• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Freshwater lake

joshpughnaples

At one of my spots there is a freshwater lake where people swim thier is a section just for swimmers its a county park my question is would u search the water in that area?I have never been in freshwater because of alligators down Here,Im even scared to swim in lakes up north always just watch my kids play in the water.If it's a county park would their be any gators in the water???

I rather hunt at night in the ocean with a chum bag than hunt in a freshwater lake in FL... something about a death roll scares the crud out of me :laughing:

I hunt 1 freshwater lake here ...people have swam there for years. I've done well detecting in shallow water close the the shoreline (for a quick escape) . However the probability is low for a gator attack in this particular area. I know they are on the other side near the vegetation and overhangs where they love to ambush prey. But near the boat ramp, most all will not approach a human. If it's a lake where people feed and/or harass the gators, then don't go in.Thats when they get aggressive towards humans. The lake I hunt is clear water and I only go shin deep and keep my eyes peeled constantly. Worst case scenario: If he comes at ya, drop your gear, run behind him and grab it by the tail, and he's owned. :lol:

u go in water ill watch if no gaters then ill join u hehe. i would search it if people swim in it. if its a park city pays hospitals bill :laughing:

Wait a minute, you wont go in the water, but your ok with your kids going in? Are you video taping as well? Lol.

Get in there. The dragon is always protecting the good treasure.

sry this has nothing to do with metal detecting but it has to do with gators! I was fishing small lake off of lake Marion ...hooked a big 28 lb blue cat, had him right at the shore but was a big drop off and my small rod and lb test line couldnt pull him up and out...I hopped in the water for few minutes trying to grab this big blue to drag him out...finally got him out and celebrated! Decided to try another spot on this lake and while im walking I see a sign that says "DO NOT HARASS OR FEED ALLIGATORS"...i just thought about how lucky I was and backed away from that lake lol all that commotion while in the water I knew I had to attract an alligator...whew!

Someone educate me please. Can't 'you guys' get tags for alligators? Where are the Swamp People hunting them to be able to get the 100's of tags they talk about on the show? I am in Oregon where the worst thing we have to deal with is the Cougars (the big cats that is) coming after your designer dogs if you leave your front door open but I would like to take a crack at a 'gator someday.

Where im from its a limited about of tags given each year to only chosen people who applied for them. horry County, sc

At one of my spots there is a freshwater lake where people swim thier is a section just for swimmers its a county park my question is would u search the water in that area?I have never been in freshwater because of alligators down Here,Im even scared to swim in lakes up north always just watch my kids play in the water.If it's a county park would their be any gators in the water???

I would assume gators are in there. I've even seen them in urban retention ponds here!

I thought Florida folk were tough... :roll: haha! Scared of a little ol' lizard! ;) They are the keepers of the gold! :money:

Wait a minute, you wont go in the water, but your ok with your kids going in? Are you video taping as well? Lol.

Get in there. The dragon is always protecting the good treasure.
my kids only swim in the ocean,or up north in lakes,no freshwater swimming down here

Very doubtful on the Gaters . If it's a County park and they have a public beach, then the County keeps it cleaned out. I'd hunt it.

I'd hunt it anyway, what do ya want to live forever?

Heck I ride a motorcycle and run with sissors too! :D

We used to swim in the Silver river in Florida when we were kids and we always had one person on gator watch.

gators.

I'd hunt it but only when there are a lot of other people there making a lot of noise. If you go on a quiet day where you're the only one splashing then you could be a tempting meal. With a lot of people around, the gators will usually take off.

Back
Top Bottom