County parks

Morgan44

I called and asked our parks dept. if metal detecting was allowed. I saw no signs, but the lady on the phone says no, not anymore. I asked why and was told they used to, but some bad apples left holes uncovered and ruined it for everyone else. She made me an offer to speak with the parks director and I accepted. It was a polite conversation that went back and forth. He asked if I found a $100 coin would I give it back? I said that was a little unrealistic. He said they don't allow anyone to conduct business in the parks and make money, and I would be making money in the park. I said yea maybe a small amount but I'm not billing and no one is actually paying me. Kind of silly right? Anyway he said give him a chance to think and talk about it the rest of the week. Then to call him early next week and we can have a chat about it. I threw out the idea of possibly making permits available. I think that would cut out some of the bad apples. Anyway, anyone have any ideas or experience about this.

canofworms.jpg

I am a stickler for getting permission before hunting and in parks i first read the park rules and regulations. I will also even ask a park worker or ranger if i see anyone around to ask, Never do i call to deal with someone on the phone to hunt parks, To many times the people you talk to give you the wrong info or tell you what they think it should be even if it's not banned. I agree with Sub Dude, You opened a can of worms and basicly screwed yourself. This is why it's so important to educate yourself and others on leaving no mess and even clean up behind the people to stupid to get it. I would suggest at the next park, read the rules and even look for a park worker to ask but don't call somebody who sits in an office all day and only hears about the bad stuff going on. That is a last resort that hopefully you don't have to persue again. Good luck

Well I just wanted to able to hunt without worrying and looking over my shoulder the whole time. I thought I would just cut out the middle man. I've seen it posted here before and agree that it's much more enjoyable when you have nothing to worry about and can just go about your business. I guess I thought I was doing the right thing. Hopefully I will pan out.

Well, you did the right thing by being polite, but my hunch is that when you call back, he will have had time to think up a better reason why you can't detect there. At least better than the "making money in the park" thing.

I detected one park for a period of about a year, about twenty times in all. Before going there I checked the park rules, and also the web site of the agency responsible for the park. No mention of MDing or any prohibition. One day a park guy stopped by and told me I couldn't do it. He said I could write a letter and request permission. Of course they wrote back denying it because of some BS about archaelogical resources. This was at a picnic area full of pull tabs and can slaw. The good part is that I did find some nice silver coins there before they stopped me.

hunt the parks here all the time had police stop by and talk and show them the trash Items I collect and then all of a sudden I had a fellow that worked for thee parks dept stop me and say i was not suppose to dig in the park I asked him why he looked at me and said because he said so . Picked up my phone called the city and put it on speaker phone and ask the question about searching the city parks the answer was it is Ok as long as I filled the holes and did not leave any trash items the guy looked at me and apologised but I always ask permission on the school grounds and only search them in the sommer time

Today I called the State Parks and Wildlife Dept. in Austin and asked about hunting the lakes along the receded water lines. They were very polite and told me that all Texas lakes were run by different controlling agencies and they were the thumbs up or down on hunting these areas. The lady asked which lakes I was interested in and then gave me the numbers to the controlling authorities for them. After a brief conversation with the person in charge I was told that I could certainly MD on the two lakes I was most interested in as long as I did not take any pottery or other relics of that type because the Texas Historical Society was strict on that sort of stuff. He then threw out that he "did not want to get a call every time someone finds an arrowhead to see if they could keep it." lol I got from that that a person should just put the stupid thing in their pocket and keep their mouth shut. :-) I will be at one of the lakes Saturday!

Here is what Dane County, Wisconsin has. They are good for two years I think and cost nothing. Just gotta read the "rules" Which is pretty much what we preach here. As for our state parks. NOPE, Nada> NO WAY. Heck, From what I've heard even the Wisconsin River and it's banks are off limits cause its "State property"?? Well, Whatever. If Im on one of the camping sandbars and have my machine with. Its gonna get scanned. Its PUBLIC property right? Oh well. As for where I live. No metal detecting allowed but I still do it in the parks and playgrounds. I just use no digging tools and stay in the sand, Wood chips, peagravel or chewed up rubber tires around the playground equip. But, I have heard of others digging the HighSchool grounds and grass areas in the parks so This summer, Im gonna have at it till Im told otherwise. Neat plugs, Trash taken with and the like so... We'll see what happens. In the eyes of the DNR and State agencies. Ignorance is no excuse for not knowing. Basically if you don't know you should not do it and anyone can say, "Oh, I didnt know I couldn't do this. ".. LOL

Back
Top Bottom