965 and there was no composition change at the 1979 date threshold.

He said that was the information given in his training. I said that I didn't think their machines had the technology that could actually read dates and mentioned the composition reject/accept thing again. He was getting flustered by now and so I just said I would like to make a polite and respectful suggestion that he revisit his training in this regard.

Maybe the guy was correct about date-based rejection, but that has never been my understanding after reading numerous COINSTAR threads here. Am I all wet ?

Jim

I gotten many coins from Coinstar both before and after 1979. I think the person you were talking to didn't know what he was talking about and just said whatever came into his head.

Accepted based on weight and size is what I have always been told. I seriously doubt the veracity of his statement that they can read the date.

As a Mega Claddy Coinstar Redemption user, quite familiar with these wonderful machines....I myself have experienced this exact scenario many times....the machine finishes the count, you dump in a few extra pennies or whatnot to bring the total to a round number....thinking, OK, It says I got $19.97 payoff, so by dropping in a few more pennies will get me $20 right? Not necessarily! Sometimes its only 3 more added, sometimes it takes five to hit the $20! I figure its got something to do with the percentage parameters...I dont know precisely, all I know is I can find all sorts of pennies all day long so considering tumbling and rolling, I think "WTH is a few pennies here or there?"...:laughing:

Great post though! I had no idea you could actually call a Coinstar Kid for satisfaction! And yes, its a good idea to know your total value of dump in clad, figure the percentages, and know what you got coming roundabouts...I'm sure most ALL people that use the Coinstars dont care or even know what value + or - a dollar of what they dump in.....

Interesting...I've always trusted the machines to do the counting. One more reason for me to break down and buy a coin counter for myself.

There's no way those machines read the dates...while the technology exists, it's certainly not in a coinstar machine. The cost would outweigh the benefits

It's interesting though that they didn't explain why your total was different than you pumped in. Is that intentional on their part perhaps? What happens to those coins? Is there a hidden reject tray that we could access?

No way can one of those machines read the dates. Haha. 1979? What an odd date to "supposedly" draw the line. I'm a product of 1978. Not ready to be a reject just yet.

I just did a search and found this site, how accurate the info at this link is I can't say for sure:

https://www.fuzeqna.com/orangecountys/ext/kb1474-coin-coinstar-type-voucher-star-nickel-dime-quarter-penny-what-types-of-coins-will-a-coinstar

from the above link:

Coinstar machines in the US will take the following coin:

1 Cent (except 1943 Steel and Indian head)
5 Cent (all, including new design)
10 Cent (except Silver 1964 and prior)
25 Cent (except Silver 1964 and prior) (including State series)
50 Cent (except Silver 1969 and prior)
1 Dollar (Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea and newer Presidential series)(except Eisenhower dollars)

also found this link:

https://coincollector.org/rare-coins-can-vanish-in-counting-machines/

from the above link:

"Coinstar spokeswoman Marci Maule says. “Coins including the Eisenhower silver dollar and 1943 steel pennies may not be returned to the customer. This is stated on our user interface before the user begins a transaction, so we suggest that they sort these out along with foreign coin.”"

I'm thinking it sorts them based on mint marks, and organizers each denomination in chronological order as well.

I just did a search and found this site, how accurate the info at this link is I can't say for sure:

https://www.fuzeqna.com/orangecountys/ext/kb1474-coin-coinstar-type-voucher-star-nickel-dime-quarter-penny-what-types-of-coins-will-a-coinstar

from the above link:

Coinstar machines in the US will take the following coin:

1 Cent (except 1943 Steel and Indian head)
5 Cent (all, including new design)
10 Cent (except Silver 1964 and prior)
25 Cent (except Silver 1964 and prior) (including State series)
50 Cent (except Silver 1969 and prior)
1 Dollar (Susan B Anthony, Sacagawea and newer Presidential series)(except Eisenhower dollars)

also found this link:

https://coincollector.org/rare-coins-can-vanish-in-counting-machines/

from the above link:

"Coinstar spokeswoman Marci Maule says. “Coins including the Eisenhower silver dollar and 1943 steel pennies may not be returned to the customer. This is stated on our user interface before the user begins a transaction, so we suggest that they sort these out along with foreign coin.”"

I've never seen anything on the interface stating anything of the sort. IF they don't accept the coin, then it should be returned.

I've never seen anything on the interface stating anything of the sort. IF they don't accept the coin, then it should be returned.

I agree it should be returned, I did remember hearing in the past about an internal cup also so I did another search, again I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info at this link, but maybe further research might find more verifiable sources.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Silverbugs/comments/7xqteh/question_about_coinstar_finds/

from the above link:

"All of these machines have an internal trash/reject cup in addition to the external one. You can talk to someone at the store and ask to check the dirt cup. They may pretend like they don't know what you are talking about or say that they can't, but the fact is that someone at the store has a key and anything in that cup wasn't counted so it should be fair game."

…….I think there is a member of the forum who does a Coinstar route if I remember correctly, they should know, hopefully they'll see this thread.

... What happens to those coins? Is there a hidden reject tray that we could access?

Yes, there is another reject tray. But, unfortunately it is internal and can't be accessed without opening up the mashine. :( I've seen them open up a machine, and next to the reject tray there is an internal one, where some foreign coins, some silver, and who knows what else go. ScubaDetector had a similar experience and he said he saw them open it once and there were 2 Morgan Dollars in the internal reject tray in this post: Scuba's post. Just mind blowing! :shock: :shock:

Now I'm just saying, use this info or not, speaking about Coinstar function and engineering.... I have heard that if a plucky lad takes a shred of towel or a sponge or tape or something, and stuffs it up into the reject slot of a Coinstar during a busy afternoon, and then innocently watches a few pours from a safe distance, He may then saunter on over and unplug the machine and make some real reject tray payoff! :laughing:

Just saying...you never know when a guy might need to make a few bucks right?:laughing:

Now I'm just saying, use this info or not, speaking about Coinstar function and engineering.... I have heard that if a plucky lad takes a shred of towel or a sponge or tape or something, and stuffs it up into the reject slot of a Coinstar during a busy afternoon, and then innocently watches a few pours from a safe distance, He may then saunter on over and unplug the machine and make some real reject tray payoff! :laughing:

Just saying...you never know when a guy might need to make a few bucks right?:laughing:

Or, even less noticeable from the standpoint of execution, just put a piece of cloth or napkin in the bottom of the tray so that it dampens the noise.

Back
Top Bottom