Playground - pea gravel

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Researched some neighborhood playgrounds on-line. One listed three volleyball courts and two playgrounds! Drive over there to see that the volleyball courts are indoors and the playgrounds have pea gravel(on-line pics show wood chips but could be a stock photo). Anyone detect in pea gravel playgrounds? Coil cover would be a must I assume.

I found a sterling silver child's ring in pea gravel. :D Just sweep with your coil about 1" above ground to protect your coil. I don't have a coil cover; however, I have ordered one and it is in transit to me. :lol:

I prefer wood chips or sand...I really like sand, just have to sort of move it around with your toe to find coins. 8)

Watch your toes Bob... I found a hypodermic needle on the beach in my scoop 2 weeks ago.. Glass would be another problem... Congrats on the ring :)

we have a lot of pea gravel play areas here and had pretty good luck. It's not to bad - we just use our hand held water/beach scoops. Pea gravel filters thru, not like sand, but you do build up some strong forearms. Just like sifting flour.

I do prefer the woodchips. 8)

The vast majority of seashore homes in New Jersey have pea gravel instead of lawns. When I received my 1st MD, I had a blast while on vacation detecting dry sand and pea gravel areas. I detect the property of the house we rent every year, and have always come up with good stuff. Last summer was the 1st time using my Explorer, and I was finding the silver below the pea gravel. Most people will give you permission, as there is no lawn issue.

Cfmct-PI said:
Watch your toes Bob... I found a hypodermic needle on the beach in my scoop 2 weeks ago.. Glass would be another problem... Congrats on the ring :)

I do have shoes on :roll:

Watch out for what you dig also... an' gloves might not always help.

Attachments

• arrows_181.jpg
    arrows_181.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 700
I found one of those Krom. Sometimes I wear gloves, sometimes I don't. Either way, I try to be careful.

Fortunately, on both of these "bleeders", I wasn't diggin' up the business end. :D

The danger is always there and I don't think you can keep away from the possiblily of getting a cut. You just have to be careful. My worst contact so far has been bringing a condom out of a shallow hole. :shock: Now that was sick.

Like Forrest Gump says:
"Digging condoms while metal-detecting is like a box of chocolates. You jus' never know what your gonna catch!" :lol:

(Disc them out, Terry, right away!)

I have done some pea gravel lots, and I like the wood chips and sand the best. The pea gravel seems to do a lot of damage to some softer metals, and it can really be damaging to silver if it has been ground in for a while.

Good one Joe :lol:

Hey! What else can I say? That's one scarey find, guys.
Personally, I've never used one... an' I hope my 27 kids don't either! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom