My Dual Field Review After 2.5 Weeks of Use...

Metal Marauder

Elite Member
First of all, let me preface my remarks by saying that 2 and a half weeks is probably not enough time to give an accurate review about the remarkable capabilities of the White's Surf PI Dual Field. Secondly, I am a novice detectorist, so my insight into the more technical aspects of the Dual Field will also be limited. With that being said, this is my review...

Without a doubt, the White's Surf PI Dual Field has what it takes to be one of the best water detectors on the market. I was expecting to find plenty of coins (which I did) and eventually find the good stuff...jewelry, silver and gold. What I wasn't expecting was to find so much of it so quickly. So, how much of it is the ability of the detector to find the good stuff and how much of it is the fact that I might be in a place that is basically virgin territory to metal detectors? Probably a little of both.

I did what everyone said to do...dig all the targets. I dug so much the first day (I went out on an empty stomach with little hydration or sleep) that I got woozy after an hour and had to quit :lol: I easily dug quarters at 18" and dug other targets that were even deeper and eventually had to give up. Still wondering what was so deep? I found gold on my second hunt of the first day of owning my Dual Field. I also had a 5 ring day somewhere along the end of my first week or the beginning of my second week. I found so many rings, I started calling my Dual Field "Ring Slayer" and my scoop "Sir Scoops-A-Lot :laughing: All in all, I have to give the Dual Field a resounding 10 out of 10 for sniffing out a lot of rings, jewely, silver, gold and coins.

As far a durability and ruggedness, I have to say my coil possibly failed in the middle of the third week. I should know more about this next week as the Dual Field is on it's way to Sweet Home Oregon for warranty repairs. I sent it Express mail from Guam and it was $71 bucks one way :shock: I also have to pay return shipping, so repairs suck. If I just got a bum coil, then I am a little ticked off that I'm going to be out $125-$150 in shipping costs. I'm sure if I was stateside, then the shipping would have been way more reasonable. Could I have done something to cause the coil to fail? I don't think so, but I have some thoughts on that (which I have already shared). I tended to lean on the Dual Field while scooping for stabilization. Maybe the downward pressure caused the coil to fail. It's not like I put my whole body weight on it, but I used it to stabilize myself. Also, as mentioned before, the velcro strap near the coil doesn't hold enough slack in the wire, and when the coil flexes, then the wire gets too much tension. Maybe that caused the coil to fail? Or maybe it was just a bad coil. I know the Dual Field can be a long lasting detector, as exhibited by Cupajo and some of the other vets. Even Craig had an initial coil fail, only to have it replaced without further incident. So right now I am giving the dual field a 7 out of 10 for durability and ruggedness based on my experience and what kind of life I have seen others get out of their machines. I will probably revisit the durability and ruggedness issue further down the road. I will certainly make some modifications to the way I use the Dual Field when I receive it back. Simple stuff like securing the wire with black electrical tape, using a coil stabilization bracket and letting go of the detector while I am scooping.

So now on to the pictures of the good stuff. First picture is of the 14 rings I found (back row junk, middle two rows .925 silver and first row 18k and 10k). Second picture 9 pieces of .925 silver. Third picture the yellow stuff 18k, 10k and gold-plated. Hell yeah I'm counting the gold-plated (rookies get to count the gold plated for at least the first 90 days :laughing: ). Forth picture is all the junk, one nice stainless in there with Chinese or Japanese inscription. Last picture is a couple tags, a game token and a beaver tail. Using the treasure calculator (Dendritics) my finds for the 2.5 weeks of hunting (silver, gold and clad) totaled up to $194 dollars. I hope when I get the Dual Field back I can start posting some cool finds again. Thanks for looking and keep stackin' that silver and gold everybody :pirates:

Attachments

• DFReview 004.jpg
    DFReview 004.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2,772
  • DFReview 007.jpg
    DFReview 007.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 2,676
  • DFReview 008.jpg
    DFReview 008.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 2,815
  • DFReview 009.jpg
    DFReview 009.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2,787
  • DFReview 010.jpg
    DFReview 010.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 2,669
Now thats what we're talking about. Very, Very nice finds. I sold my head hunter PI last month & when we move to Fl; I just might buy another PI unit.The only thing is , my arm hurts:laughing::lol:

Good job on the finds but stop using the detector as a crutch or you may break off the ears on the coil.... many guys do the same thing... I carry two extra parts of everything with me... 2 of my hunting friends also used their machines as their crutch and snapped their lower shafts I let them use the extra lower shafts until they got their own replacement parts... they are not made for that :lol:

Ohhh man !!
That's what we a want to see and hear :yes:

What an incredible start !!

All you guys have made me a total believer in that machine and it will be in my future :)

I wish you continued Good Luck !!

Good job on the finds but stop using the detector as a crutch or you may break off the ears on the coil.... many guys do the same thing... I carry two extra parts of everything with me... 2 of my hunting friends also used their machines as their crutch and snapped their lower shafts I let them use the extra lower shafts until they got their own replacement parts... they are not made for that :lol:

Roger that, loud and clear! Can't say if that was the cause of the coil failure, but will definitely stop using the metal detector like a crutch... :lol:

Nice finds! I should hve my Dual Field any day now. I hope I'm as lucky as you. I too seemed to notice on my current detector that that I kind of lean on it. That's why I got the PI so I could let it go and dig and not lean on it klike I do now. Good thread.

I think you are on track for a load of loot with your Dual Field. Both location and pratice will more than pay for your machine and shipping cost in no time from what you have already posted. Great machine and the best service people around IMO. With an address like Pleasant Valley Road, Sweet Home USA what would you expect! :laughing::laughing: Good Luck, Jim

Instead of just letting it sink, I've tied a cord around the hand end and about 3/4 way down the shaft (like a guitar strap). It keeps it handy and no sitting around in the sand.
I've caught myself about to lean on it at times...That's some great treasure there! Looks like you got a great area there.

Great info and finds to share.

As you saw in my DF post I still lean gently and sometimes not so gently on my DF.

When digging among the stones under the sand I will sometimes stand on the back plate of my scoop and junp on it to force the bucket down among the stones while using my DF for ballance.

By re-enforcing all the weak points of the DF including replacing the shaft with a welded SS one I built for another machine years ago and the lower rod with an industrial grade solid nylon rod.

It is a heavy combination, but has worked amazingly well for the way I hunt.

GL&HH,

CJ

If it is under warranty Whites usually will cover shipping back to you. Learn to dig one handed, lean on the scoop if need be. Two handed takes too much time to scoop, then check to see if the target is still there.

When you dig, move your detector off to the side. Even in rough conditions my detector is still on my arm. I do dig with my non-dominate (weaker) arm. In rough water it is a huge time saver, and my missed targets are few...

If you need a contact for Whites, PM me, I know someone there that was very helpful. In fact an old post of mine mentions it... Nice pulls, wait till you really know the machine and get it tuned to the 'sweet spot'...;)

SSC:p

Thanks guys for all the encouraging words. I'm just playing the waiting game now. Hopefully Whites will spring for the return shipping. Chomping at the bit to get back out there...

You'll be back in it in no time Guam, great list of finds you have in such a short time hunting! :cool:

WOW great job Whites will do the right thing but spring for shipping? hmmm... They once replaced 3 coils out of warranty for MANY years but I paid the shipping and was happy to do so! Look on the bright side the detector and the shipping will be paid for in short order by your finds. Keep digging everything it's working and never get discouraged.

Nice finds there and sorry to hear you're out of the game at the moment with your DF. It's probably already in your plans but it's time like these that having a backup detector keeps you going in this addictive hobby. IMO I would get a VLF for a second detector since your beaches are virgin and probably loaded with trash as well as goodies, I'm sure what is not pictured is all the bottle caps, bobby pins and pull tabs? I was born in Guam and left there at 8 years old, still have many relatives there and have often thought about visiting with my MD in tow.:cool:

Nice finds there and sorry to hear you're out of the game at the moment with your DF. It's probably already in your plans but it's time like these that having a backup detector keeps you going in this addictive hobby. IMO I would get a VLF for a second detector since your beaches are virgin and probably loaded with trash as well as goodies, I'm sure what is not pictured is all the bottle caps, bobby pins and pull tabs? I was born in Guam and left there at 8 years old, still have many relatives there and have often thought about visiting with my MD in tow.:cool:

Nooo...don't come back with your detector :laughing: Yeah, I have a giant pile of pulltabs, bobby pins and bottle caps. I'm already planning on a couple more detectors. I want to get an Excal II as a backup water detector, plus the discrimination for the wet and dry sand that is super trashy. I would also like to eventually get a V3i for WWII relic hunting and anything else I might find...

Back
Top Bottom